• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1st Bike Recommendation

Reaction score
My coworker is thinking about getting a bike and knows nothing about motorcycles. He lives north of spring and wants it primarily for commuting and I think he's leaning towards a dual sport but that might just be because he likes my KLR (who doesn't?!)

He said he used to ride motorcycles in India but I'm thinking he's talking about scooters. Any recommendations?

I think dirt is the best place to start. I'd steer him towards dual sports. The resale and entry prices are more reasonable and dropping one isn't as big a deal.

Plus you might gain a riding buddy if he isn't annoying to ride with.

I think his budget is $3,000 to appease his wife who said that he can get a car for $5,000. I agree about DS being the way to go and he doesn't live too far away from SHNF, though I doubt he'd ride there.

I do like the KLR but would tend to lean more towards maybe a Weestrom 650. KLR is a bit buzzy for a commuter even though I have commuted 80 miles round trip on it. The Strom may be a little more enjoyable on the hiway as well as doing some nice road trips. They will take a beating too. Just going by some pics I have seen on the interweb.

I'm not sure if that thing will get him from Gleannloch Farms (north of Spring) to downtown very well. Actually, I'm sure it would but everyone behind him in the HOV lane would be pissed!

Well you didn't say how far his commute was!!!!:giveup::lol2:

I commuted for a bit from Katy to Greenway plaza on a DR650. I wouldn't recommend it unless you were willing to avoid the freeway.
In the HOV lane, I was able to keep up a speed that was reasonable relative to the flow of traffic, but it really felt like I was wringing my poor bikes neck. The KLR may be better at this being water coolled, but I think the Wee as recommended above, or an SV650, Versys, or Ninja 650R would all be great choices for this type of commute.

However, I would caution against jumping right in there a fighting rush hour on 45 being a new rider and all. He should take his time and build up to that. Take the BRC, get a license, practice for a while in parking lots, riding with a friend leading (at a slower than usual pace) on surface streets and rural roads, and do some off-road practice if he ends up with a dual sport. When riding in that kind of traffic there really is no substitute for being able to control your bike very well when it comes to avoiding the cagers out there. Good luck and enjoy.

Commuting on a KLR at 70 mph is no problem for me, but I've never ridden a DR.

I think his $3,000 budget takes Wee's, SV's and Versys's (Versi?) out of the picture.

Commuting on a KLR at 70 mph is no problem for me, but I've never ridden a DR.

I think his $3,000 budget takes Wee's, SV's and Versys's (Versi?) out of the picture.

Yeah, 70 would be fine on the DR also. But, the I-10 HOV lane does not travel at 70. Of course, this is when there was just one lane. If you did 70 then, cars would be on your tailpipe. 80+ was the norm.

I think you could find an SV650 for that range.

Here is one that just sold, original asking price was $3,250: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42945&highlight=SV650

One that was for $2,350: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42089&highlight=SV650

older SV 650, ninja 250/500, GS500 (non F one) all could be had for that price and all would make good first bike.

On second thought:

"Your co-worker should get a $40,000 brand new Harley Fat/Ultra/bob/classic/supreme and make sure you get loud straight pipes (for safety), $5,000 worth of HD apparel, and remember to beware of helmets, they restrict your vision."

or

"Your co-worker should get a brand new GSXR-1000 and make sure you get loud D&D pipes (for attracting women and proving your manliness), $3,000 worth of sport bike street gear only to ride in a hoody or wife beater and shorts, and remember to beware of helmets, they mess up your hair and prevent the ladies from seeing your new oakleys."

:lol2: Just kidding. (Now I'm equal opportunity)

Id recommend a 1st gen sv. They can be purchased for way under 3k and are dead realable + fun to boot. A wee is a bit intimidating for some bc of the higher seat...just my opinion of course. Remind him that his first bike is definitely not his last bike please.
Posted via Mobile Device

My coworker is thinking about getting a bike and knows nothing about motorcycles. He lives north of spring and wants it primarily for commuting and I think he's leaning towards a dual sport but that might just be because he likes my KLR (who doesn't?!)

