• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Calling all FJR riders

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Martinez
Assuming our friends at the Department of Veteran Affairs decide to pay me sometime this century, I'm going to start the farkle process on my '06 FJR1300A.

I'm sure there are folks here that have added some of what I'm after to their bike, so give me some input as to what I ought to look for.

• Audio system that will integrate an iPod, and on-bike/bike-to-bike communications (via FRS or CB)
  • A top case large enough for a riding suit and helmet (or that at least has some provision for a helmet lock)
  • Cruise/Throttle Lock options
  • Maybe even heated grips

I'm also looking for a riding suit that'll cover my bases for my normal range (basically Houston + a 300mi radius) year-round. My Dad has a Tourmaster suit that he likes pretty well, and I'm thinking I may go that route - but I'm open to other suggestions. It needs to keep one fairly dry when the sky decides to open up. The need to pull over and quickly add a layer is not a deal breaker as I do that with my rain suit anyway. I'd like the ability to flow lots of air when the mercury rises (as it tends to do here), or to cut that flow off when it gets chilly.

Add helmet suggestions to the list. I need a new one, as mine is fairly old, and not particularly comfortable anymore. One that is quiet enough that speakers are actually useful inside would be great.

With that said, I'm going to get ready to saddle up for a nice lunch-time ride in this most excellent weather.

:rider:

Autocom, Givi Vist-Cruise, and OEM for the heated grips. OEM is expensive, but worth it from a plug and play perspective.

VistaCruise.jpg

I purchased a 07 FJR on my trip to Colorado last month. Went in to buy a clear helmet visor and discovered it in the used bikes. It was not new so I got to test ride it, it stole me away from the Bandit I had for 6 years. A fantastic riding and handling bike.

I understand the top box is ~$600 from Yamaha. I also want the Yamaha heated grips. Consider putting a GPS on the bike. Keep this thread going I also am considering a farkle or two.

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60x already, I just need a new RAM mount ball for the FJR (I left the old one on the old SV, oops). It looks like Givi is a much less expensive option for a topcase, I'm not sure which case to go with.

With the Autocom unit is there any way to actually control an iPod from the handlebars?

I've looked at that as well. Don't they make the Goldwing system?

I've put about 3k miles on the FJR since I picked it up end of July. This bike is definitely awesome. It's probably as close as I'll ever get to a warp drive. :rider:

I've spent may 10min on an FJR (Thanks Janet) so I can't speak specifically about that bike, but I have a little experience with some of the other stuff you're asking about.

Heated grips: I put Symtec on my ST1300 and VFR. simple install (if you can follow instructions and aren't scared of electricity) and work very well. costs something like $34. I got mine from CA Sport Touring

iPod control: I'm not aware of any motorcycle comm system that has integrated iPod control. What I use is a Starcom1 with an ABT iJet to control the iPod.
The iJet remote is water resistant and fairly reasonable for working with gloves on. Also offers a pass-through for charging and other dock-mounted accessories.

Comm system: I've had my Starcom for nearing 4yrs now and have had great service from it.
  • full stereo sound (the reason I didn't get the Autocom was lack of stereo, this may have changed, haven't checked) to both helmets.
  • full duplex com between the helmets.
  • PTT or VOX for bike-to-bike
  • bike-to-bike is via any radio you can connect to their (purchased separately) radio cables. They have quite a list of cables so you can connect to most any FRS or CB radio. Believe they offer bike-powered cables for Kenwood radios as well.

Throttle lock: I have a VistaCruise for the VFR. I don't use it very often and don't leave it on the bike as i could never get it to release properly when not "locked"
Its cheap and works fine for the price.
Had a throttle rocker on the ST1300, didn't like that at all.
A proper cruise control would be the route I'd go, but those aren't cheap. :giveup:

Givi case suggestion from me too. I used a top case rack from premier cycle accessories as it can be used as a rack when the box is not mounted. I splurged for the new 55 liter maxia. I like the curvy lines of it, and the fact that I can pack nearly all of my camping gear in it at once.

I'm looking at your list and you have left so many fun things off of it that you don't really need but will need to have. :popcorn:

www.fjrforum.com

those guys will be more than glad to help you spend your farkle cash...

