PDA

View Full Version : FJR vs 14 Concours

Patrick
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I believe I've finally narrowed it down. I'm wanting a true sport touring bike with things like hard bags, shaft drive, etc.
Like the last thread I did on the Bandit / FZ1 comparison, I'm very familiar with both bikes mechanically, but I'm looking for input from owners of their likes and dislikes.
Thanks in advance!

ceddec
10-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Not that there is any bias on this site but http://lmgtfy.com/?q=C14+site%3Afjrforum.com :lol2:

ed29
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
There are two correct answers to your question.

1) The FJR is the best bike ever built. It does everything well, has excellent looks, comfort, power, gas mileage, handling, and reliability.

2) The Concours 14 is the best bike ever built. It does everything well, has excellent looks, comfort, power, gas mileage, handling, and reliability.

I joke, but all too often that is where these threads end up. Seriously though, my only two gripes about my FJR are the smallish side bags, and the extra heavy throttle return spring. The cases are all rounded and pretty, which translates into less usable space inside than it looks like they should have. The locking and hanging mechanisms protrude into the interiors to keep the sexy shape on the outside.

I hear that the 08 and newer come with a lighter spring in the throttle, so that gripe may have been fixed by Yamaha.

I am happy with the power, handling, comfort, and reliability of my FJR.

jcyuhn
10-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Have you tried asking this question at the fjrforum? :rofl:

OK, seriously. I have a 2006 model, have put about 15K miles on it thus far. Overall it is a great bike. For commuting, touring, and sport-touring it does everything well. It is comfortable for eating miles, it is fun to fling through twisty roads, it will carry a passenger passably well, hard bags and (optional) trunk provide lots 'o storage.

What I like:
- Strong and flexible real world engine power - good grunt down low, good pull up high.
- Good handling, reasonable brakes, reasonable suspension pieces.
- Good comfort - I'm a lanky 6' tall, and it fits like a standard UJM. Smaller folks have some reach to the bars and usually install risers. Stock saddle is decent, all things considered.
- Good compromise between weather protection and airflow - Less protection than, for example, a BMW RT - but it's more comfortable in warm weather as a result.
- Good heat management for a 1.3 liter bike.
- Easy and inexpensive maintenance. Zero disassembly required to change the oil, filter, and final drive. Valves are done at 26K mile intervals.
- Good solid design - There's no one thing that consistently breaks on these bikes.
- Lots of aftermarket support. I have a Givi v46 trunk - there are probably a half dozen mounting options - Zumo, heated grips, two windshields, etc.

What I would change:
- Too many problems. The bike has had two service campaigns (instrument cluster and fuel computer) and one recall (ignition switch) since new. Briefly stranded me on the road once, but managed to limp it home (and promptly schedule ignition switch recall work!)
- Engine is extremely smooth up to ~75MPH, but then picks up some buzz.
- Fueling isn't up to par for the class. Other bikes have smoother throttle pickup and don't surge as much. Newer model years seem to be better in this regard.
- Less weight would be better. Hasn't caused me any difficulties, but some folks complain.

Compared to the Councours (I haven't ridden a Concours, these are anecdotal based on talking to folks, sitting on the bike, etc.)
- Concours doesn't manage heat as well.
- Concours has smoother engine, more top end punch but less low-mid power.
- Concours appears to be higher specification, e.g. engine has VVT, fancy rear suspension, etc. but doesn't ride any better on the road for it.
- Ergonomics on the Concours are just a bit more aggressive.
- Routine maintenance tasks much more difficult/expensive on the Concours.
- Both bikes will eat tires. They are heavy and powerful, but run on sportbike sized rubber. Expect 4K-10K miles per tire set, depending on what you buy and how you ride.

I bought the FJR because the Concours didn't really exist at the time. It was present at the moto shows, but you couldn't sit on it, couldn't ride it, and didn't know the price or on-sale date. I discounted the Honda ST because it's more a mini-goldwing than a sport-tourer. The BMW GT appealed to me, but I didn't feel offered extra value to a low mileage rider like me for the extra cost.

You can't go wrong with either the FJR or Concours - they are far more alike than different. Buy whichever appeals to you. Kaw seems to have made some nice updates to the '10 Concours, the FJR hasn't changed (again).

ekms377
10-26-2009, 02:26 PM
A guy at my work has a C14 right now and has had a FJR in the past.....he said he likes the C14 but it doesn't get the MPG that his FJR got.
I would like to try a C14 as I have had a FJR as well....which got 40+ mpg all day long even in traffic.

Patrick
10-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Have you tried asking this question at the fjrforum? :rofl:

OK, seriously. I have a 2006 model, have put about 15K miles on it thus far. Overall it is a great bike. For commuting, touring, and sport-touring it does everything well. It is comfortable for eating miles, it is fun to fling through twisty roads, it will carry a passenger passably well, hard bags and (optional) trunk provide lots 'o storage.

What I like:
- Strong and flexible real world engine power - good grunt down low, good pull up high.
- Good handling, reasonable brakes, reasonable suspension pieces.
- Good comfort - I'm a lanky 6' tall, and it fits like a standard UJM. Smaller folks have some reach to the bars and usually install risers. Stock saddle is decent, all things considered.
- Good compromise between weather protection and airflow - Less protection than, for example, a BMW RT - but it's more comfortable in warm weather as a result.
- Good heat management for a 1.3 liter bike.
- Easy and inexpensive maintenance. Zero disassembly required to change the oil, filter, and final drive. Valves are done at 26K mile intervals.
- Good solid design - There's no one thing that consistently breaks on these bikes.
- Lots of aftermarket support. I have a Givi v46 trunk - there are probably a half dozen mounting options - Zumo, heated grips, two windshields, etc.

