• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

No more Buell. (merged)

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Well it looks like the Motor Company officially dropped Buell.:shock:

Here is the link to the Buell web site and a video from Erik.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/

Sad day in my book. I never owned one but I worked on, tuned and rode a number of them over the years. They were great bikes.

Re: No more Buell.

that realy sucks!
I've always loved Buells, heck the Uly is at the top of my "next bike" list.

Poor guy looks really torn up in the video, I hope he makes a return to the bike world

What a gut wrenching video to watch.

Considering their numbers were closing in on Ducati and Triumph, it's hard to believe that HD would pull the plug.

Man, it's just the really, really wrong time for me to try and get another bike, but I sure would like to get an XB12Ss or Uly...

Wow this is a suprise. They are doing really well in supersport this year, although they have a 600 cc advantage.

Will they have to pull out of supersport? That wouldn't hurt me at all. I've ridden them and had no love for them, though I did want to check out that new Rotax powered bike.

Did anyone know? It seems like it just came out of nowhere... Even though I'm not crazy about Buell motorcycles, I think it is a loss for the motorcycle community altogether.

Nice, last day for most Buell employees is Dec 18th. :rolleyes: Nice timing. :doh:

Darn it, I liked the Ully too. That was a long term bike, now I will have to change my thought process back to a BMW.

I can see that HD is re-focusing it efforts on its businees core, and in the current economy you can't really blame them. As unique and innovatitve that Buell is, they never captured enough of the market share to make it a core part of the family.

But saying that, it has strengthend my resolve as to not buy a HD.

Corporate America sucks as all layoffs usually occur around the holidays, so they can take the loss and not carry the burden over to the next fiscal year.

Man and I always loved looking at the Buells and really wanted one in the garage. This sucks. What is the MoCo thinking?

I always had the greatest respect for Eric Buell and the motorcycles he built. I was very close to buying one several times. They never quite broke the threshold for me though. It was sad when Harley bought the company. I figured then it was a matter of time.

Terrible shame. The least they could do is sell it to someone or give it back.

$#@(*&^

I know a lot of people were really hoping for a liquid cooled, Rotax Uly. There really was a lot of potential there.

I think HD is being short sighted. The boomers are getting older & the younger crowd isn't as die hard HD as the older one was. It would have been great to see HD split off Buell & MV Augusta as an independent brand. Buell has always been treated as the red headed stepchild of HD.

I've been considering selling my Uly & picking up a SuperMoto of some sort.... I think I'll be keeping the Uly now as it won't likely be replaceable.

Ok, well that just sucks! The little Blast was the only sport-styled bike that I fit on and I liked the look of... For a cruiser-lover, that says a lot. Naturally, I don't know anyone that actually owns one so it's not like I could test ride one... Bummer!

well crap.. I always like the look of them. I just never wanted one for my own. It would be nice to go out and get a new one and put it up for 10 yr or so..

Nice, last day for most Buell employees is Dec 18th. :rolleyes: Nice timing. :doh:

Don't worry... I'm sure somebody somewhere will get a bonus out of it, so it all balances out.

:angryfire

I always thought the worst thing about the Buells was that shakey HD motor, anyway. Personally, I hope he finds the backing to start up "The Erik Buell Motorcycle Company" and go back to where the dream started, but with a motor that allows him to reach out to a larger segment of the sport bike market..

Well this sucks. Both the Ulysses and 1125R were on the list for my potential next bike.

Wow, that bites!!

That video, man, poor guy.

Really sad to see them go. Didn't like the rules they won with in Supersport, but they were on their way to becoming a respectable sport bike company. This is truly a shame. Seems the rug was pulled just when they were at their highest point as far as the product they were producing goes.

While they aren't my style, I still hate to see an American-made motorcycle company go away.

Sad, but not unexpected. However I too have to question whether Harley sticking to its "core" is the best move. The core cruiser market is the most proven for them, and diversification can be expensive. But, they are really putting all of their eggs in one very aging, somewhat trend-focused basket. If big-twin cruisers go out of vogue as the baby boomers get past the riding age, Harley has virtually no room to reinvent itself. By holding brands that have appeal to other demographics and markets, there is room to shift production and branding as market demand changes. That's a tough one. Spread yourself a little thinner but wider, or go deeper but narrower. Hard to argue with the bread and butter American Iron segment, but heaven forbid if more middle of the road cruisers follow the trend of the farther end of that spectrum chopper market.

Back