• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW Area - Weekend Riding...with Curves!

Reaction score
Hello, I am from the midwest originally and have taken several trips to the Deal's Gap/Cherohala Skyway area in Tenn and NC. While I know it is difficult to find roads with similar twists and turns around DFW, I am interested in finding something with more than just a "kink" around here! LOL I heard there are some good roads west of Ft Worth. Please provide any recommendations. Thanks, Chris

This number of views yet no replies??!! Am I to assume that there are no curvy roads near DFW? LOL

Well there is this little road called FM-4 from Granbury to Palo Pinto. It is not all twists and curves the whole way, but has plenty. Going the other way from Granbury is 51. It gets pretty good towards 67. There are a lot of good roads around Cranfills Gap a little farther south.

Good roads around the Glen Rose area (203, 927, 1238, 51)SW of Fort Worth. Hwy 5 west of Aledo is good for something local, about 5 miles of good. Next best place is Arkansas or Hill Country (West of San Antonio)

Agree with Ed on Hwy 4 as well, pavement can be a little sketchy though unless they have redone the road in the last few months.

It's no Tail of the Dragon, but I've enjoyed 455 west from Sanger, then the loop around St. Jo, Muenster, and Forestburg. Spanish Wells is up north of there, too, and that is a nice ride. Not a lot of real twisties, but more curves than you'll see around DFW.

Try this:

S. 157 OUT OF MANSFIELD
W. 917 TO GODLEY
W. 171 TO 2331
S. 2331 TO 4
W. 4 TO GRANBURY
W. 377 TO 51
S. 51 TO 67
N. 67 TO 203
S. 203 TO 144
S. 144 TO 927
S. 927 TO 1238
S. 1238 TO 219
W. 219 TO 1602
N. 1602 TO 281
N. 281 TO HICO LUNCH
N. 220 TO 2481
N 2481 TO 377
S. 377 TO 1188
N. 1188 & 1189 TO LIPAN
E. 4 TO GRANBURY
N. 377 TO 1187
E. 1187 TO HOME

I've got more, but that's a decent one.

FM455 north of the metromess is usually pretty popular. Though a good section got ruined by TxDOT with the chipseal they put down.

FM455 north of the metromess is usually pretty popular. Though a good section got ruined by TxDOT with the chipseal they put down.

I think the section between Anna (US75) and Celina (TX289) is the worst. Celina, west to Pilot Point might be a little better and Pilot Point on westward is pretty good. My favorite part is west of Sanger to the end of the line at Montague.

Yea, it sucks. When I lived in Plano I'd head up Preston and catch 455 over to 75 and back again for a quick jaunt. I can't believe how badly they messed it up.

All this "455" talk makes me think I might need to take a run out that way and check out the Greenwood Grocery & Grill. I've heard they've got some good eats. :eat:

Unfortunately, I'm currently bikeless, so I'll have to cage it in the 'stang.

Another good one is FM 407 from I-35W west to Justin. Turn left in Justin off 407 at the light, and right at the next right to follow it to US 287, there are more good curves. Or reverse it if you go west to Sanger from the Metroplex to 455, an follow the way back to 287. I live around this area, and 407 around Justin is about as good as it gets for twisties. +1 on the 455 route. That skirts the LBJ National Grasslands. The roads are two lane, little to no traffic.

Thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts! I really appreciate your insight. Riding straight roads around Dallas and Plano has become a real drag! I will give your routes a try! Thanks again for the input!

Chris

Yes, I'll vouch for 455 being a good ride as well.

Plan a trip through the Ouachita mountains in AR or down south to the hill country for any real decent ridding.

FM 272 from Celeste all the way around to Leonard is a fun road.

FM 697 from highway 69 just north of Whitewright up to Highway 11 just south of Sherman is another good one.

FM 2225 from Highway 515 just east of Lake Fork down to 154.

FM 1805 from 110 just north of Van up to FM 1253.

Those are just a few samples of the many our weekend riding group have found.

ride out to sherman texas and ride fm 697, its worth the trip, its by the airport...it beats the heck out of fm 455

Agreed on 697. Although, it's way too short. If only we had roads like that which went on for hours.

Nice first post telcoman. Welcome to the board.

Vow for 455 streching long from Freeway 75 accross ray roberts lake all the way crossing 35W and heck keep it north all the way to ST JO...:lol2:
Fill up the gas keep going north and you ll see wind mill hohohohoho...
Nice 3-4 hours ride will made you hungry.....:eat:

Heck...I havent ride since thank s giving...
All those curvey calling me....:eek2:...cant wait for a bit warmer day to ride..
I think it would be nice if we all can meet up to have little short touring around north side of DFW...:lol2:

Back