• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Local dealer or lowest price

R1150R

Reaction score
Probably shouldn't be but I'm struggling somewhat.

Looking to purchase a new Goldwing. Talking with the local dealers, they can't compare with the deals like some of the out of state dealers do.

I want to support our local dealers but I'm not talking a few hundred bucks here.

Might getting service prove difficult?

Sounds like you have your answer. I'll support the local guy as long as he is in the ballpark. My local Honda dealer matched the best internet price I could find within 500 miles. OTD was about $4000 less than another notorious local Honda dealer.

It's your money, spend it how you want. If it was me I would go with the best deal. If the local guy gives you grief about service, and iit's warranty work, call the HONDA mothership and complain. Don't let the local guy bully you into spending more money with him because he threatens to not service your bike.

Go for lowest price...if the local guy wants to match it, fine.

Service should have nothing to do with it. Service margins are much higher, so they should want your business regardless of where you bought it. Warranty work is paid by the manufacturer, so who cares where you bought the thing?

I’m a bad example, cuz I do all my own work.. So no bike I’ve owned, new or used, street, dirt or track has seen a shop except for a state inspection or dyno run. For me, parts and bikes the local shops always get a call or walk in visit first. If they are close, considering my time, gas, and hassle of leaving town… then local gets it. But when I can save many hundreds to more the a thousand on a new bike by taking a drive with my wife or son. Visit friends in any state while there or passing through and get a great deal on a bike. Local gets a pass. I’ve driven to Denver twice now to purchase from OTD Cycles. Deals are the best I’ve seen, I love the setup.. And a I have a good friend that works in the service / speed shop.. So it’s a deal all around.

Forgive my ignorance. I know nothing about this type of bike.
This is actual out the door price.. everything , tax, registration, all fees..
Price: $19,499
2008 Goldwing Premium Audio (GL18PM)

Is that a good price?
2010 Goldwing Premium Audio/Comfort/Navi/XM/ABS (GL18HPNAM)
Price: $26,599

they have more,, this is just what I looked up..

I've heard of people buying the 2008 Premium Audio models for $16,000 or so. But I've already got my Wing, so I'm not up to date on pricing. A Wing is one bike where you can save a lot of money by buying a gently used one with some nice useful farkles (fog lights, backrest, bellypan, etc.) thrown in.

I would see if you can find some other people in your area who have purchased bikes from said dealer and see what thier experience have been.Some dealers it doesn't matter ,they will tell you if you buy there they will take care of you,doesnt make it true.Having purchased 2 bikes from the dealer down the road (1 new and 1 used) they dont really care once they got your mulla.Fortunately for me I do all my own wrenching and dont need no stinking dealers.

You have to factor in cost of drive/hotel/registration stuff in your savings.

Having said that, When I walked in to local dealer preapproved and told 'em the deal, they grumbled a bit and matched it clse enough to offset cost of driving to Ar. Pop however, gets unbelieveable deals out of Ar. Keep us informed. I may need some info. come spring.

The out of state dealer had an 2008 airbag model with 1000 mile that they had to take back and offered a good deal. Seems the 08's (new even) are so much less than the 2010's...due to the falling dollar I guess.

At any rate, plan to pick it up next weekend.

Might consider what many won't tell you...

It's your money so buy where you get the VALUE you deem important to you. That's all that matters.

Consider this: if you take you bike in for local service and you did not buy it there, who do you think will get priority service - the one who bought it from them or one who did not?

Most dealers give "Preferred Customer" treatment to their bike customers. Priority Service placement and parts discounts are not unusual. I can understand their reasoning and it is good business on their part. "You support me - I support you."

Many dealers utilize this technique - placing Preferred Customer in priority order for service. "Move to the head of the line" so to speak. Others with less priority get pushed back in-line. It's a fact and you can call the manufacturer all you want. They are not refusing to service you and not even giving you grief. Just happily putting you "in-line" for service. A "local supporter" comes in with an emergency (or appointment) and you will likely move back a spot.

I bought my last from a dealer who gives me priority and it was well worth the several hundreds over distance discounts. My bike goes in, they are expecting me, my wait is short and I am on my way. Really - it's great! That's worth something to me. While I do my own service, there are times when I use them for different reasons.

Don't think any of us would do any different if it was our business. Dealers dumping bikes outside their area don't expect to see them again, so NO losing $$ on warranty work. Yes they get paid, but not much compared to regular service work and money is not as timely and takes more work to collect.

I think most dealers if approached correcty will do everything in their power to get your business if you are working with them. The exception might be on bikes there may be a shortage on?

Now go buy your bike and enjoy it!!

If the local dealer is the same one as my local honda dealer I would go else where even if the price was higher. If I ever need service on my bike (non-honda) I will drive three hours to get it. Heck I've even been known to go to the Kawasaki/Victory dealer to have them order parts for my bike to stay away from the local dealer that also handles honda bikes.

As far as warranty work goes on a honda, there are too many dealers fairly close by to worry about the "local" store. When I worked in a dealers repair shop (boat dealer) we were paid more to work on out of area warranty repairs than we were locals. So you want to guess which one got worked first? If the customer's boat was purchsed more than 50 miles from our location it was deemed out of area warranty work and we were paid a service premium from the manufactor. This was not just the boat industry that did this, most vehicle manufactors at the time did it.

But who is worried about service/warranty work on a honda? I keep hearing how bullet proof they are so why is there even a service department? Seems all they would need is a make ready crew.

My experience is the local dealers haven't done enough to get my business. I bought an 08 wing last year. No one in the DFW area would come close to the quote I got from Shawnee Motorsport in Shawnee OK. Saw the bike online and called them up. Made the deal with no issues and no hidden costs. I must say they are some really great folks and would get my continual support if they weren't so far away. But I saved around $700 buying from them and they treated me as if I had been their best customer for years. My vote, save the money and buy where you find the best price. Just think of the nice ride you get the first day you buy the bike. For me, by the time we got back to Texas we had over 300 miles on her. Best way to break a bike in is a nice long ride.

I personally would prefer to buy a late model bike; a couple years old and let someone else eat the depreciation. The Goldwing hasn't change all that much over the past 10 years or so so any late model GW is as good as another. Check out the classifieds at:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/index.php

There are always dozens of late model GL1800s for sale and with the economy as it is, many are being sold due to necessity and you can pick up a great deal.

I consider the local shops in my decision, in that sometimes I need a quick fix. I do all my own work but on my wife's Italian scoot I can't get parts or service in this area. It's becoming a pain in the.

When I bought my Concours 14 I told the local shop that I wanted to buy it locally and eventually we worked out a compromise in price to keep me from driving to NM. And when I go back for tires or tags now I get treated a little better as they remember me. They did treat me pretty well before and I rode a bike the didn't even sell (Yamaha at a Kawi shop - they did my tires)

I would consider how much money vs how much it's worth to you. I spent $800 more to buy local and they gave me a jacket and Hi-Vis vest to sweeten the deal.

Appreciate all the replys. Couldn't make it work here at 2000 was too much of a difference.

As mentioned already, made a deal on a slightly used 2008 airbag model with less than 1100 miles.

Sometimes you have to travel to get what you want. I drove 400 miles to get a used Warrior. I was an idiot and rode it back 400 miles in 30 degree weather. Man, that was dumb. But I got a great price! :lol2: So do what you got to do.

Back