• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My KLR is cursed... if it isn't an ATV, it's a deer... DOH! - Back in the saddle!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab So after weeks of getting the KLR 650 ready for an upcoming trip to Mexico: new brakes, new wheel bearings, new sprockets and chain, blah blah blah... I rode it to work today for a shake down ride. On the way home, I hit a deer at about 35-40mph maybe. Hit it right in front of the back hips. The bar jammed my right hand/thumb pretty good, but nothing is broken. It is VERY sore and tender. I went down pretty hard on the left side. The bike was spinning at the same time that it was sliding. Unfortunately, my left leg/foot was still under the bike so I was dragged in circles. It was quite violent. When I finally stopped, the bike was about 5-10 feet from me. The deer apparently limped off into the woods.

:tab I was fully geared up, so no rash or major impact injuries. The gear seems to be in decent shape with only a few spots looking roughed up. There is a spot on my left knee where the armor did not cover very well. So that is bruised, but not very bad. I don't think the helmet ever hit the ground. The gloves did their job but will need to be replaced. However, my left ankle was not so lucky. It is fractured in two places. The pointy bone on the side is broken and then another part down in the joint. I got a temporary splint/cast and some painkillers. The painkiller they gave me right before I left the hospital made me feel incredibly queasy and dizzy. Thankfully, it has worn off. I prefer the pain to that feeling. Monday I will be visiting with a local ortho Doc to see if surgery will be required. The ER doc said the bones are fractured, but not splintered or crushed. The boots did a good job. They were brand new... doh! Anyway, they may allow it to heal on its own, otherwise...

:tab I've no idea what condition the bike is in. I did not get a look at it. This happened right at the big lake on Obannon Ranch Rd., off of FM 980 on the North side of town as you go back into where Mom and Dad live. The first guy on the scene arrived maybe a minute after I went down, called 911, then Mom and Dad so they were there pretty quick. The ambulance was there in about 10 minutes. Dad got the bike back over to the office for me. I warned the EMT's that I would soon be going into shock. They didn't really listen, but when they took the first BP reading and it was 80 over 40, that got their attention, that and the fact that I was fading. It is similar to what happens to Shane Christian (long time friend of mine), except that I only do it if actually injured instead of as a result of imagining it. Roy and Eric (the EMT's) were good guys. They DID listen when I asked them to put the IV in my hand rather than trying to hit a vein in my arms. My veins are exceptionally uncooperative in that regard and I have had some stubborn nurses cause me some serious grief before finally sticking it in my hand after all... :roll: So they gave me something to help stabilize the BP and put me on oxygen. That really helped a lot. By the time we reached the ER I was feeling pretty good. It could have been worse. People often die as the result of deer strikes, even in cars. So I came out pretty well.

:tab So far, I am 0 for 3 on trying to make this particular trip to Mexico for the last three years. Perhaps I am not taking a hint... :ponder:

Re: My KLR is cursed... if it isn't an ATV, it's a deer... DOH!

I. Hate. Deer. :angryfire

But I'm obviously very glad that your injuries were relatively minor. If the fractures aren't major, you should be mostly healed up in a few weeks.

I hope the bike is reasonably fixable. I've seen guys go down at 35 or 40 or dual sports, get up, dust off, get right back on, and keep going. Of course, in none of those instances was impact with a deer while riding a paved road part of the equation. The KLR is a tough bike. I bet bent forks will be your only major concern.

I'm very glad you're okay, Scott. Deer are stupid. I often find myself wishing for their extinction. Best wishes.

Ouch. Glad it wasn't worse. If you don't care for the narcotic pain killers, try Aleve (naproxen) or Motrin (ibuprophen). Keep it elevated and iced for a while. On the bright side, you can use your down time to search for a KTM. :trust:

:tab I left a funny part of the evening. I was heading home to meet Beth. She was dropping the kids off and a local "Parents Night Out" at 6:00pm. The accident happened about 5:30pm and Dad called her to let her know. The kids were in the car and she did not want them to know it was me that had been in an accident. So they went ahead to the Parents Night Out and had a fun evening with their friends. This was great because it meant not having to keep track of them at the ER. Beth and I were planning to meet another couple for dinner at Outback in Conroe at 7:00pm. Needless to say, that did not happen. Unfortunately, I had skipped lunch in anticipation of a nice dinner salad, juicy steak, baked potato and a nice tall mug of Fosters. Of course, after an accident, they won't let you have ANYTHING to eat or drink, not even water. I had cotton mouth something fierce!! Other than a grumbly tumbly, it was not too bad, until they gave me the pain meds... I tried to eat a little when I got home, a few pieces of toast was all I could manage. Anyway, Beth had to pick up the kids at 10:00pm. One the way home, she told them what had happened and that I was okay. However... they would have to be VERY careful around Daddy. No climbing or jumping on him. Convinced that I really was fine, they were quite bummed about the fact that they would not be able to wrestle with me for some time...! :lol2: I did get in some good hugs and assure them that Daddy is fine thanks to wearing good gear. We have been drilling the gear thing into their heads constantly since they could talk and they have always seen me wearing full gear. I think that really helped a lot in helping them to believe Beth and I when we assured them I am fine.

