• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston-DFW commute

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Flannery
Howdy,
I go from DFW to Houston 1-2 times per month and have built up a rather healthy hatred for I45. Sometimes I'll ride west to New Braunfels and buzz through the Hill Country, and have also used 59 to 287. I will also ride down 35 (a complete pain) to Hwy 6, which is pleasant. Does anybody here have any favorite routes?
Jack

What part of Dallas are you coming from?
This weekend on the way to the in-laws, I wanted to avoid I-35 (Red River SHootout traffic is terrible)
My normal route is up Hwy 6 to Waco (and I take loop 340??? around) and then up I-35, then I-35W

This weekend I took Hwy 6 to Waco as normal, but then too 933 up through Whitney 10 174 From Rio Vista To Cleburn and then 67 to I-35W. 67 goes all the way into Cedar Hill and then Dallas and isn't too bad.

933 was a nice drive

I used to have to make that drive very regularly too. One alternative I liked was Hwy 36 up to 77 to I-35.
I really like 36, 77 is pretty open and easy and, by and large, the worst part of 35 is south of Waco(IMO), so you get to miss that.
There are some other choices like 6 straight to Waco, but I tihnk 36 is more enjoyable.

Another not bad choice is 6 to 14 to I-45.
Heck, if you are doing it every couple of weeks, you can try them all.
Just aobut every route I tried added about an hour to the trip, but, I'm like you and hate I-45 enough to make me invest the extra hour.

You can also do 6 to 79 into Buffalo. I caged that last night, normally I do 6 to 14 but I wanted some Sam's BBQ in Fairfield.

ive taken 75 between buffalo and huntsville in my truck, i dont know what its like further north but i have enjoyed the stretch u went on

I like 90 from Madisonville to 6 in Navasota.

I just go 35 South towards S.A. Then I exit to get towards Lockhart. I eat some darn fine Q and then head East towards Houston. Yeah, it's a long way, but the Q is worth it.

When I used to go to the Woodlands several times a year, I'd go I-35W to Hillsboro, then down through Mexia and pick up I-45 between Fairfield and Buffalo. It's still a lot of I-45, but it was faster and better for me. of course, I live pretty close to I-35W.

Back