What I would change:
- Too many problems. The bike has had two service campaigns (instrument cluster and fuel computer) and one recall (ignition switch) since new. Briefly stranded me on the road once, but managed to limp it home (and promptly schedule ignition switch recall work!)
- Engine is extremely smooth up to ~75MPH, but then picks up some buzz.
- Fueling isn't up to par for the class. Other bikes have smoother throttle pickup and don't surge as much. Newer model years seem to be better in this regard.
- Less weight would be better. Hasn't caused me any difficulties, but some folks complain.

Compared to the Councours (I haven't ridden a Concours, these are anecdotal based on talking to folks, sitting on the bike, etc.)
- Concours doesn't manage heat as well.
- Concours has smoother engine, more top end punch but less low-mid power.
- Concours appears to be higher specification, e.g. engine has VVT, fancy rear suspension, etc. but doesn't ride any better on the road for it.
- Ergonomics on the Concours are just a bit more aggressive.
- Routine maintenance tasks much more difficult/expensive on the Concours.
- Both bikes will eat tires. They are heavy and powerful, but run on sportbike sized rubber. Expect 4K-10K miles per tire set, depending on what you buy and how you ride.

I bought the FJR because the Concours didn't really exist at the time. It was present at the moto shows, but you couldn't sit on it, couldn't ride it, and didn't know the price or on-sale date. I discounted the Honda ST because it's more a mini-goldwing than a sport-tourer. The BMW GT appealed to me, but I didn't feel offered extra value to a low mileage rider like me for the extra cost.

You can't go wrong with either the FJR or Concours - they are far more alike than different. Buy whichever appeals to you. Kaw seems to have made some nice updates to the '10 Concours, the FJR hasn't changed (again).

Gratr write up, thanks!

Patrick
10-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Not that there is any bias on this site but http://lmgtfy.com/?q=C14+site%3Afjrforum.com :lol2:

Thanks for the link.

coryg
10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I'd wait and see what the new Honda VFR1200f is going score in reviews. Mike be a another good candidate.

pkiser
10-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Patrick,

I would be interested in reading your comments about both bikes from a mechanics/shop owners perspective. My next bike will be an FJR or Connie 14 and I have been leaning more towards the FJR because several friends have one and they have good things to say about the Yamaha.

pk

Janet
10-27-2009, 10:27 PM
I love mine. a year and a half old this month, 25,500 miles. :rider:

RedPill
10-28-2009, 03:25 PM
I love mine. a year and a half old this month, 25,500 miles. :rider:

You're putting some miles on that thing, Janet. :clap:

Hotboot
10-28-2009, 03:40 PM
They are both great bikes, I prefer the slightly lighter and a tad shorter 1st gen FJR. 39K on my '05 and I had to replace a tail bulb and glove compartment latch last week, no other issues.
For the best handling budget $1800 for an upgraded suspension, then you have a sportbike with bags and a shaft.

Wes
10-28-2009, 06:49 PM
I get great mileage on the C-14. I get 42-46 on the gauges which according to my calculation is usually in the 40s. I am a die hard Yamaha guy and I test rode both and the FJR wasn't as smooth or fun to ride.

The bikes are to close, the only way to make a choice is to do a test ride. If money is a problem you can get a used FJR for cheap. Just don't ever ride a C-14 and you will never know what your missing. I would have been happy on the FJR but I should have never taken that ride. It cost me a lot of money to buy a new bike versus a used one. :doh:

Graubart
10-28-2009, 08:42 PM
I've never ridden an FJR. I'm plenty happy with my C14. I could do without the Kipass crap though. :rolleyes:

chipset
10-28-2009, 11:52 PM
I know nothing of the C14..

But the FJR is easy to do all in the maintenance. For example, the oil filter is exposed, making it very easy to change the oil without removing the plastics.

It also has a plentiful aftermarket.

Wes
10-29-2009, 10:13 AM
The oil filter and easy maintenance is the same with a C-14. They really are too close, it comes down to asthetics and ergonomics. You need to test both. My only C-14 complaint was that ther was no ambient temp gauge until this year and the top case doesn't come keyed to the ignition like an FJR. Although that took me 20 minutes to fix.

*If you just pick one, never, ever, ride the other so you don't know what your missing. :lol2:

Janet
10-29-2009, 11:34 AM
You're putting some miles on that thing, Janet. :clap:

I'm tryin"....:rider:

Cruzintexas
10-29-2009, 12:11 PM
If you spend more time on the Ineterstate The connie probobly gets the nood!
The FJR will out handel the Connie in the twisties.
I have had a couple of 1000 mile days one up on the FJR and its easy.
I have had a couple of 750 plus 2 up on the FJR and it was easy.
Want to catch up with the local sport bikes in the tight stuff and the FJR will do it.
The connie is a little sluggish in the front end in tight stuff. Big fast sweepers and the connies rock!

They are both great bikes...

Rob919
10-31-2009, 12:42 AM
Man, this is alot to think about! I myself am trying to decide between a Bandit 1250 ABS, with a complete Givi hardcase setup vs the FJR vs the C14; although, I think I'm narrowing it down to the FJR vs the Bandit.

Valker
10-31-2009, 09:53 AM
2010 Concours roadtest: http://motorcycledaily.com/30october09_kawasaki2010concours14.htm

whitesands
11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
That was a very interesting article...Looks like they addressed alot of the former issues...

Skip Honeycutt
11-04-2009, 10:43 PM
You really can't go wrong. I could talk all day but really, that's the truth. I would be very happy on either.

busarider1
11-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Both are great bikes and my last experience on a connie was on an 07. It is a great bike. Incredible grunt and great brakes. I thought it was very comfortable and I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I really like the FJR as well. I haven't ridden a newer one though so I can't really make a comment on that.

tschreck
11-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Buy the C1400 !!!! Awesome bike with 3 year factory warr. No issues with over 15,000 miles now. It's a monster I tell you, a monster... :eek2:

cdc
01-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Here is a good review of an owner of both (06 FJR and 10 C14).
To sum it up, the new C14 is better than the FJR... (in his review), but I maintain my position regarding used bikes, the 06 and up FJR is a better option than a same year C14.

http://forum.concours.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=fnpghrrvqk7t9dc32tg7002t42&topic=64439.20

Plane Dr
01-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Interesting read. I am toying with going to one of these. It will likely be awhile yet. I still struggle with giving up the hooligan ways.....

