• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Question about buying wrecked f650

Reaction score
Saw a 2001 f650 someone is selling. Problemis, it is/was wrecked. Has clean title. about 6k miles he says, also he thinks it could be road worthy with new forks and "few other things"

Tons of ideas are running through my head about it...everything from tank back looks fine. The tank looks fine(from pics). Looks to be mostly intact. I will call guy back tomorrow to see better idea of what mechanical condition it is in. What do yall think? What questions should I ask and what should I look at if I look at this bike? Price is pretty cheap. But depends on how much work it takes and if frame is bent or cracked.

Thanks

Attachments

• f6501.jpg
    f6501.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 96
  • f6502.jpg
    f6502.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 86
  • f6503.jpg
    f6503.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 90
  • f6504.jpg
    f6504.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 89
There is one posted here at a dealer for for $3900 in excellent condition. I just don't see the cost of repairing this one coming in under buying one in pristine condition.

There is one posted here at a dealer for for $3900 in excellent condition. I just don't see the cost of repairing this one coming in under buying one in pristine condition.

I totally agree especially since BMW is not known for cheap parts.

it would have to be pretty close to free

it would have to be pretty close to free

Ditto. I bought my DR with bent rims and broken speedo. No big deal, new rims and a Vapor computer... It is easy get excited with the challenge, but think that the time you will spend finding the parts and fixing them is time that you will not be riding it. If it takes you a year, that is not a 3 years old bike but a 4 years old bike you are buying. And that is if you have asses the damages propperly. Is the chassis straight? cracked? Does the engine runs OK? you are only ideling at best on that one.

I had a 2001 F650 and didn't like it. Now I wouldn't mind having another. Crazy and fickle I guess. I would change the forks. The BMW forks had no adjustment and were not that good. somehow I ended up with a spare set of Yamaha 465 inverted forks that are an excellent replacement for the original BMW set. Look it up on Adv Rider. If you buy this one, I would look to upgrade the suspension. I can't really tell in the pictures, but this looks like the CS model and the Yamaha forks would not be a good replacement, too off-road oriented. If it is a GS, you could make an interesting dual sport out of it.
I found parts to be very expensive for my BMW. I broke a brake lever and they are hard to find outside a dealer. As I recall the lever alone was over $50.00 at the dealer. I made do with a smoothed out "shorty" lever.

Pat McDonald

Back