• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ID Help! Guess this Cycle?

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Jensen
I am wondering if anyone can help me ID the motorcycle in this photo. My mother found this in her attic and passed it on to me. It is a picture of my father in 1964 on what appears to be a twin, maybe a scrambler? I thought the seat style, rear fender or something else might give somebody an idea.

As you can see by the photo the portion showing the most easily identifiable portions is badly damaged. I would ask him but he has not been around since I was about 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the resolution, the scan was reduced to fit into the post.

Thanks, Glenn

Attachments

• img012.jpg
    img012.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 247
Kinda looks like a Honda GB 500, but the seat is wrong.

Also looks like my old Honda CB160 Scrambler. Looks like an aftermarket pipe, or at least a repacement muffler of some brand.

Do you know? Is this a test?

Or do you really want to know?

I curious now...

My first guess was a Honda CL-450 Scrambler...

honda-cl450_medium00000196_c793.jpg

But, they were introduced in 67, so too late for the picture.

second guess would be a Triumph....

girl%20on%20vintage%20bike.jpg

Not likely a Honda. I had a scrambler. It looks like a Triumph T100c/TR6. But the front and rear fenders don't look right.

BSA had a model with high pipes and chrome on the side of the tank, with the chrome fender?

I don't see chrome on the tank in that photo, but photo not very clear and my eyes are bad. BSA did have a scrambler model but can't remember how high the pipes came up.

It looks like a M on the tank in the larger picture. I would guess it's a Matcheless.

Scott

can we get a bigger pic/higher res?
we need one of those CSI magic photo programs that can turn 3 pixels into 12 Megapixels.
img012-2.jpg

Cool pix, but not related

Last edited:
Matchless_1961-01_G5.jpg

Front fender certainly looks like this Matchless 350, but the back fender is wrong. Trying to find a later model Matchless 500...

sure is a small headlight. wonder if it was a custom job--early version of a streetfighter.

The car is a 1963 Pontiac with a 55 or 56 ford in the background. The bike, just guessing. The tail light looks like the ones used by BSA and AMC on some models in the 60s. AMC made Nortons, Matchless and AJS at that time. The high pipes look like the ones used on Triumph TR6Cs. I actually have a pair in my shop. The primary case looks more like a BSA than anything else I can think of. The seat I don't recognize with that turned up back. Of course, a lot of parts are interchangeable during this period. BSA owned Triumph for years and by the 60s they were starting to use some of the same parts, just like GM. Matchless and AJS were the same bike with different badges. The tank in the photo is just too rough to identify. The headlight looks like an aftermarket piece or something from a smaller bike to get that lightweight look. The fenders look like typical English chrome ones that were fitted to everything from 250cc and up.

I give up. Its probably a Tohatsu or maybe a Ural DuoGlide.

Pat McDonald

The 'bump' on the tranny case should put it in some general manufacturer categories, right?

I am no guru on old bikes but that bump in the pipe before the muffler (maybe a heat shield?), the small headlamp, and the small tail lamp make it unique.

It definitely looks like a twin with the way the head pipe come out at an angle.

The seat might be recovered, it is smooth with white piping, most I have seen have some sort of pattern on the top.

The car is Pontiac Star Chief, the white walls and convertible make it a pimp mobile.

Back