• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Xr400 v drz

Reaction score
I've found a DRZ400e and XR400 same year for the same price and I'd like some opinions on the differences. I know the XR4 is lighter due to being air cooled but the DRZ a little more power.

I mainly ride the street and have a KLR and I want something a little more nimble. Is either of these capable of say a 200-300 mile slab day if I want to take it into Mexico?

Yes, either is capable...if your rear is. And the DRZ has a lot more power. What year DRZ? If 2001-2007 then it makes more power than the DRZ S. Otherwise it is the same motor.

I have done a 300 mile day on my XR-250. Either of the 400s mentioned can do. Comes down to the differences in technology and equipment. Either is a good pick.

Does the DRZ have that much more power than the XR? I've riden a DRZsm and it didn't feel near as fast as my XR.
The XR is a great bike for sure, I'm out in katy and you're more than welcome to come take mine for a spin. I should be around working on the house most of the day.

A lot of the time fast feeling has to do with gearing and some with the carb (throttle response). The DRZsm (and S) has the mikuni CV carb and unless it has been rejetted it will feel sluggish off the line. Not sure how the stock gearing on the SM is, but the S is geared for highway use. The E has a FCR carb, higher compression piston, different cams and is geared for offroad. Even stock, it will feel much quicker than the S or SM.

My memory may be a little off, but I think the stock xr400 was around 27hp and stock DRZ E was 35-37hp.

That being said, I wouldn't choose between the two on power. The E has a more adjustable suspension and electric start. I'm a lazy old guy and lean towards e-start all the time. Both will haul you down the road just fine.

Both are great bikes. However, all other factors being equal (Cost, condition, etc) I would definitely lean towards the DRZ-E.

I've got a 2000 that has the FCR and whatnot, and love the power. I've been down hard, several times, and have not had issues with busting radiators or anything like that.

It would probably take a 100' cliff fall to kill an XR400 vs a 90' cliff to kill a DRZ.

E-Start is great, also.

Maybe I am off on this, but isn't the XR400 not street legal from the factory and the DRZ is. Since you are doing mostly street riding wouldn't the factory street legal machine be the choice? Or is the XR400 you are looking at already plated and ready for the street?

nether the XR or DRZe are street legal, both have to be converted
I converted my XR to street, but I don't ride it on the road as much as I thought I would.
I've actually been kicking around the idea of selling or trading for a modern 250 4 stroke

A lot of the time fast feeling has to do with gearing and some with the carb (throttle response). The DRZsm (and S) has the mikuni CV carb and unless it has been rejetted it will feel sluggish off the line. Not sure how the stock gearing on the SM is, but the S is geared for highway use. The E has a FCR carb, higher compression piston, different cams and is geared for offroad. Even stock, it will feel much quicker than the S or SM.

My memory may be a little off, but I think the stock xr400 was around 27hp and stock DRZ E was 35-37hp.

That being said, I wouldn't choose between the two on power. The E has a more adjustable suspension and electric start. I'm a lazy old guy and lean towards e-start all the time. Both will haul you down the road just fine.

you know you're right, IIRC the DRZsm would cruise at a decent clip on the street, and my XR, while it'll wheelie with eaze, has a fairly low top speed. But I have it geared down 1 tooth in the front.

I do love my XR, I've had it in mud up to the axle, and water half way up my shins and it tractored through

Assuming condition is roughly the same, looks and maintenance.. I’d go with the DRZ.. Had the XR, kept the DRZ.

Over all, Besides power,on the DRZ, the suspension is better OEM, as well as what you can do with it. As mentioned it has E start.. and it's a fast trail bike,, to me that would be a deal breaker.. I have dirt bikes for the track and off road racing...they have just a kicker.. For a trail bike,, it's all about the E start.. LOL

You can by a DS kit, but unless that really what you’re looking for, you'll be cheaper and up with a more personal choice by building your own DS setup.

That said,, having not done so in TX,, can you still plate a bike that was sold with an MSO that states off road? Many states you cannot, no idea on TX,, So confirm that for sure. Though, DRZ s frames and titles are available if you’re interested.

He can plate the DRZ once it is street legal if he goes that route. Baja D does make a kit, and you can piecemeal the parts also. Plan on $500 or so to do the conversion right. (been there, done that)

That triggered something in my memory, be sure that the title is current, and in the name of the person selling it to you. Having to clean up a title mess from sales that were never recorded is a huge **** (been there, done that too, same bike)

That triggered something in my memory, be sure that the title is current, and in the name of the person selling it to you. Having to clean up a title mess from sales that were never recorded is a huge **** (been there, done that too, same bike)

Good point :clap: ,, and it’s very common on dirt only bikes… I’m stuck right now on the purchase of a 2007 KX250…. 4th owner, MSO is lost, never registered as not required for a dirt only bike…….Still working though that issue.

