• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battery Tender

Reaction score
First Name
Brotha
Last Name
J
I'm not sure where this question falls as far as topics go.

Can I use my motorcycle battery tender to "top off" a marine battery. The battery is installed in our pop-up camper; which sits in the backyard for most of the year. But, when we go camping I plan on taking the pup out at least a week in advance.

I want to make sure that the battery is juiced up. I assume it loses some juice just sitting, but I know it won't need a full on jump.

How much amperage does your Tender put out?
If it's the Yuasa 900ma one it won't do much.

The 1.5 amp Battery Tender brand isn't a lot either but it will very slowly charge the battery if you have an extended time to use it.

I'd recommed running up to Sears Hardware and pick up one of their chargers for $40-50 that has a 2amp / 10amp setting as well as a boost setting if you ever need to jump off your car.

I've got a pair of batteries out of a semi. They're 1000cca each. I've used my 1.5amp charger to charge them. It takes a while to bring em back up to 100% but it does do it.

Your battery tender will be fine as long as it has time to do it's job.

I had a 5th wheel that actually charged off of the vehicle while driving.
If you have a flat plug to the vehicle your probably wont be setup like that, but if its a round type, it may already do it or depending on the battery location and your skillset, you could convert it.
If you do extended camping it might be a good idea.
As the battery stored charge is used up....you can hook the camper back to the vehicle and let the vehicle idle. This will give you a charge without too much hassle.

One word of caution....dont leave it hooked up and not running. I never had issues with it draining but other people I know did. I think it depends on the campers battery condition.

I had a 5th wheel that actually charged off of the vehicle while driving.
If you have a flat plug to the vehicle your probably wont be setup like that, but if its a round type, it may already do it or depending on the battery location and your skillset, you could convert it.
If you do extended camping it might be a good idea.
As the battery stored charge is used up....you can hook the camper back to the vehicle and let the vehicle idle. This will give you a charge without too much hassle.

One word of caution....dont leave it hooked up and not running. I never had issues with it draining but other people I know did. I think it depends on the campers battery condition.

If the rv power plug is wired correct , a relay between the rv hot wire and the towing vehicle battery it will be maintaince free , no draw when the towing vehicle is not running but will charge the rv battery when towing . a five watt solar panel will keep an rv battery charged while in storage with no battery draw and sunlight . SEYA

has anyone ever seen spare pigtails hanging on a peg at a local shop? I don't want to mail order one so I can have one on each bike and double the price to mail it to me.

has anyone ever seen spare pigtails hanging on a peg at a local shop? I don't want to mail order one so I can have one on each bike and double the price to mail it to me.

I must be new to this, but what are the pigtails you are referring to? Granted, I've never owned a battery tender in my life, so this just isn't something I've got a ton of experience with.

It's the quick connect to hook up a battery tender. You put it on your battery and leave the connector exposed so it's easier to hook up. It's also a handy place to tap into battery power for accessories.

I must be new to this, but what are the pigtails you are referring to? Granted, I've never owned a battery tender in my life, so this just isn't something I've got a ton of experience with.

What FLB said. It's nice to be able to pull out the pigtail and plug in the tender rather than get to the battery and put the alligator clamps on it. With my Ninja for example, I have to lift the tank to get to the battery. ****.

Ah, the little 2 prong SAE connector? Any auto parts store, tractor supply, Lowes, or even some Wal-marts carry them. Just look in the trailer section and there are plenty of them for less than $2 for 2.

nice threadjack

Let's see...

it's related to the topic, people who might have an answer to the original question are more likely to have an answer to this question, and it's a bump to the thread... Doesn't seem like a thread jack to me. :zen:

Back