• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Used Bike Buying Guide

Reaction score
I typed this for a couple of the other forums. Thought I'd post it over here.

Buying a used bike can be a stressful endeavor.
Questions abound; was the bike wrecked? Does it have any mechanical issues? Has the normal maintenance been kept up with?

This short guide can help unravel some of these questions as well as help give you some things to look for.
First, do your homework.
Determine what bike / bikes you’re interested in.
Check on line reviews or ask helpful dealers what they think of certain models.
Let the dealer know you’ll also consider him when it come time to buy, or for parts and service afterwards.
Check out www.nada.com and see what the bikes value is.
Also get a copy of your local Cycle trader, etc. and see what the market value is.
Depending on the bike, market value and NADA value can be significantly different.

Most motorcycle dealers do not allow test rides, and many private owners are very hesitant to allow test rides by individuals.
Inquire if the dealer you’re talking with will do a cursory general inspection and test drive for you. Many will do so for a nominal fee.

If an owner is unwilling to bring a bike to have it looked at, or you can’t find someone to look at it for you, here are some things to check out:
Look at the overall cosmetic condition of the bike. Is it weathered looking or does it have rusted components?
Does the bodywork fit well, not have any cracks or road rash?
Are the fasteners all present and are not mismatched. Any of these things can mean the bike has been down and repaired.

Also look for scratches at points that might have not been replaced from a crash; scratch marks on levers, bar ends, brake pedal / shift lever, engine covers, axles and swingarm.
Sure, some marks may be from a drop in the driveway, but there’s a big difference from marks left from a not at speed drop and a low side crash.

Check out the tires. Are they worn or close to the wear indicators? Are the tires dry rotted / dry cracked?

How are the brake pads? Anything less than 2 credit cards thickness of the pad will need service soon.

Is the brake fluid dark or yellow / clear looking?
Dark brake fluid will need to be flushed and bled soon.

Are the chain and sprockets worn? Look for kinks in the chain or rust.
Check out the rear sprocket, are the teeth nice and wide, or are they very sharp and pointed?

How does the oil look? Is it clean and filled to the proper level or dark and low or even over filled.

Look at the forks and shock / shocks for signs of leaking or rust / pitting.

Has the owner kept up with the regularly scheduled maintenance on the bike? Does he have receipts?

If everything looks good, now you’re ready to start the bike.
First, is the bike warm or cold?
A bike already at operating temp could mean difficulty starting when cold.
Listen to how the bike starts; does it turn over easily and fire right off.
Does any smoke come from the exhaust?
If it’s a cold start, it’ll take a minute or three to warm up and settle into an even idle.
The bike should then take gas and free rev easily.

If you can test drive the bike, make sure it’ll go into all of the gears and they don’t pop out of gear. Transmission repairs on most motorcycles require engine removal and are expensive.

See if you can feel the clutch slipping. Typically I’ll put the bike in 5th or 6th gear at around ¼ of the max rpm and then crack the throttle wide open. The bike should slowly move out, but the rpms should build gradually and not climb wildly.

Does the bike pull one way or the other? It could simply be as simple as a misaligned chain or something more serious.

If everything checks out, you can begin the negotiation process.
One caveat; make sure the seller either has a clear / clean title, or that the lien holder will release the title to either you or your bank once it’s paid off.

If you’re in doubt about anything, have a professional inspect it or check the title status.

Good luck, and ride well!

Last edited by a moderator:
All those listed things are good, but I also look around the garage and house and see how things are keep. If everything is a mess I usually pass on the bike because that's probably the way the bike has been keep up, ie, a lot of neglect. Not always true, but it is something to consider. The bike is the main consideration here, but too much owner BS doesn't go far with me either.

John

All those listed things are good, but I also look around the garage and house and see how things are keep. If everything is a mess I usually pass on the bike because that's probably the way the bike has been keep up, ie, a lot of neglect. Not always true, but it is something to consider. The bike is the main consideration here, but too much owner BS doesn't go far with me either.

John

Exactly.

Ask around. There are a few good shops that will do a visual inspection and test drive for free.

Sorry, no ill intent in my post. I guess I did kind of toe a line a bit there. Ooops....

One other suggestion. Make sure the inspection sticker is in date. There was a bike up in the Dallas area we almost went to look at with the intent to purchase. When the owner went to several locations to try and get it inspected they would not perform the inspection. They said it would not pass due to "issues" as he put it. He finally said he could not get the inspection sticker for us before we came up. I was thankful he was honest enough to admit that.

Back