• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is 16 too young to ride?

McLeod

Reaction score
First Name
Tery
Last Name
Poindexter
Ok here is a question I have been pondering for a while.

My son is 16 and has ridden dirt for a while.
We just got him a new Dual sport that is street legal and capable for him to ride back and fort to school.
I had used the excuse that his old bike wasn't street legal.

I wanted to get every ones opinion on whether I should let him get his Motorcycle license or hold off.

Very scary decision.
Needless he is chomping at the bit to ride.

No. I began riding on the street at 12 with a New Mexico under 200cc license. The earlier the better. That much more experience.

no. but just depends on how responsible he is !! i wish i would have started earlier in life, not at 25

Ok here is a question I have been pondering for a while.

My son is 16 and has ridden dirt for a while.
We just got him a new Dual sport that is street legal and capable for him to ride back and fort to school.
I had used the excuse that his old bike wasn't street legal.

I wanted to get every ones opinion on whether I should let him get his Motorcycle license or hold off.

Very scary decision.
Needless he is chomping at the bit to ride.

If he is responsible, always wears full gear and follows any other restrictions you impose (no riders, etc.) I say give him a chance. He will need to take and pass the MSF course as it is required now to get M/C endorsement.

At least you know he won't be out driving around a car load of kids, getting distracted, partying, etc.

Only you know your kid......Is he responsible, mature enough not to go show off to his buds, popping wheelies or seeing who's bike is faster. Is he aware enough that bumpers and grills really hurt and to be extremely cautious of the cagers..
Otherwise, if he has good dirt bike skills, and understands the seriousness of riding street, cut one more of those parenting strings.

I don't have kids but if I did, I'd give them the option of street legal dirtbike or scooter when they turn 16. It's good experience and it teaches them to live simply and cheaply. If it can't fit on a bike you don't need it. Plus it's always a great way to teach mechanics if they don't already know.

I rode for 4 years in college as my only transport and it was great.

Wow! Let's just ask a tough question:eek2:
Is 16 too young? No and yes. So many factors come into play with a question of this magnitude. The real answer lies in whether he demonstrates the capacity to restrain the temptations of wreckless behavior when riding and whether he is qualified. I personally would encourage him getting his license and taking the required courses for doing so if he shows he is mature enough to handle the responsibility that you are giving him. However, if his current behavior is wreckless and untrustworthy, then the answer is no, not at this time.

We can only instill so much in our children as they grow. If you did your job of training him correctly in the beginning, then there is no problem with him getting his license. Ensure that he understands that riding is a privilege and that the first hint of improper riding you as the parent will remove those riding privileges. It is never easy letting your child loose to do something that can be dangerous. But it is also rewarding for both when he sees the trust you have in him and the excitement that he will experience while riding.
It doesn't hurt to gain the experience at a young age when quick reflexes are a plus.:-P

All but one of my children ride and have been riding for years. The youngest (kirbykajin) is now 26. I am still anxious when he and his wife go out riding, but I am still excited that they share in the experiences that my wife and I share in while riding. It scares the **** out of me when he is one up on the CBR. But I have to lean on the fact that I did my best in teaching him safe riding practices to the point that he is lecturing me in my riding skills.
I personally got my license at age 15 and had been riding for several years before that. Four years later I got my pilots license as well. I always wanted my children to have the same opportunities to experience life as I have. It is never easy but it will be something that can bond the two of you even moreso as you share your experiences together.

Oh and the main thing is. Be sure you are prayed up each morning. Never, ever underestimate the power of prayer!!! ;-)

That's kind of like asking "How high is up?" Each kid is different.

I do know this: the first year of driving is the most dangerous. It has nothing to do with age. It's all about experience.

I started at about 8 years old. If you have a safe place to learn and have fun why not.
We will be buy our son a bike this winter. He is wanting to ride bad. I think he will do very well on a bike. Our son just turned 8 years old. Most like at yamaha 80.

Only you know your kid......Is he responsible, mature enough not to go show off to his buds, popping wheelies or seeing who's bike is faster. Is he aware enough that bumpers and grills really hurt and to be extremely cautious of the cagers..
Otherwise, if he has good dirt bike skills, and understands the seriousness of riding street, cut one more of those parenting strings.

