• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Foggy Visor - Does Anything Really Work?

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
After considerable riding on these cool humid mornings, I'm fed up with fogged visors on my full-face Shoei X-Eleven helmet. Here's what I've tried:

Rain-X Anti Fog - slightly effective
Fogtech wipes - slightly effective, but leaves a nasty distorting film on the visor
Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish- ineffective, but wonderfully clean
Armor All - the most effective of the lot, but nowhere near adequate for safe vision

I rode about 100 miles Sunday morning with the visor cracked just so I could see. With outside temperatures running about 50F, it was pretty miserable until it warmed up.

Has anyone found anything that really prevents fog on visors?

That X11 must not flow much air around the face. I have ridden down to 25 degrees and the only time I suffer fogging has been at lights. I pop the lid while stopped and crank it back into place once I'm rolling. I've spent the last year + a few months commuting almost solely on the bike with rather inexpensive SBC and Scorpion helmets. I must be missing out on the chance to have a quiet helmet if you experience fogging while rolling with the X11.

Sadly... my 2 wheeled commuting has come to and end. I was economized by the economy on Friday. The Bandit isn't much fun to commute on going from the bedroom to the kitchen. And the stairs going to the study are a real ****! :lol2:

I'm in an X11 as well, but it isn't the only helmet I have had fogging troubles with. Pretty much all of them fog for me.

I have used Dawn dish soap to better effect than the means listed above.

I am interested in trying the Pinlock visor. Sounds nice.

Fog City was good for a while, but didn't last and didn't like being washed.

I have also considered purchasing an HJC helmet and using one of their snowmobile visors for the cooler months. The snowmobile and motorcycle helmets are the same, just different visors.

I forget the name of the stuff, but a few years ago at the IMS show, I picked up some gook that works pretty darn well. It doesn't completely prevent it and you do have to reapply a time or two during the cold season, but for the money ($15 IIRC) it works wonders.

I'll see if I can find the name of the stuff

Edit:
Actually found the stuff sitting on my shelf
Its called Zooke
I got a "show deal" that gave me the wax and the spray for "one low price"
The wax works better, but the spray ain't bad at all and is easier to apply.

I used this stuff on my Shoei TZ-R. Haven't used it on the X-11 as I haven't ridden in the cold with it yet.
Also worked quite well on my ski goggles when I hit the slopes a few years ago.
Forgot to add that it didn't work all that great on my SCUBA mask. Did ok, but the good-ole spit worked better and was easier to carry around :trust:

Last edited:
Forgot to add that it didn't work all that great on my SCUBA mask. Did ok, but the good-ole spit worked better and was easier to carry around :trust:

Ah, the old SCUBA mask trick! Remember it well. About the only one available in the '60's. Don't think I want to try it on my M/C helmet! :lol2:

I like Zooke, but the wax dries out and is hard to apply. The spray went very quickly (probably too diluted). The drip bottle is what I like best. Drip on a few drops, spread it with my finger, then wipe off with the microfiber cloth.

Anybody know where to get it other than at the motorcycle show?

is there an add on for the helmet that will block your breath from the fisor, like a noce cover or what not?
My HJC will fog in the cold, but only when stopped.
It has great ventalation, the only down side it it gets pretty cold in there, oh and its pretty noisey too

Many years ago I found a anti-fog film at wally world that could be trimmed to size and fit on the inside of a faceshield. It stopped fogging in even the worst conditions, but it did not take well to being cleaned. So again, it was a temporary solution unless you have a large supply of film.

Google "anti-fog film" and you can find several products.

is there an add on for the helmet that will block your breath from the fisor, like a noce cover or what not?
It has great ventalation, the only down side it it gets pretty cold in there, oh and its pretty noisey too

Yes, HJC makes custom fit "breath box" and "breath guard" for their helmets. Depends on your model which is available. As mentioned before the double lenses snowmobile shields help also. Much warmer also for winter riding so solves your cold problem also.

_

Attachments

• breath_guard.jpg
    breath_guard.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 91
  • breathbox.jpg
    breathbox.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 112
When I played paintball we used shaving cream. You spray it on then wipe it off with a dry rag. Try it on your mirror at home, it works pretty well.

Another option is to buy a Scorpion Helmet with an Anti fog lense. I have never had a fog issue since I bought this helmet. Even in the rain.

I bought the HJC anti fog visor for my HJC CL15 and it worked for about 2 years...just noticed recently that the antifog property has quit:giveup:

Yup, Respro Foggy. Works even with glasses (because even if I got the shield to stay clear I'd have a hard time keeping my glasses clear in extreme weather).

Now I just have to find where I stowed mine... :ponder:

I like Zooke, but the wax dries out and is hard to apply. The spray went very quickly (probably too diluted). The drip bottle is what I like best. Drip on a few drops, spread it with my finger, then wipe off with the microfiber cloth.

Anybody know where to get it other than at the motorcycle show?
You can buy it direct from them or they offer a list of dealers on their site.

Yup, Respro Foggy. Works even with glasses
I bought one last year and it does a great job of anti fogging, particularly with glasses, however I quit using mine after a couple of weeks. I just couldn't get used to not breathing with my nose. It really pinches a lot. Maybe the ol' schnoz isn't cut out for the Respro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior
I've never tried, but I've heard great things....
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...r-Inserts.aspx

"I've heard the same, but you need a pintech-enabled visor"

It is also available in a stick on. Works great, never need to be reapplied.

I've used the Fog City stick-on version also and it definitely won't fog if installed correctly. The downside is you tend to get halos from lights when you use it at night which can be a bit distracting.

Did you read the comments for it??? :rofl:

Comments about EK Ekcessories Cat Crap Anti-Fog Lens Cleaner:

Cat Poo [...] keeps goggles from fogging, period. It is a slight bother to apply/wipe off. If they could make spray-on type (Cat Pee?) that would be more convenient.

On a serious note, I may have to try this stuff out. I've heard of it before, but I guess I need to try it out.

Back