Wes
01-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Any bike can cause hooligan behavior... My C-14, despite being an old man bike, still incites a certain amount of hooliganism.

one Wolf
01-26-2010, 06:35 PM
The Connie, ABS and traction control... if it had factory cruise control, it would be real close to perfect. I came this close to buying a new '08 Connie last summer. Now, I'm sure happy I waited.

hellcreep
01-27-2010, 10:01 PM
I love my 07 FJR.... however, if I were buying new today I'd get a '10 Concours.
If I was buying tomorrow the VFR would be looking nice.

Skip Honeycutt
01-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Coming from an owner of an 09 Concours, what hellcreep says makes sense... Again, I'd be happy on any of em.

hellcreep
02-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Adding an electronic cruise to any of these bikes is essential IMO if you're going to actually sport-tour. MCCruise makes some nice (but expensive) ones. If you're mechanically talented an Audiovox one can be adapted quite well. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the Audiovox to work right and went with an MCCruise.

Wes
02-26-2010, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't call it essential, maybe handy on occasions, it's only useful in my opinion when slabbing. But no one volunteers to ride the super slab except those IBA folks and they are a little bit unbalanced anyway. :lol2:

cdc
02-26-2010, 10:42 AM
I believe I've finally narrowed it down. I'm wanting a true sport touring bike with things like hard bags, shaft drive, etc.
Like the last thread I did on the Bandit / FZ1 comparison, I'm very familiar with both bikes mechanically, but I'm looking for input from owners of their likes and dislikes.
Thanks in advance!

Have you made up your mind yet?

Plane Dr
02-26-2010, 10:46 AM
I just saw the pictures of the new Super Tenere.

Not quite the same but definitely and interesting extension of the "adventure" bike segment.

I want 1 of each. Luckily the Tenere will likely never come here.

one Wolf
02-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Adding an electronic cruise to any of these bikes is essential IMO if you're going to actually sport-tour. MCCruise makes some nice (but expensive) ones. If you're mechanically talented an Audiovox one can be adapted quite well. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the Audiovox to work right and went with an MCCruise.

Did you put the MCC on your self. I did Audiovox on my 08 V Strom... It's great but installation was a pain and made me miss some good riding days.

macktruckturner
02-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Several thousand miles since I bought my FJR in July, and I've loved 'em all. I think it really all boils down to personal preference. Both are great motorcycles. Whichever one feels/looks best to you, is the one.

I'm about to start the farkle process on my FJR. Audio, heated grips, and possibly a cruise control (though I'll probably just opt for a throttle lock - I never use cruise, even cross-country in my truck).

hellcreep
02-26-2010, 02:12 PM
I had my mechanic do it - I was so frustrated with trying to get the loom to work that I was done. :) Glad you got the Audiovox to work!!!

I often have to interstate it to get to the areas I wanna twist in. Hence, the cruise is key for me. I don't regret it one bit!

JimNtexas
02-27-2010, 11:01 PM
I bought an FJR the day after Thanksgiving.

Prior to purchase I rented a Honda ST1300 and test drove an FJR at the Dallas IM Show. At that show I had a chance to ride a Concours but after sitting on it I declined. The Concours does not have an adjustable seat, so it is less friendly to us inseam challenged types than either the FJR or the ST.

The ST had a real heat issue that was immedately noticable even on a 70F day. The ST concentrated the heat right on your inner thighs, the FJR does a much better job of managing heat from the mighty 147 hp motor.

I considered the FJR recalls to be a very positive factor. They show that Yamaha will own up to problems and fix them, unlike some other makers who have a 'deny deny deny' approach to known problems with their bikes. The $389 (from D&H cycles in Alabama) factory extended warrenty shows that MamaYama has confidence that her bikes are not problem children.

I'm real happy with my FJR, as are the Concours owners I've chatted with from time to time.

The FJRs are of course much better looking. :lol2:

JimNtexas
02-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Adding an electronic cruise to any of these bikes is essential IMO if you're going to actually sport-tour. MCCruise makes some nice (but expensive) ones.

You can get an electronic cruise control installed for the FJR at Destination Cycles in Kerrville for around $800.

Inmate Bobkee can tell you about it.

I'm very tempted by this device, but for now I'm going with a throttlemiester mainly because there are so many many farkels I want to add. I used a crampbuster on my last bike, but my FJR is the AE model and I don't think a crampbuster is completely safe with that model. The FJR needs something to give your right hand a rest on the long trips that this bike is made for.

The main farkels I want are an MCL riser block (ordered, expected next week) and a topbox, which I will order as soon as I can sort through the million different topbox permutations and combinations that are possible with the FJR.

macktruckturner
02-27-2010, 11:59 PM
I've got the Givi V46 on my FJR (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44406). Just ordered some farkles (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=717832&postcount=32) for it.

JimNtexas
02-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I've got the Givi V46 on my FJR (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44406). Just ordered some farkles (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=717832&postcount=32) for it.

Thanks Mack, that's very helpful, I was wondering about the SW rack.

macktruckturner
02-28-2010, 12:30 AM
No problem, I went through the myriad of options too. Figured I'd show you with actual photos what the parts all look like for at least one of your options.

hellcreep
02-28-2010, 01:41 AM
I've got the ridiculously-huge E52 on mine and it looks out of place. However, I'm in it for the sporttouring. :P I cracked my grab-bars by overloading the bike on a camping trip and upgraded to the Givi grabs and have not had any problems since.

Jim: I have an AE as well. The MCCruise works great on it. I also agree re:FJR looks, especially with bags-off! I'm biased, though!

