• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Health Insurance and helmets

mjacks

Reaction score
Here is something I received today in an insurance industry email concerning proof of health insurance and riding with out a helmet. Looks like you will need to carry another proof of insurance if you choose to go with out the helmet.

Proof of Health Insurance for Motorcycle Owners and Passengers

If a health insurance customer or group plan participant asks you to provide evidence of coverage for their health insurance so they can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, here's why. The Texas Transportation Code requires motorcycle operators and passengers to wear protective headgear, unless they are 21 years of age and present evidence of coverage by a health insurance plan that provides injury benefits. SB 1967, passed in the legislative session earlier this year and effective Sept. 1, requires TDI to prescribe a standard proof of health insurance for this purpose. TDI officials are working on the rulemaking process to comply with this law. In the meantime, TDI issued a bulletin to health insurers and plans encouraging them to adopt temporary procedures for providing documentation that an individual's coverage includes medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of a motorcycle accident.

But doesn't the PIP rider cover the medical portion?

Only to the amount you specify which is probably $2500. Usually the max you can get is $10k. It is only meant to cover minor stuff or your health insurance deductibles if it more severe.

The email is not entirely correct. It's 21+ with medical insurance that covers motorcycle crashes OR have completed a Motorcycle Safety Course (BRC or ERC).

You can just as easily carry a copy (NEVER the original) of your MSF course completion card and you'll still be ok. Or just wear your lid. :trust:

One of the problems with the previous law ($10,000 minimum coverage) was that insurance companies were reluctant to issue cards with coverage amounts on them.

This new card is designed to take care of that issue.

Well, I have a collection of MSF cards, and have to present one every time I go through the gate at Fort Hood. It's not a big deal to carry the document, and I often present it to local dealers and ask if they have a MSF discount. Not all dealerships offer a MSF discount, but I got 10% off from a dealer who did not have an established MSF discount when I bought my jacket; presented the card and asked. Always worth a try.

Back