+1

At 16, I was reasonably mature. My sister on the other hand.....
I'm not a parent so take what I say lightly but if he is mature enough, let him ride w/ a good # of stipulations. As time goes by and he shows he is complying, you can lessen them. I see you're also in Whitewright which is gonna be a lot different than riding in the metromess. At 40, sometimes even I get scared riding here. :doh:

Yes and no. For some kids 35 is too young to ride. For others, they show the maturity to ride a motorcycle safely at the age of 10. It just depends.

I believe a person should drive a car first to see all of the mistakes that can happen. Our kids proved it with the number of crashes.

Had my MC endorsement at 14 yr. but I was lucky to survive.

I believe that a kid who has to feel 'the pain of ownership' tends to be more careful with how he or she drives. I raised 4 who never got a ticket or had a wreck. I was a single parent and I explained to them that I would pay the insurance on a vehicle up to the point of the first ticket or the first wreck. Either of those would end the deal. But they each had to buy the vehicle and WORK on it AND they had to shop for insurance on their own before I would add them to my policy. I was supportive with tools and parts, but I would not pay for repairs (except for one transmission).

They have to be aware of the cost of driving and maintenance.

For the motorcycle, I would add that it goes away on the very first time he is seen on it with no gear or lack of gear.

Trust me, it is a very adult approach and it makes them feel loved. A strange balance.

One of my biggest thrills ever was the day I rode behind Hannah on her first street ride when she was 19. Pyro was a non running bike with a rusted tank and no carbs when Hannah picked it up. SHe got a lot of help from the guys in our area to put the bike on the road. ANd she is still getting help to keep it there!

If he is responsible, always wears full gear and follows any other restrictions you impose (no riders, etc.) I say give him a chance. He will need to take and pass the MSF course as it is required now to get M/C endorsement.

At least you know he won't be out driving around a car load of kids, getting distracted, partying, etc.

+1 my sentiments exactly. Our determination with Ninja Boy will be his mental capacity to handle himself in the street. Then again, he hasn't been on dirt much but he's got a few years.

Bottom line "is he ole enough" YES. I agree with the others the question isn't if he is old enough but is he responseable enough? If he hassle been riding in the dirt for awhile I'll bet that he has the skills but does he have the mind set for the streets? Only you can answer that.

Good luck on what you decide.

Yes and no. For some kids 35 is too young to ride. For others, they show the maturity to ride a motorcycle safely at the age of 10. It just depends.

+1

Nobody here knows your boy as well as you do.

I can't say I'd support Dr Rocco's recommendation to let your son decide, because I think we all know what you boy will say already.
:lol2:

ditto!

I started at 16 and only crashed twice that first year.

nothing more serious than nearly removing my left knee cap though.

my parrents set strick rules and they didn't give a inch, even grounding me and taking away the bike for a week when I got a flat tire and had to push the bike home 5 miles making me late!!

You're in Whitewright and not Dallas, so that makes the decision a LOT easier (IMHO). You are the best judge of your boy's "maturity" and skill level. I would lean toward a "yes", let him go for it.

I'll share my experiences with my son.

First of all he was driving my old farm truck at 8.

He began long trips as a pillon at age 12.

At 15 I decided he had the maturity to get a dirtbike. He rode on our property for a year. I do have the advantage of owning acreage to ride on and realize that may not be an option for everyone. But dirtbike experience is a very good way to teach the basics of motorcycle operation without the on-road dangers

At 15 he successfully completed the MSF BRC. At 16 he got a Kawasaki EX500 Ninja to start on the street. Even then he could only ride along with me for a couple of months. New riders should have mentors. He rode the Ninja for 3 years and about 9,000 miles. In September he sold the Ninja and bought an '07 Yamaha FZ-1. Both the bike and insurance are on his dime.

He was taught to wear the minimum of a helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves.

I knew, since I rode, that he would be a rider. At 16 and earlier I had some control over his riding. At 19 it's now his game and all I can do is hope my training, influence, and prayers keep him safe.

Have you priced how much your insurance will go up when you add him as a rider? That could make the decision easier. ;-)

Have you priced how much your insurance will go up when you add him as a rider? That could make the decision easier. ;-)

It's an XR250L, it probably doesn't have full coverage (and shouldn't for that matter), and isn't going to be that much. It's not like Dad bought him a Busa...LOL:rofl:

Back