Re:

macktruckturner
02-28-2010, 01:56 AM
heh, I did my sport-touring on an SV650S before. The luggage capacity I have now dwarfs what I had then! For commuting to school things work perfectly, my riding suit fits in the topcase even with all the liners in when I park. Helmet in one side case, boots in the other. On the way there, my school bag, food, gym bag, shoes, and motorcycle cover take up some (but not all) of the luggage space. I've cable locked the helmet to the forks and left it on the tank a few times when I didn't feel like taking the gym bag out. Works out pretty well.

A1A
04-20-2010, 11:43 PM
I was wondering if you have to use premium high octane fuel with both the FJR & the C-14? Also can one expect to get low 40's MPG with both models as well. I'm considering going to one of these models in the near future. Getting to old and lazy to be doing all that chain maintenance every 600 miles on my Bandit.

:sun:

JimNtexas
04-20-2010, 11:55 PM
I was wondering if you have to use premium high octane fuel with both the FJR & the C-14? Also can one expect to get low 40's MPG with both models as well.

The FJR manual specifies a minimum of 86 octane gasoline. Mine runs fine on regular. I weigh about 250 and get around 45mpg. :rider:

A1A
04-21-2010, 12:14 AM
The FJR manual specifies a minimum of 86 octane gasoline. Mine runs fine on regular. I weigh about 250 and get around 45mpg. :rider:

Thanks for the quick response Jim. What year is your FJR my friend?

JimNtexas
04-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the quick response Jim. What year is your FJR my friend?

2008 'Advanced Edition', purchased new November 2009.

Here is the Huge FJR 'bin 'o facts' (http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8660)

A1A
04-21-2010, 12:47 AM
2008 'Advanced Edition', purchased new November 2009.

Here is the Huge FJR 'bin 'o facts' (http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8660)

Thanks again Jim.

Wes
04-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Now everyone knows my bias just based on my signature, but I think all things considered the FJR isn't that far off the C-14 but where it shines... The weight distribution. It's not nearly as top heavy as the C-14 and therfore is a little easier in corners. I noticed the glaring difference after riding an FJR a week or so back.

jcyuhn
04-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I was wondering if you have to use premium high octane fuel with both the FJR & the C-14? Also can one expect to get low 40's MPG with both models as well. I'm considering going to one of these models in the near future. Getting to old and lazy to be doing all that chain maintenance every 600 miles on my Bandit.

The FJR runs just fine on regular. I have a 2006 purchased new and have never put anything but regular in it - no problems.

Mileage ranges from 40MPG - 50MPG depending on speed, riding style, etc. This is with a stock ECU - add on fuel computers (e.g. power commander) can substantially reduce mileage. If you are getting less than 40MPG on a stock bike, you're probably going to be in jail soon. :lol2:

one Wolf
04-21-2010, 12:03 PM
So, Irving Kawi's site is saying $14,661.00 OTD for '10 ABS Connie.

Any metroplex Yamaha dealers close to that for '10 ABS FJR? I know Yamaha has some cash back promotions going.

A1A
05-06-2010, 11:26 PM
I read somewhere that the Yamaha FJR is a little buzzy in the 4,000 to 5000 rpm range. Can someone expand on this issue true or false? If true what did you do to correct it? Also what is the speed range in 5th gear for 4,000 to 5000 rpm?

hellcreep
05-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Mine has no flat spot in the 5-600 range. It has been dyno'd, though. I never noticed one previous to that. My map is reading 131hp on the rear wheel.

In the 4-5k range I'm at 90-100mph in 5th.

-Hellcreep

JimNtexas
05-06-2010, 11:47 PM
I read somewhere that the Yamaha FJR is a little buzzy in the 4,000 to 5000 rpm range. Can someone expand on this issue true or false? If true what did you do to correct it? Also what is the speed range in 5th gear for 4,000 to 5000 rpm?

I find my 08AE to be very smooth at all rpms. Only slightly less smooth (but way more powerful) than the ST1300 I recently rented at highway speeds.

At 4000 rpm in 5th I'm going about 73-75 mph on my gps. At 5000 mph I'm scared.

A1A
05-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks guys for your responses. I would have been concerned if the FJR had a buzzy vibration. Which was felt through the handlebar at freeway speeds. I'm still doing my research, but I'm leaning toward the FJR. I'll have to get a deal I can't refuse though from a dealer. I'm saving my money waiting for that deal.

jcyuhn
05-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Yes, I find this to be true on my 2006. Many FJR riders over on the FJR forum have noted the same. Of course, "buzzy" is subjective - it's noticeable, but not irritating.

It is glassy smooth between 3,000-4,000RPM in top gear. As noted earlier, 4,000 RPM in top gear gets you into the 70MPH range (actual - speedo generally reads higher). In an odd way, I like it. If the engine is smooth, you're below speeding ticket range. If the buzz is there, beware.

Keeping the throttle body sync dead on minimizes the buzz.

- JimY

A1A
05-08-2010, 08:47 AM
jcyuhn,
Thanks for the information! In any event is the buzz intolerable between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm? I'm not a nit picker and do understand there is some vibration from any motor at different rpm ranges. Even my Bandit has a noticable increase in buzz in that very same rpm range. But its not unbearable or intolerable, just noticable enough to know its there.

:patriot:

Tesla
05-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Loving my 07 FJR. Came from a V-Strom 650 so I thought that I would be giving up much nimbleness. Much to my surprise, the FJR thinks its a 400 lb bike. Ironically parking lot maneuvers feel better despite its greater heft. Be forewarned though, the Yammy is not a happy camper with worn out tires.

I've read that 2010 C-14 has corrected all its flaws over its predecessors. If I was in the market for a new bike, it would be this one.

JimNtexas
05-08-2010, 10:02 AM
The FJR has pretty hard grips, a lot of people install grip puppies. Perhaps this is what the people who complain about buzziness are saying.