I did the DIY street legal kit and probably only have $150 wrapped up in it.
I put on the BD LED tail / brake light
rewired the stock headlight for high/low beam
put in the brake switch for the rear brake
bought a universal handlebar switch
a cheap horn and mirror and wired it up.
my horn is powered by a 9v battery

He can plate the DRZ once it is street legal if he goes that route. Baja D does make a kit, and you can piecemeal the parts also. Plan on $500 or so to do the conversion right. (been there, done that)

Good point :clap: ,, and it’s very common on dirt only bikes… I’m stuck right now on the purchase of a 2007 KX250…. 4th owner, MSO is lost, never registered as not required for a dirt only bike…….Still working though that issue.

so what are the steps, if you're the 10th owner or whatever on a dirt bike or ATV to get a title?

so what are the steps, if you're the 10th owner or whatever on a dirt bike or ATV to get a title?

If the last owner on record by TXDOT cannot be located to sign for a lost title (note signature forging won't work as you must submit copy of their Drivers license also) only one option that I know of is a bonded title. Here's the link but honestly sounds like more trouble than it's worth. You're better off to sell the bike you have as off road only without title and buy another.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/drivers_vehicles/vehicle_titles/bonded.htm

_

If the last owner on record by TXDOT cannot be located to sign for a lost title (note signature forging won't work as you must submit copy of their Drivers license also) only one option that I know of is a bonded title. Here's the link but honestly sounds like more trouble than it's worth. You're better off to sell the bike you have as off road only without title and buy another.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/drivers_vehicles/vehicle_titles/bonded.htm

_

And, right on queue, we have: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43170

I had a 96 XR400 (all years were very similar). Then I bought a 2000 or 2001 DRZ. Major upgrade. Better bike in just about every aspect. Power, suspension, riding position... No comparison IMO.

I have one of each. 96 xr4, 07 drzsm. DR goes 95, xr4 maybe 80..gearing limited. But for me it's all about the magic little button. E start is worth every penny. Just find a clean s model. i looked at drz's for a while and saw a couple of stellar ones on CL for $2200 and $2400 with clean title.

In mexico last week it was proven to me how much faster an earlier e model is (at least 15%) but i used 9 liters when he used up a whole oversize 12-13 liter tank riding the same distance. I also had 15/41 vs his 15/48 or so gearing. The sor sm model, with a big tank, should have exceptional range. I got 110 to 120 miles on 2.2 gallons offroad / onroad mix, riding at 7/10ths all day. A 4 gallon tank would outlast the sunshine in Mexico on a DRZ S.

If you are interested I have a clean running all stock 96 XR4, no title, but not stolen, I'd sell ya for $1500. Needs some fresh tires and grip glue on the right grip, and an oil change to be 100%.

OP wants a "more nimble" dual-sport. The XR4 he is looking at is street legal. A BD kit is $500 (like poser, I made my XR4 street legal for less than $150 but you have to be a bit of a tinkerer).

OP says he wants to do "mainly street" and "200-300 mile slab", so the better offroad suspension on a stock DRZ probably does not matter.

I say go for the XR400.

That said, I can't imagine doing 200-300 miles on the pavement with either of these bikes unless they are seriously neutered with respect to trail riding (which is what they were designed for). My XR4 is screaming for mercy at 65mph, has no wind protection, and a seat that would make a grown man cry after 50 miles of pavement. HOWEVER, with a few mods and tuning it is a reliable and proficient trail bike, which is, after all, what is was designed for!

Cheers,

Ben

Had the XR4, Now have the DRZ-K, Both are great bike's with the Z being more powerful, Yesirebob. The XR will always be there for ya, It's almost a ride and forget where the Z might need a little valve ck here and there. The Z is better looking I think, If your gonna be cruising chick's:rider:

I mainly ride the street and have a KLR and I want something a little more nimble. Is either of these capable of say a 200-300 mile slab day if I want to take it into Mexico?

175 miles on the DRZ was not comfortable at all on the stock seat. In about 1 hour I get uncomfortable. In 10 hours of dual sporting I never noticed it, but on the highway it was a grind.

My DRZ cruises pretty smooth at 70. No fuzz in my mirrors, even with monster knobbies on it. I can commute it at 75 - 80 for my 20 mile commute, but it's buzzy.

But the first trail or turn I am soooo glad not to be on a KLR 650 or similar. It's an amazingly capable off road bike, even in stock form. The XR may be even better with the low gearing, bash plate, and latin american parts availability, but you'd lose the low gearing if you geared it for the highway.

I did the DIY street legal kit and probably only have $150 wrapped up in it.
I put on the BD LED tail / brake light
rewired the stock headlight for high/low beam
put in the brake switch for the rear brake
bought a universal handlebar switch
a cheap horn and mirror and wired it up.
my horn is powered by a 9v battery
We need to talk more. I don't want to worry about blinkers and just want the minimum to ride around town and get to the trails.

Back