• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lookie What Someone Got Today

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Last Name
Eubank
We had a motorcycle container come across the dock today out of the great NorthEast. I'm always interested in what these containers have when the consignee comes to pick them up. I read the description on this one and was really interested.

1960 Ducati 175 Silver Sport.

The guy who bought it exclusively restores old, vintage Ducati's and said he'd been looking for this one for 10 years. It's rough, needs a lot of work but he was proud of it and gave me a LENGTHY dissertation on the history of the Ducs. It was very interesting. :sun:

I wanted to take a ton more pictures but as luck would have it, we were swamped about the time he showed up to recover it. :(

And you'll notice my company vehicle in the background (the orange one). :doh:

:drool:

I am assuming that this was the condition prior to shipping and not after taking a tumble from your company truck, right?

:duck:

:drool:

I am assuming that this was the condition prior to shipping and not after taking a tumble from your company truck, right?

:duck:

:lol2::rofl:

When I called him to notify him it was in, I told him I wanted to take pics. He said "now, you need to understand I bought this to restore". It was still upright and purty in the container. He told me what he paid for it and said that parts are so scarce, he could part it out and get a full return on his investment plus about 20%. The gas cap is the original "bake lite" gas cap and could go for as much as $100 by itself. And the tank is some "jelly tank" that's unique. He said they were rare and hard to find. The bike looks like it was originally red/white and had been painted over.

The lettering on the tank looked hand-painted to me but he said it was a decal. I could have spent hours just looking the bike over but when my boss came out, I knew my party was over.

OK, I read your posts twice and didn't see it ... Mind telling us how much, or did he swear you to secrecy?

That is one sweet machine.

OK, I read your posts twice and didn't see it ... Mind telling us how much, or did he swear you to secrecy?

That is one sweet machine.

He never came out and said what he paid for it. I can tell you how much shipping was but that wouldn't satisfy your curiosity, would it? :trust:

It has issues that he seemed none concerned about. The exhaust isn't factory but he has a megaphone factory exhaust in the garage. The tail light mount isn't factory ("no biggie"), headlight's cracked, etc. The one thing I was most concerned about (like it was my business) was where the exhaust went into the head. It looked like a plumbing fixture with goop around it. He wasn't worried about it and said once he tears it down it'll probably be just tape and the threads should be fine.

He had so much info on the ducs I couldn't keep up with him. He was talking about the direct drive on the valves, how much horsepower it had (I think he said 14 horses LoL), etc. A walking vintage Duc dictionary.

He said the old Ducs were bought, raced and pretty much thrown away. He has a vintage Duc Mach 1 (nope, I have no clue what year or anything else about that one) that he was probably going to scarf parts from for this one.

*sigh* It must be nice. :giveup:

Ya'll be careful messing around here with these older bikes. "The vintage bug" may bite you and its a hum-dinger. I was told this week, by a vintage collector guy from College Station, that there is a man outside of Sealy that has over a hundred vintage bikes in his, what should I call it, his" shop-barn." I saw numerous pictures fo the goodies he had in his collection. Half of them I had never heard of. Anyone else heard of this gentelmen? I hope to see ya'll at the harvest classic next weekend.

Ya'll be careful messing around here with these older bikes. "The vintage bug" may bite you and its a hum-dinger. I was told this week, by a vintage collector guy from College Station, that there is a man outside of Sealy that has over a hundred vintage bikes in his, what should I call it, his" shop-barn." I saw numerous pictures fo the goodies he had in his collection. Half of them I had never heard of. Anyone else heard of this gentelmen? I hope to see ya'll at the harvest classic next weekend.

I used to have his card... A lot of us met him during a pie run to Sealy, was it last year? Maybe the year before.

A couple actually and went and toured his "musem", I will try and find the thread and post the link..

EDIT: Heres the thread. Heres a post.

Last edited:
The fellow that picked up the Duc wasn't Allan Johncock by any chance was it?

When I called him to notify him it was in, I told him I wanted to take pics. He said "now, you need to understand I bought this to restore". It was still upright and purty in the container. He told me what he paid for it and said that parts are so scarce, he could part it out and get a full return on his investment plus about 20%.

Classic beauty...this reminds me of a former attorney in Austin who sends search scouts to Europe to find vintage Vespa scooters. He then buys them in bulk quantities and brings them back to central Texas for restoration and eventual sale.

He claims to make a pretty tidy sum on his investment.

RB

Would the man who picked up the bike happen to one Mr. Rust?

:lol2:

Noppers. His name wasn't Rust or Oleum.

I'll try to find his contact information today and see if I can get in touch with him. I know he's on several (from what he said) different bike restoration forums. I'll see if I can get him to join/post here or get information he's comfortable with me giving out in a public forum.

My first real motorcycle was a 1963 Ducati Monza 250. It was exactly like this one:
1963DucatiMonza.jpg

I had it all stripped down and used it for a dirt bike/hill climber most of the time, but occasionally rode it on the street. That was back in 1965 when single purpose dirt bikes barely existed.

Wayne

I saw on another forum that the bike was on Ebay and was for sale for 8,500.00.

Could be the same one :shrug:

This one came from up in the northeast.....either Newark area or JFK. I don't remember right off hand.

The other forum (ducati.ms) said it was from the northeast, but the bike had been raced in South America.

The other forum (ducati.ms) said it was from the northeast, but the bike had been raced in South America.

I didn't get a chance to talk to the consignee Friday. I took off a little early but I'll see if I can contact him this week some time. :zen:

Back