The other quirk is the that throttle return spring is very strong. I put on a
throttlemiester, a lot of people unwind a turn on this spring.

I am certain that starting in 2008 the throttle mechanism was adjusted to make the response more smooth and linear. The FJR's motor reminds of the J-79 jet engine in the F-4. :rider:

jrflanne
05-08-2010, 10:13 AM
I saw a FJR in New Braunfels last weekend. Turbocharged and was said to be very fast. A sano setup for sure.

Janet
05-08-2010, 08:36 PM
I am certain that starting in 2008 the throttle mechanism was adjusted to make the response more smooth and linear.

Correct.

(Correct on the :rider: too! ;) )

A1A
05-23-2010, 09:56 AM
I was wondering about the FJR 1300 and the Pros & Cons of the (AE) model verses the (A) version? I'm hoping you FJR folks will help me make a decision between which of the two to get.

hellcreep
05-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I have the AE and I occasionally miss the clutch. More often, though, I appreciate paddleshifting. It is great in mountain twisties, traffic and long trips- primarily because it saves hand fatigue.

My advice is to go with whatever you find the best deal on. Both the A & AE are great bikes.

--hellcreep

cdc
05-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm very happy with the AE and do not miss the clutch.
Check the fjrforum.com for lengthy discussions …

JimNtexas
05-23-2010, 10:57 PM
They are both terrific bikes. I like my Advanced Edition a lot, and don't miss the clutch at all. The computer controlled clutch does introduce a (uncommon) failure mode that the ordinary model doesn't have. I like the standard heated grips on the AE.

The AE list price is higher than the ordinary FJR, but in reality they often sell for the same or a bit less.

I don't think it is possible to get more bike for your money than an FJR.

A1A
05-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks hellcreep, cdc & Jim,

I guess I'm just to old school because I'm leaning towards the FJR 1300A. I'm looking at a 2010 (A) model beautiful silver. In addition a left over 2009 (AE) in the dark graphite or black. The 2010 is 300.00 dollars cheaper. I have several irons in the fire and waiting for the deal I can't refuse.

Janet
05-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Black is beautiful, but I would have to go with the A, myself. No particular reason other than working the clutch is part of the game. I guess I'm kind of a purest.

A1A
06-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I want to say thank you to all the fine people on this wonderful site. In addition to all the folks who helped me with my new bike decision on this thread.
Today is the day I brought home my new 2010 Liquid Silver Yamaha 1300A motorcycle. I will miss the Bandit, but I'm looking forward to a long and happy relationship with the FJR.

:rider::flip:

Janet
06-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I want to say thank you to all the fine people on this wonderful site. In addition to all the folks who helped me with my new bike decision on this thread.
Today is the day I brought home my new 2010 Liquid Silver Yamaha 1300A motorcycle. I will miss the Bandit, but I'm looking forward to a long and happy relationship with the FJR.

:clap::clap::clap:

ceddec
06-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Congratulations sir. You have made a wise choice IMHO. :thumb: Now go ride and try not to grin too much.

A1A
06-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks Janet & ceddec!

I have to get frame sliders because there is a lot of expensive plastic on this bike. Anybody have any recommendation on who's frame sliders to get? What year did the Gen 2 FJR start?

:rider:

ceddec
06-01-2010, 10:21 PM
The gen 2 started 2006. Frame sliders are all over the place. Might check Premiercycles or ebay. When you put them on, remember tighten left side (clutch) first and then right to about 29 ft lbs or so. You can search the FJR forum via google and find everything you ever wanted to know and more. I waited about 7 months before I got frame sliders. Guess what happened. Day I got them on, I did a perfect zero speed drop in a front wheel braking gravel washout. Guess what happened, nothing. Glad I had them on there. Enjoy!

cdc
06-01-2010, 11:19 PM

Congratulations!
Enjoy a fantastic bike, (even with clutch :) )

JimNtexas
06-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Congratulations! :sun::mrgreen:

jcyuhn
06-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks Janet & ceddec!

I have to get frame sliders because there is a lot of expensive plastic on this bike. Anybody have any recommendation on who's frame sliders to get? What year did the Gen 2 FJR start?

There are a bunch of brands available. Installation is super easy on the genII FJR. Not sure there is really any difference between different brands. I have Motovation on my 2006. I haven't tested them (knock on wood...), so can't comment on their effectiveness. But they haven't fallen apart or anything. I think I picked up the bike 4 years ago today. Imagine that, keeping a bike 4 whole years.... :rofl:

JimNtexas
06-02-2010, 10:32 AM
I have Motorcycle Larry sliders (http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=156) on my FJR.

Wes
06-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Congrats. You will enjoy that bike for years to come. Hard bags are the greatest invention ever!

Top Cat
06-03-2010, 09:24 PM
I traded my Bandit 1200S for a 2007 FJR-A last September. I had the Bandit for 6 years and was very fond of it, however I didn't miss it more than a minute after the trade. FJR is a wonderful bike. I have added the Yamaha trunk, back rest and Yamaha heated grips. All easy mods, but a bit pricey.

A1A
06-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Bought my first FARKLE for my FJR today. I just had to have a throttle CrampBuster. It sure makes life easier on the throttle hand and I may not even need a Cruise Control now.
I'm still trying to get some frame sliders. But don't see them advertised for the 2010 FJR. I'm thinking as long as it says Gen 2, they will fit the 2010 model, correct?
Do the FJR handlebars come from the Dealer fitted in the middle position? Just curious, I probably won't have to adjust them anyway.
I'm real happy with the stock windshield and can't understand. Why some folks would even want to change the shield.
I'll definitly have to change out the stock seat though, way to hard for me. My butt got spoiled by the Sargent seat I had on the Bandit. Looking forward to the weekend to get some miles logged and get the motor broken in.