He said he used to ride motorcycles in India but I'm thinking he's talking about scooters. Any recommendations?

I am thinking that perhaps a used Burgman 400 might do the trick.

It has lots of integrated storage and can keep up with any traffic easily. When he test rides one, I think it will dispel any concern that it is just a "Vespa"....plus with commuting it sure is easy to not been constantly "clutching" during the evening traffic jams.

Burgman's pop-up for sale sometimes on TWT Classified section and also on Craigslist.

RB

There's a Burgman 650 in our garage and he's looked at it. He asked if it was safer and I told him that it would be more comfortable and he wouldn't have to shift.

The guy from India that lives around the block loves my ct90. He thinks the Twinstars are cool but he really wants an Enfield. Tell your buddy he can get an Enfield and I bet he is interested.

There's a Burgman 650 in our garage and he's looked at it. He asked if it was safer and I told him that it would be more comfortable and he wouldn't have to shift.

Most of the bike suggested so far are safe if they are maintained. Safety ultimately comes down to the driver and the decision he or she makes while underway.

Commuting in a large city can be scary if you are a newbie. Some decent experience and MSF classes might help. The 400 is a little lighter and more nimble than the 650. The 650 is actually quite heavy but it carries it's weight very well since the engine is placed low and forward on the frame.

He might want to use headlight modulators and a lime green jacket no matter what bike he decides on.

If he can handle traffic in India, he can handle it anywhere. Did you see the youtube vid in the lane=splitting thread yikes:eek2:

Not being a beginner, I'd still like an SV650. I like the 2000 model though. More rounded edges. Isn't that sexy?

Image48.jpg

HMMM It might be difficult for me to give you the answers you want but I'll try to help
NOTHING OVER 650cc!!
Why? 750's & literBikes are stupid fast and things happen or going 10 times faster than small bikes. They are intimidating and it's difficult to learn when your entire focus is on survival.
Buy gear, good gear. Your still learning things happen better to be prepared to survive! Yes you know how to ride but do you know how to survive?Everyone out there is out to run over you or pull out in front of you. So if your fixated on operating your bike you have less attention for survival, SO buy something you are comfortable with.
OK let me tell you this from a Racer's prospective:
All of the Bikes out there now are good, heck they are great!
Take the average GSXR600 fact is 90% of the street Riders are not capable of using this bike to even a fraction of its ability on the track much less the street.
These new bikes have GREAT brakes fantastic suspension and a ton of power. In 1987 My Hubby's Hotrod GSXR750 (one of the fastest local Racebikes) made 97hp. Nowdays stock 600's make that!
The fact of the matter is there are no bad bikes out there they are all great and most have capabilities that will far eclipse yours for a long time so don't sweat the size(cc's) or whether or not it's an "R" model.
Let me stress this to any female rider or noob! Women generally DON'T have the upper body strength that Men do and most noobs are'nt prepared
so when a heavy Bike starts to tip we have a much harder time catching it. And on this note,, I was pretty intimidated by the size and weight of my Hayabusa at stock ride height but lowered at both ends now it feels as easy to handle as my GSXR750.
So having said that here is my best advice.

Go look at EVERYTHING!
Sit on everything
Ride what you can(Beg borrow ask other riders use your womanly guile)
Take them off the center/side stand and walk them around. Sit on them to see if your butt and back likes them.
ASK the seller (shops) if they will pay for and install lowering links if you buy the bike(many will)
Find a Rider who is experienced and knowledgeable to look at any bikes your interested in AND MAKE SURE he/she gives you input about the bike it's condition etc no opinions about what THEY THINK you need!
Now having said all of this how do you pick the "Right" Bike for you?
What looks "Good" to you?
What can you afford to buy/finance?
What can you afford to insure?
What feels comfortable, not cool, not intimidating, not too heavy just comfortable?
Good luck and remember we are all here with advice and info if you want to know about a specific make or model.

Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com

Back