• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Headlamp and Taillamp-Replace with Standard Equipment or Upgrade?

scar04

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Last Name
Saldana
Okay folks, I'm asking the TWT knowledge database for opinions and ideas. This past Saturday I had a wash day for the bikes, my Z and my mom's Tahoe. Got everything washed and waxed and shiny and whatnot. I still need to get a new powerball and polish to clean up a few spots on the VROD, but regardless.

While washing my Dyna Glide I found that my headlight has a very tiny hole in it. It looks almost like someone shot a bb gun at it from inside as the inside where the pin hole is kinda warped. Other than that, the lens is fine. I am a little worried about getting caught in the rain and shorting it out, which would really be not good. Then, I noticed some fogging in tail lamp assembly. So, I'm guessing it's not sealed properly or something. I'm less concerned here simply because I know the bulbs are sealed, but I do not want to just ignore the issue.

So, here's my question: Is there a way to fix the parts, or do I just replace and go standard equipment, or do I upgrade to LED tail lights and a halogen head light? Sub question is, do I go factory and shell out for Harley labeled parts or can I find something just as good, if not better, through aftermarket parts folks?

My big concern is fitment, not logo, so I don't care if it has the Bar & Shield on it. I've also been thinking about adding some small driving lights to supplement the single head lamp, so it may be a good time to do that while I'm replacing parts.

Sorry, too many thoughts at once.

Thanks in advance gang.

Last edited:
don't know anything about repairs, or whats available for HD for that matter, but I'd go aftermarket upgrades. Odds are you can get better equipment for less money then going OEM.

There are quite a few giant part houses that have all kinds of H-D parts. J&P Cycles and Dennis Kirk just to name two. Go online and see what's available for your bike. I'm certain there are enough aftermarket parts to build an entire H-D without using a single genuine bar & shield part. :-P

If the headlamp is a not a sealed beam (which it likely is not since it has not burned out yet), the hole shouldn't be much of a problem but technically won't pass safety inspection. There are headlamp repair kits much like windshield repair kits that are supposed to be able to fill a hole. I've never tried one.

The tail lamp may just need a gasket. Many times the gasket isn't installed correctly from the get-go but can be repositioned to make a proper seal.

basically superglue it what those windshield repair places use. You might actually consider one of those places for a nice finish.

on HD's with standard 7" headlight size it is a generic sealed beam halogen and you can get Sylvania silver star sealed beam lamps at any chain auto parts stores.

better yet in the bling bling section of Autozones they have replacement clear lens lights in standard 7" size that take the H4 bulb common on many import bikes and some even have halo glow rings for some added bling.

or you can go really cool and be the talk of the biker bar with this headlight!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HARLEY-SKULL-ETCHED-HALOGEN-H4-HEADLIGHT-NEW-7-INCH_W0QQitemZ350267402393QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518d906899

headlight.jpg

Back