Ride Safe Y'all!

macktruckturner
07-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Just updating to chime in with a little more FJR love. I've had it for about a year now, I'll go out and figure out how many miles I've actually put on it. Some number less than I should have, but school has consumed much of my riding-for-pleasure time lately. I just love this bike. Love. It.

I still have some farkles sitting in boxes that I need to install, but I'll get around to all of that at some point.

Morgan Buchanan
07-04-2010, 08:16 AM
I love my Concours 14, absolutely love it. I didn't fit on the FJR as well as the Concours. I found the seating position not as good for me. Which is to say, they're both FANTASTIC bikes. Each has some oddities that leave the bikes imperfect, but are far from condemning. One can not go wrong with either.

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/morgan/connie/100_2050s.jpg

A1A
07-04-2010, 09:02 AM
I have to say I agree that both bikes are top notch. But the FJR fit me better. In addition I liked the lighter color and the fact you use 87 octane fuel with the FJR. I'm also in the farkling stage. Which fine tunes the bike to ones preference.

macktruckturner
07-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Also agree that they're both fantastic bikes, one day I'll have to ride a Concours!

JimNtexas
07-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I think that 'fit' would be a major reason to pick one over the other. As I mentioned, the FJR is short person friendly compared to the Connie.

On the other hand a person with long legs might be fine with the fixed seat height on the Connie, and might find the peg position of the FJR to be a bit cramped on a long ride.

hellcreep
07-23-2010, 12:43 AM
I like the Shinto religion of the Yamaha executive team over the Kawasaki's throwback animism... just kidding.

Morgan Buchanan
07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I KNEW you were into anamism....

Lakeabilene
07-28-2010, 12:22 PM
These two bikes are very similar, but I would put a priority on having a good dealer to back up the three year warranty on the Kawa. In my area, several Kawa dealers have shut down their business over the last year. Now I have to go 30 miles to a dealer, and I am having difficulty getting warranty work done there, they just sat on my bike for 6 weeks and did nothing. Calls to Kawa in Calif. did not help, they never call you back, and one of the guys there, Mark, is a real piece of work. If you live in a metro area with several dealers, that's good. If you are stuck with few/no dealers, it becomes a deal breaker for me. For a 15,000 dollar motorcycle, be sure you have a dealer that backs up the warranty and can do the EXPENSIVE valve adjustments. And I don't mean the ones where the stealership mech says they were all in spec. Which is typical. I mean the real adjustment, where you have to wait a week for shims to come in because the dealer doesn't stock half sizes.

If you would rather do all your own mech work, then buy a used one and save a bundle. Typically the Kawa goes for about two thousand less than the FJR. And it has a 6 speed trans, slipper clutch, upside down forks, and more power.

Wes
07-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't trust dealers. Do your own work and the proximity to a dealer becomes unimportant. Besides parts and consumables can be bought online cheaper. Valve adjustments aren't that bad. There is even a series of videos on how to do all the work on the C-14.

ST/SV
07-28-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't trust dealers. Do your own work and the proximity to a dealer becomes unimportant. Besides parts and consumables can be bought online cheaper. Valve adjustments aren't that bad. There is even a series of videos on how to do all the work on the C-14.I bought my son some of those videos for Christmas a couple years ago, He does his valves and after our "Trippin Connies" part 2 trip my Connie is in his garage and he is doing mine now. :clap:

Luckily I have a mechanic.

Wes
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I have had to many run in's with bad mechanics. Nobody touches my bike if I can avoid it. Last time I couldn't avoid it the tire pressure sensor on the C-14 was broken off. Guess how much that cost. :doh:

ekms377
07-31-2010, 10:09 PM
I am actually contemplating a Connie. I had an FJR. Loved it. It got 40+ mpg all day long even just going to work and in traffic. It had its pros and cons like all bikes do. I am just wanting to try out something different this time.

FJRHank
12-20-2010, 05:14 AM

So... this is an old thread. But as an FJR owner and having read what A1A's concerns were, thought I would share some experience directly related to his post above.

After having read a suggestion on the FJR forum about eliminating the buzziness, gave it a go... with great results.

It seems really that people ride their fjr's like they were cruisers, and they don't get broken in properly. So to heck with the gas mileage (for awhile anyway) and started riding in the 4k and above range.

That meant being in 2nd at 45 or so. Or being in 3rd at 65 or so. Yup, not good on the gas. But run that engine up and down in the rev's, up to the top and back, same gear, the buzziness starts to disappear.

It's taken maybe riding this way 1k miles, which makes sense as it's being broken in differently now. One gets use to using the full rev range (or close to it) very quickly. And wow does that motor spin up in a hurry! Incredible!

So I'd remind, these bikes are performance bikes, not cruisers ;)

enjoy,

this is a pic of my 08, awesome ride, just luv it. But that's not to say the others aren't great rides too, of course they are!

http://bythebluesea.com/Yamaha/small3.jpg

A1A
12-20-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't know if its because my engine is broken in or that I got use to this bike. Anyway I'm a happy camper and don't notice any buzz or vibration. I have done the MCL riser replacement though.

FJRHank
12-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't know if its because my engine is broken in or that I got use to this bike. Anyway I'm a happy camper and don't notice any buzz or vibration. I have done the MCL riser replacement though.

Hey very kewl Richard. I too am a happy owner. Don't have risers myself, kind of prefer the leaned over in the twisties aspect.

enjoy!

HeUeR
12-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I have an FJR and here's what I have learned...the FJR is not quite as quick, but still scarey. It gets better fuel mileage, is almost an inch shorter, is much easier to work on, not quite as smooth as the Connie though on throttle control. I LOVE both but IF I were to choose between 2011...the Connie would be my choice. But I'd be happy with either.

Vic CC rider
12-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I love my Concours 14, absolutely love it. I didn't fit on the FJR as well as the Concours. I found the seating position not as good for me. Which is to say, they're both FANTASTIC bikes. Each has some oddities that leave the bikes imperfect, but are far from condemning. One can not go wrong with either.