Yeah, but they are mighty hard on new folks. I venture to say 50% of newcomers leave in disgust within their first few posts. There is some good information, just be sure you search for it first. They even have a special day of the week to "dogpile" someone. ;-)

Take a look at the Techmount product. I bought one for my '08 FJR to mount a Garmin Zumo 550. It's a top-quality product. Since my FJR got wrecked when new, the mount is still sitting in a box somewhere in my shop.

http://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=7

As for helmets, I don't think there is a quiet one. Much of the noise level depends on how the air flows around your head after being partially deflected by the fairing. While it would be possible to isolate the ears effectively inside the helmet, the manufacturers don't seem to consider it a priority. I use earplugs and a Starcom intercom, but I'm going wireless as soon as J&M produces a bluetooth intercom.

Yeah, but they are mighty hard on new folks. I venture to say 50% of newcomers leave in disgust within their first few posts. There is some good information, just be sure you search for it first. They even have a special day of the week to "dogpile" someone. ;-)

Agree.... for some reason some of the FJR Forum members do not like questions they think can be answered by searching the site. But overall I have found very good information there.

Last edited:
This is the main thing I've done to this bike. It took several hours to remove / reinstall the plastics... to make the electrical connections, etc.

Stiebel Nautilus:
Horn2.jpg

The bike also had this Techmount (?)
GPSBase.jpg

Take a look at the Techmount product. I bought one for my '08 FJR to mount a Garmin Zumo 550. It's a top-quality product. Since my FJR got wrecked when new, the mount is still sitting in a box somewhere in my shop.

http://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=7

As for helmets, I don't think there is a quiet one. Much of the noise level depends on how the air flows around your head after being partially deflected by the fairing. While it would be possible to isolate the ears effectively inside the helmet, the manufacturers don't seem to consider it a priority. I use earplugs and a Starcom intercom, but I'm going wireless as soon as J&M produces a bluetooth intercom.

Apparently Autocom has a wireless intercom system now. That looks kind of cool (and portable to other bikes).

I've taken a gander there, but the forum is so full of useless information I figured I'd just ask my local (and generally helpful) folk.

funny, this site is far worse than there as far as useless posts.

At least on the fjrforum you have guys who have actually worked on their bikes.

Some of them have rebuilt/replace the engines and torn into the transmission to fix a problem.

They can be hard on new folks if they haven't done a search first.

Get a vista...simple, cheap, and very effective.

I have an audiovox cruise control and it is well worth it. It cost me 30 bucks (bought from forum member, i think they go for 100 with mount) and took a full day to install. When you are burning miles or eating interstate, it is the bees knees. I can help you if you have questions as well.

If you want a motorcycle specific cruise, you can get a MC Cruise, but it is 600 + installation.

Check out twistedthrottle.com. I ordered this rack:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2745/114/

One of the best farkles I have. They make an add on so you can fit a GIVI v46 to it. My choice would be GIVI over OEM, as it is much cheaper and can be colormatched.

I wired a centech fuse block and ran intercom for a while, but got rid of it because I never used it. Autocom and starcomm are very similar...you cannot go wrong with other.

In terms of gear, I use British Motorcycle Gear (formerly Belstaff). I have a challenger jacket (my second one) and pioneer pants. Both are really waterproof (no need for liner) and have been put to the test, enduring snow, torrential downpours, etc. Bulletproof construction, tons of pockets and storage.

A few helpful sites for maintenance and farkling installs:

http://www.fjrtech.com/

http://www.fjr1300.info/

Regards,

Davy

Get a vista...simple, cheap, and very effective.

I have an audiovox cruise control and it is well worth it. It cost me 30 bucks (bought from forum member, i think they go for 100 with mount) and took a full day to install. When you are burning miles or eating interstate, it is the bees knees. I can help you if you have questions as well.

If you want a motorcycle specific cruise, you can get a MC Cruise, but it is 600 + installation.

Check out twistedthrottle.com. I ordered this rack:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2745/114/

One of the best farkles I have. They make an add on so you can fit a GIVI v46 to it. My choice would be GIVI over OEM, as it is much cheaper and can be colormatched.

I wired a centech fuse block and ran intercom for a while, but got rid of it because I never used it. Autocom and starcomm are very similar...you cannot go wrong with other.

In terms of gear, I use British Motorcycle Gear (formerly Belstaff). I have a challenger jacket (my second one) and pioneer pants. Both are really waterproof (no need for liner) and have been put to the test, enduring snow, torrential downpours, etc. Bulletproof construction, tons of pockets and storage.

A few helpful sites for maintenance and farkling installs:

http://www.fjrtech.com/

http://www.fjr1300.info/

Regards,

Davy

I have the SW-Motech mount and v46 combination on my '06 FJR. It's an easy 10 minute install and can be returned to stock configuration just as easily. Well made, and it doesn't look too bad when the topcase is dismounted. On the downside, it is the most expensive mounting option out there. You need to purchase the SW-Motech rack for $139, and then the Givi adapter for another chunk of change.

