• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Got a new toy, and its orange.... [ATV restore project]

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
....but its of the devil :twisted:

EDIT: I guess I should fix the title since this is a proper project thread and all.

Oh and so you don't have to read too far down, I picked up a '98 Suzuki Quadrunner 500 for cheap and I'm having fun "restoring" it.

EDIT 3/6: Project complete! Its not orange anymore, and I'd say it looks good. It runs great and is a blast to ride. It is a beast though.
See post #74 for pics of finished product.

Last edited:
Re: Got a new toy, and its orange....

No pics - never happened.

You know the rulz...... :deal:

I'll get some teaser pics up soon

about to take the wife out to dinner, I'll get some more pics tomorrow, but for now...

S5030050.jpg

"man gets awesome new devilish toy...wife gets dinner" Story @10. :mrgreen::-P

Very ugly from that picture!

So it was just the carb, like you mentioned it might be?

Dunno yet, all I did was hook jumnper cables to it, to get juice to the battery, and for kick and giggles tried to start it. After just a bit it fired and died. The it started and stayed running. I drove it about 5 feet and turned it off, the oil in it is BLACK, and there's WAY too much. The sight window [or whatever you call it] is completely full.
I'm going to put fresh fluids in it and a spark plug before I ride it.
So far I know its going to need a vavle adjustment as they were pretty loud.

So WHAT is it?

....still waiting..... :ponder:

Not a Kubota.
Its a '98 Suzuki Quadrunner 500 4x4. I bought it cheap, under the impression that it didn't run and needed work. I'm always up for a challenge and have been wanting a cheap project ATV for about a month or so now.
Its missing a few parts for the 4wd to work, but the motor is good. It'll need some paint on metal parts, there's not much I can do about the plastics.
The carb probably needs a tune up, and so does the motor. I'll probably put a few hundred dollars into it, but should make a decent profit on it.
My intention is to flip it, after all part of the fun is getting it running and in good shape like I did the XR400.

S5030052.jpg

S5030051.jpg

I may post some pics of the fix up, or just when I'm done. Like I said I plan to flip it eventually, but I'll have some fun with it first :trust:

Just don't flip it on top of yourself.

Install some cupholders, cover the plastics with cammo vinyl and swap some chrome rims onto it, then bring it up to Muenster and sell it for a tidy profit in a very short amount of time. :mrgreen:

You had me all ready to hate you when you said it was orange and the devil. But....it's an ATV, not what I thought you had gotten. :mrgreen: Though, I don't doubt it'll be long before I will be hating you for that very reason.

well I said it was of the devil because of a thread a while back asking if ATVs were of the devil.
What did you think I had? KTM ATV? HAHA :lol2: I wish! Those things are SWEET!!

well I said it was of the devil because of a thread a while back asking if ATVs were of the devil.
What did you think I had? KTM ATV? HAHA :lol2: I wish! Those things are SWEET!!
Nah, I hadn't figured the ATV route yet, but I thought you'd finally picked up a KTM SM. And I would truly hate you for that.

Nah, I hadn't figured the ATV route yet, but I thought you'd finally picked up a KTM SM. And I would truly hate you for that.

I wish, maybe someday [like when the kid graduates college :rofl:]

Hmmm... moved to the projects section.
Guess I have to fix it and post pics now :mrgreen:

If anyone has a few extra hours in the day they're not using can I have them :lol2:

I hear ya, I hear ya for sure.

Of course, then you'll have all the parent loans to pay off. :rofl:

Ain't that the truth...anyone want to adopt a Baylor Sophomore? I sure would like a new set of wheels...heck I'd like to be able to afford a day at Muenster..so how about it? He only eats as much as the yearly cost of school!

You are messing in the devil's playground with that wretched kwad.

Back