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/morgan/connie/100_2050s.jpg

Nice!!! I don't really care about the controversy, I just love the color of this bike.

cdc
12-25-2010, 07:43 PM
After having read a suggestion on the FJR forum about eliminating the buzziness, gave it a go... with great results.

FJRHank:
Do you mind sharing your findings about eliminating the buzzing?
BTW, nice looking bike!

Camilo D.

FJRHank
12-25-2010, 08:59 PM
FJRHank:
Do you mind sharing your findings about eliminating the buzzing?
BTW, nice looking bike!

Camilo D.

You bet Camilo, don't mind at all.

As mentioned, it's basically keeping the bike in the rev range that seems to buzz, for a period of time. Actually, since starting doing it, 80% of the time I've cruised at about 4 or 5 k rpm. So instead of cruising in 4th or 5th, you'll be in third. Instead of 4th, you're in 2nd.

It really loosens up the engine. And tends to break it in more properly at those higher revs. After awhile, cruising in 3rd at these higher revs, you don't even notice any buzziness.

I like to ride on 407 near Justin. Before I'd shift to 4th after the tighter corners. Now I just stay in 3rd the whole time. Might slow to 35 or 40 entry speed, then go up to 75 or so in the straight. No need to shift.

Basically, just wring out the engine, let it breathe in the higher revs. Not good on gas, but they really are performance engines and I don't think they can really perform if they don't at least get broken in properly at these higher rev ranges.

Another thing I've noticed besides less buzz is that the engine "spins up" more easily now. There's no "hesitation", it just runs up to red line without issue... very quickly.

As said, I think of it now as just getting properly broken in :)

Hope that is clear, if not let me know. Enjoy,

cdc
12-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the information FJRHank.

Hotboot
12-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Hank is right on, if you want to lope around at 2K these bikes will do it but the preferred rpm range is much higher. Throttle control is also much more precise at 5-8000 on both Connie and FJR, I set up corners early and use less brake on a heavier bike. The rev limiter comes on too fast but these engines are cammed and tuned for low end gruntamonkiss.
I get some buzz on the '05 FJR @ 5100rpm or so but that's 85-90 in top gear,
4K is 70 and smooth as butter with no PC3, a set of throttlemeisters seemed to help too.

I4's like rpm so break them in at and ride in the powerband.

TECH51
02-16-2011, 10:58 PM
You guys that have a 14 Concours Do you all like them a lot? I went and picked up some parts for the DRZ and the owner let me take this out for a test ride. I fell in love with it. Just don't know enough about them.

http://www.cycleridersatx.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=07392084X2K16K2011J9I48 I33JPMQ5286R0&veh=54311&pov=1533486

TombstoneRider
02-16-2011, 11:07 PM
You guys that have a 14 Concours Do you all like them a lot? I went and picked up some parts for the DRZ and the owner let me take this out for a test ride. I fell in love with it. Just don't know enough about them.

http://www.cycleridersatx.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=07392084X2K16K2011J9I48 I33JPMQ5286R0&veh=54311&pov=1533486

I don't like mine at all. I Love it. I find myself forgetting that it is a Sport TOUR not just a sport bike. One of my best purchases.

Downs
02-16-2011, 11:17 PM
IMO you really can't go wrong with either bike. Just go sit on both or if possible ride both and pick which one you like better. My only gripe with the C14 having not rode one yet is the Kipass system thing.

Tesla
02-16-2011, 11:33 PM
I've heard about the buzzing on the FJR but never experienced it thus far on my 07. Complaints about the heavy clutch and throttle have not affected me either. Based on what I've read about the newest generation C-14, that will be my next bike but that will be a couple of years down the road when I can get a good deal on a used one. The only quibble I have with the FJR is I'd like to be sitting more upright like I was on the V-Strom.

Downs
02-17-2011, 01:15 AM
I've heard about the buzzing on the FJR but never experienced it thus far on my 07. Complaints about the heavy clutch and throttle have not affected me either. Based on what I've read about the newest generation C-14, that will be my next bike but that will be a couple of years down the road when I can get a good deal on a used one. The only quibble I have with the FJR is I'd like to be sitting more upright like I was on the V-Strom.

Agreed. I already have a set of risers on the bike but might actually put on another set and I think I'd be about perfect.:rider:

FJRHank
02-17-2011, 07:15 AM

My understanding is the 08 and newer have changes to the throttle (maybe clutch too not sure). Mine is very smooth.

Did have some buzzing around 4k rpm but have gotten that smoothed out by riding for extended periods in that range. Seems it just needed to be broken in more.

And in the "to ea their own" category :) I like the fjr seating position. Not tall here at all, but prefer the lean forward especially in the twisty roads :)

Anyway, they are both good bikes, can't really go wrong with either. It's sooooo much an individual thing.

EdSidders
02-22-2011, 01:24 AM
I just went from a 79 Vetter dressed kz1000st to a 07 FJR with 6K miles..

30 + years of motorcycle progress is AMAZING !!!!!!!!

Rode it home this afternoon , about 75 miles..First impression----doesn't feel as heavy as my old Kawa , needs more windshield , less throttle spring , handlebar risers....Has more than enough power to use on the street in stock form:clap:. I have the factory tailbox and between it and the bags (like the liners) and luggage/bag on the back seat I can see a good solo camping bike for the Ozarks or where ever.:sun::rider::eat::sun: Ed

Skeezix
02-22-2011, 02:32 AM
I've done two Kawasaki Demo days and two Yamaha demo days. The Connie was a nice bike, but I felt it was more touring, while the FJR was more sport. For someone who needs a bike for multiple roles, the FJR is hard to beat. That said, it is getting a little long in the tooth. I do not know if Yamaha plans to update it or not, but you can get a 2008 model that (other than color) is basically identical to a 2011 for half the price. I looked for a low mileage 2008 FJR for 6 months and finally gave up. Last week I put a deposit on a Yamaha Super Tenere.