Yeah, that whole be-careful-around-daddy thing will last about two days. Like Kurt said, stock up on the Aleve. :lol2:

I think it is KLR foot pegs , I fell over on my KLR years ago and it broke my ankle , the small bone and dislocated it . I did have to have it cut on and plated . It was painfull for a week or so then I was back working a short week and riding again in a little over a month . No racing , just light duty riding . I would duct tape the toes on the cast to keep the dirt out . After the cast was off my ankle was still swelled up too much for my riding boots so I found a pair of heavy lace up boots and wore them as tight as I could stand for a few months more . A couple years ago I was ready to leave for the Mexico trip when my mom passed away , I think you got the better deal . SEYA

Sorry to hear of the crash Scott. I hope it can heal without drafting you into team titanium.

Wow, Scott. That's terrible. I'll be praying.

You and Beth did a wise thing with the kids. But they will still want to climb only in a day or so.

I don't hate deer. I love them, suitably cooked. But then again, I've never had the misfortune to hit one.

I understand the whole "I must not be meant to go on this trip" thing. Three times we planned to go to Mesa Verde (the cliff dwellings) after a summer mission trip. Three times we were thwarted, once by an illness, once by totalling my van, and once when we got a call telling us one son was bailing the other out of jail. Now we don't even WANT to go to Mesa Verde.

Heal quickly, brother.

Oh man! I'm SO sorry to hear of your accident Scott. I'm SO glad to hear it wasn't much worse though. (another great testiment to wearing good gear!). Heal fast!

Geewhiz, Scott... Maybe you need to sell everything and start all over with a new bike, gear, etc... I've never known anyone with such a propensity for meeting large, moving objects in the road (reflecting back to a certain very-near incident with a black dodge on Senator Hwy), something has to be jinxed :lol2:. Didn't you hit a deer once before on the GS though?

If anything, I'm thinking it might be smart for you to invest in a few sets of KLR forks, hang them up on the wall in a row, that way you can just grab a set whenever you tag a deer/quad/truck/etc.

Glad to hear they're just fractures and not splintered or crushed/shattered. Titanium is a way-cool metal, as long as it's not attached to you. I think what will hurt the most is that it'll likely keep you on the couch during the best riding season of the year :-(. I'll see if I can convince Dawn that you need to live vicariously through me, thus I need to take a couple of good trips this fall :mrgreen:

Glad you're mostly OK Scott. Hang in there.

Wow Big Daddy! Glad You'reO.K. Godspeed with the healing.

BTW,
If I read your description correctly

However, my left ankle was not so lucky. It is fractured in two places. The pointy bone on the side is broken...

Lateral malleolus

latleg.jpg

Glad that you are ok Scott,

I have always been scared of deer back home in Indiana during the fall months when it starts to cool down. Our county has 8 deer/car accidents a night.

Good thing for ATGATT

Things will heal quickly and the bike is a KLR, it will be ok with a little bit of love.

Scott, what type boots were you wearing? Street or off road? About 6 months ago I finally quit wearing work boots on the street and got some street boots, but am wondering how they would fair in just the type of accident you had. I'm guessing MX boots would have saved your ankle, but I curious as to what you think.

Wow Big Daddy! Glad You'reO.K. Godspeed with the healing.

BTW,
If I read your description correctly

Lateral malleolus

latleg.jpg

And for the bonus question, which other bone is broken?

99107-004-B9666996.jpg

Wow. Thank God and good gear that you're ok!

Unbelievable! So glad you're OK and able to relate this. Family and a little humor always helps. Hope you heal quickly and don't need surgery. GOD BLESS!

When I had my accident I took aspirin. After the 4 1/2 operation putting my elbow back together and when they were releasing me, they gave me a codeine derivative. It didn't do anything for me. I went back to aspirin. It's the only thing that works for me.

I'm sure you remember Vittorio from the "Newbie" ride to Colmesneal. After he upgraded the 919 to a 954, he hit a deer. He woke up in Memorial Hospital with a punctured lung!

Sorry to hear this but you and the family will overcome this and carry on. Again GOD BLESS!

Dang it Scott... sorry to hear of your misfortune. Glad to hear that you're otherwise ok - a big plus for riding with the gear. We're sure going to miss you in Mexico. Heal Quick! :thumb:

Scott,

I hope you are not in too much pain with the ankle. Before I talked to Beth this morn, Erik had called me & told me you went down on the bike. The first thing I thought was ...... did the back tire come off or something. The last time I saw the KLR in the garage it was torn apart.

Sorry this puts a damper on your Mexico trip. Hope the bike it okay & you heal up soon.

Scott, get well soon

deer27.gif

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad it wasn't worse! And I hear you about those painkillers, I get the same reaction, queasy and nauseated and wondering how can anyone get addicted to those.

Wow sorry to hear about your accident, but really glad you are relatively ok. Stinks you had just finished a bunch of work on the bike too... Well hopefully it will go back together without much problem.

Back