• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kind of a legal question: Buying project bikes and ATVs

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
I wouldn't mind having a little ATV to tool around on, or whatever, but I'm not gonna shell out a bunch of money for one [not that its in the buget anyway]. So I've been combing craigs list and stuff for a broke down ATV that maybe needs a rebuild for dirt cheap. Something that'll be a project that I can try my hand at a motor rebuild with minimal investment.

Often times when you're dealing with older dirt bikes and ATVs, there's no title, if they're old enough the owner didn't even get one. So no title is common with barn finds.

Here's my question:
Lets say I buy a broke down project ATV, and it turns out to have been stolen or sold off by someone who had done work on it and it was "abandoned". How liable am I? What recourse would I have to get my money back?

Not that I've bought one, or even have found one, but I was just curious.

you can sue the guy you bought it from in small claims court. Thats it and good luck inforcing a judgment.

When I buy things that have no title or from an individual(tools, guns, etc.) this is what I do:
Agree on the amount, then request a signed piece of paper with a drivers liscence (from the seller)in exchange for a signed copy of yours to them as the purchaser. Document the date, price, terms, serial number on each....basically anything that is important.

I have had to pass on some things.
Honest people have nothing to hide.

Your big risk is a charge of possession of stolen property. I think it's a b misdemeanor. You may just lose it outright. Clark Howard covered this about two weeks ago. Just have all the paperwork showing you bought in good faith and if it doesn't pass the smell test walk away.

If it's stolen and you speak to the cops I've found that being open and honest means no problem. Sure you will lose it, but that is one of the risks for a $100 (or whatever amount) bike. You just need to make sure the price reflects the risk.

Can't you just call up the DMV with the #'s and see if it's been registered or when the last time it was?

no you have to go in and pay for the history

Also no DMV in Texas. It's the courthouse for recent registration and TxDot regional office when it's older and off the system at the tax office

Well, if it's half your age or more then I'd say your fine. I was given a '71 CL79 and the tag on the license says '71. LOL Also the yammy YG1 hasnt been registered for longer than that I think.

I doubt someone is going to get up one day and say, "Hey. I think I'll work on those two mopeds I have outside that have been rotting in the weather for the past so many years. Ummmm Honey, were's my mopeds?"

Couldn't you call in to the police with the VIN to see if it was ever reported stolen?

you can call in a suspicious vehicle and while they wont tell you it's stolen (they just ask for the location) they might tell you it's clear. If you call and tell them it's just to check something you are buying they will most likely refuse to check depending on the department. Also many ohv vehicles are not identified by vin when they are stolen since so many are untitled/unregistered.

tanks for the input.
We were at my in-law's house this weekend. so I also asked my father-in-law, who's a layer (well a tax layer, not anything fun), and he siad if you don't know and can prove it, you're fine, you just loose it.
I asked if there was any recourse agains the seller and he said sure, but goo luck getting money from them if they're in jail

Back