• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Do it all lens for D 60

Reaction score
Guys I would like to carry my d60 on my dual sport but would like to take only one lens. I have a something to 80 and then an 80-300.
I think I would like something like an 18-300. Who makes the best one for the money and would that be a good way to go.
Thanks

Don,

For several months now I've been using the Tamron 18-270 lens that STScott linked to in his post. I bought it for the same reason you stated - a do-it-all lens to carry on my dual sport bike. I've liked it so much that it is my do-it-all lens for everyday shooting. It stays on my camera 75% of the time.

The strong point of this lens is an excellent focus range, image stabilization, and good image quality.

The biggest negative for me is the f.3.5 - 6.3 variable aperture. It's not a fast lens at all, so low light situations are challenging. Situations such as indoor without a flash, early morning, or early evening can make it tough to get acceptable shots.

I often shoot in low light situations, so the way I solved the issue with the Tamron lens was to carry a second lens for low light situations. I bought a 50mm f1.8 prime lens with me. It's only $100, is very small and light, so it's easy to pack on the bike.

All the daylight pics I took on the most recent MexTrek were made with the Tamron lens. All the low light shots on the plaza were made with the 50mm prime. Here's the link to those pics on my smugmug if you want to have a look at them.

Last edited:
Here's another review of the Tamron 18-270. This one lets you play with the f/stop and focal length settings to see the 'sweet spot' in their testing of the lens. Click on the Blur Index for this test.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1217/cat/all

I use the Nikon 18-200VR and am pleased with the results for a single carry lens. It too isn't the fastest lens out there, but for one lens on the camera, it'll hold it's own. Sort of expensive compared to the Tameron as well.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/250/cat/all

I've had a D80 for a couple years and the 18-200VR is my goto choice for a lens. Heavier than I would like but shoots it all handheld.

Other lenses I'd get
The 50mm1.8 for $100 is a steal for a prime lens which is fast, sharp and gathers a ton of light. The 35mm recently introduced is as much of as steal at $200. The only other lens I'm getting is the 70mm-300G lens for about $130, another steal.

Thanks guys!
I ordered the Tamron.
I think that it will be plenty good enough for me.
Now if I ever learn what all the buttons do:eek2:, I may want to upgrade!:lol2:

Back