Givi makes a mount for the FJR as well. It's apparently solid and well made, but a bit dorky looking. It replaces the grab rail behind the passenger seat. There are some other options out there as well.

I have the color matched v46 on my bike. Not sure it's worth the extra expense for the color matched lid. It's only a small part of the case - most of it remains black - and the matte black didn't look halfway bad with the dark blue paint. The lid is a separate order; I'd suggest buying just the case in black; you can order the color matched lid later if you just have to have it. FWIW I order the case from RL motorcycle; they had the best price and customer service was very good.

I have a set of Kimpex grip heaters installed underneath the stock grips. Similar setup to the Symtec, they use the printed circuit style heaters that wrap around and stick to the bars. Less than $30 for the whole kit. The Kimpex is OK for Texas, but I suspect you'd want more watts for a place that gets truely cold. That said, they are a great little investment.

There's good discussions and photos of the topcase and mounting options at the fjrforum. I agree with the mixed feelings regarding the site, but it is useful. I suggest useing Google to search it, e.g. "topcase mount site:fjrforum.com" The local search function on the site never seems to work for me.

For Zumo mounting I use the motorcycle larry triple tree stem nut with a Ram ball mount. This setup does a great job of positioning the Garmin between the bars with a bit of adjustability for position and angle. It's much less expensive than the techmount setup. The only reason I see to use a techmount is to get the Zumo above a very tall tankbag, if you use such a thing. Again pictures and such are all at the fjrforum.

Happy farkling,

- JimY

The good news about the Givi mount is, that while dorky looking, it swaps out with the the stock unit in about two minutes using four easily accessible bolts underneath the rear seat.

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60x already, I just need a new RAM mount ball for the FJR (I left the old one on the old SV, oops). It looks like Givi is a much less expensive option for a topcase, I'm not sure which case to go with.

With the Autocom unit is there any way to actually control an iPod from the handlebars?

Did the bike have the techmount stem mount on it when you bought the bike? The one pictured in CDC's post? I installed one on your bike when I had it and believe I sold it as is. (I am the original owner of your FJR) If you don't have it I would recommend it and I thought it worked pretty darn well.

Just for shiggles and gits here are some pics of your bike when it was uncrated. Kind of cool knowing that your previous bike is in good hands.

Photo_041306_008.jpg

Photo_041306_005.jpg

Photo_041306_006.jpg

Photo_041306_002.jpg

Photo_041306_007.jpg

Photo_041306_004.jpg

Did the bike have the techmount stem mount on it when you bought the bike? The one pictured in CDC's post? I installed one on your bike when I had it and believe I sold it as is. (I am the original owner of your FJR) If you don't have it I would recommend it and I thought it worked pretty darn well.

Just for shiggles and gits here are some pics of your bike when it was uncrated. Kind of cool knowing that your previous bike is in good hands.

Photo_041306_008.jpg

Photo_041306_005.jpg

Photo_041306_006.jpg

Photo_041306_002.jpg

Photo_041306_007.jpg

Photo_041306_004.jpg

No mount, but that's not a huge problem I'll get that handled at some point. She's in good hands, though very dirty right now (since it keeps raining, and UH is a giant construction site). :rider:

Thanks for the input folks. We'll see how farkle buying goes. I'm divesting myself of my photography equipment, and DFAS ought to be cutting me a rather large backpay check for the time I spent stoplossed in OIF5. That should combine to get me out of debt completely and then some. Heck, if I'm lucky, the VA will actually pay start paying my GI Bill money sometime before I die of old age. Some of that will buy farkles for the FJR.

So my Twisted Throttle shopping cart has the SW-MOTECH rack, Givi Monokey adapter plate, and Givi V46 case in it right now.

To click "checkout" or not to click "checkout"

That is the question.

.... I understand the top box is ~$600 from Yamaha. I also want the Yamaha heated grips. Keep this thread going I also am considering a farkle or two.

You should look at SHAD boxes. They are nicer than Givi and cheaper. They make some of BMW's and KTM's boxes. So, NOT buying a Yamaha box might save you $$$ and still get great quality. However, you would have to install baseplate (comes with SHAD - not extra) to mount aftermarket case.

There are several very reasonable aftermarket heated grips and heated grip kits. Some are grips and all - some are kits that go under your existing grips. Both work very well for a fraction of the cost of factory accessories.

Back