JimNtexas
02-22-2011, 10:37 AM
When I was shopping for a Sport Touring bike a year and half ago I test rode both the Concours and FJR at the Dallas IMS. The Kawasaki with its one piece seat was just too tall for me, and I wasn't impressed with that keyless thing. I rented an ST1300 that same weekend, I like the bike, its very short person friendly, but even on a fall day it was very hot and was pretty wide, it felt like riding a hippopotamus.

I like the 2010 FJR I rode better except that I didn't enjoy the very stiff clutch. I wound up finding a new 2008 FJR-AE for thousands off of list, and have been very happy with it.

Niether the FJR I tested nor the one I purchased have any noticable buzz, and both have very tame and predictable throttles.

A friend with an FJR AE with only a few more miles than mine just got bitten by the black widow spider, if you have an FJR the spider is going to get you sooner or latter. You can fix it before it bites, or after, take your pick.

All three of these bikes are terrific, buy the one that fits your budget, body, and soul.

EdSidders
02-22-2011, 02:05 PM

A friend with an FJR AE with only a few more miles than mine just got bitten by the black widow spider, if you have an FJR the spider is going to get you sooner or latter. You can fix it before it bites, or after, take your pick.

All three of these bikes are terrific, buy the one that fits your budget, body, and soul.

Jim
Please explain the Black Widow Spider thing....Thanks Ed

JimNtexas
02-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Jim
Please explain the Black Widow Spider thing....Thanks Ed

The FJR 'Black Widow Spider' refers to several little plastic 'spider' connectors in the Gen 2 wiring harness. For some crazy reason Yamaha choose to run up to six ground wires into these connectors with one wire out. Devices running through these connectors includes high current systems such as the fans and lights. Because these connectors are small little ten cent affairs, after some amount of time they start to fry, sometimes they melt altogether, but usually they just sort of blacken and loosen up.

The various sensors and computers in the FJR need good clean grounds to work correctly. If one or more of these spider connectors starts to fry then it can cause computer insanity, which can manifest its self in different ways, from the biking just suddenly dying to the instrument panel going nuts, to the bike running rough or being hard or impossible to start.

There are a couple of fixes for this problem, they all involve diverting the ground runs from the high current devices directly to ground rather than running them through these spider connectors.

In my case I have a 'plug-n-play' wiring harness made by member RoadRunner on the FJR forum that accomplishes these diversions without requiring any wire cuts, taps, or splices.

It's really sad that Yamaha hasn't fixed this problem, because this is really the only common sudden failure mode of the bike. Once this problem is addressed many FJR owners drive well past 100,000 miles with no significant reliability issues.

I kept telling myself I'd put the fix in during the winter, but never got around to it. The thought of removing all that plastic is a little intimidating to me I admit.

But now that winter is over here in Austin I've just got to take a weekend and get this done.

EdSidders
02-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Jim
Thanks for the detailed reply ,,,,,I'll make it a point to look for these bugs and squish them anytime I have a panel loose....I havn't had any of the panels off yet...Too pretty a day not to ride a little......Grounds seem to be the most neglected part in vehicle electrical systems although that is the only way to complete a circut...If it were not such a **** I would install a good ground bus and eliminate some ground loop problems...Darn bean counters just want it out the door.....Thanks again for the info! Ed

SpayNeuter2
04-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Hello All,

Wanted to give my OPINION on this very important debate. It could save someone thousands - as it cost me thousands to experiment with the Bandit, ST1300, FJR and C-14 - I am now back to a 1250 bandit - but when I am ready for another sport tourer I will be buying a '10 or later C-14.

you can find all the details and reasons the C-14 is better than the FJR on several different Concours message boards.

I will just say that I have owned 30+ bikes in 30+ years riding. I have NEVER found a better all around bike than the C-14. The only issue with the '08 was the heat - which in the summer in south Florida was an issue. that supposedly has been fixed on the 2010.

I have only a 29" inseam so the stock seat is a tad tall. I used the low kawasaki seat and it was fine.

I know everyone says find the bike that fits you best- but I felt the difference between the '08 FJR, ST1300 and C-14 was like the difference between a Kia and a Lexus.

I have no loyalty to any brand in particular but do yourself a favor and don't buy before giving the c-14 a chance.

Tesla
04-07-2011, 05:45 PM
you can find all the details and reasons the C-14 is better than the FJR on several different Concours message boards.

That's odd. On the FJR forums they say that the FJR is better. :lol2:

You may be right about the 2010's and newer. From the reviews I've read its a big improvement for 2010. Yamaha seems to be complacent with making any significant changes to the FJR. Hopefully Kawasaki will hurt FJR sales and Yamaha will get the message.

JimNtexas
04-07-2011, 06:02 PM
I also have a 29" inseam, and it only took one test ride of the C14 to convince me that i didn't fit that bike. I didn't know Kawasaki offered a low seat option. In this one respect, the FJR and ST1300, with their height adjustable seats may have an advantage.

The ST1300 has the lowest seat by a noticeable margin, but after renting one for a November weekend I found the heat to be just too much for me.

TombstoneRider
04-07-2011, 06:04 PM
That's odd. On the FJR forums they say that the FJR is better. :lol2:

You may be right about the 2010's and newer. From the reviews I've read its a big improvement for 2010. Yamaha seems to be complacent with making any significant changes to the FJR. Hopefully Kawasaki will hurt FJR sales and Yamaha will get the message.

Yea, but the FJR Forums are wrong and anyone who tells you any different is a liar. :trust:

Tesla
04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
The ST1300 has the lowest seat by a noticeable margin, but after renting one for a November weekend I found the heat to be just too much for me.

How so?

By the way, I installed the Brody harness fix for the spiders which I hear is a more difficult install than Road Runner's. I am no mechanic but was able to install it without too much cussing. Install the harness, the peace of mind is priceless

Yea, but the FJR Forums are wrong and anyone who tells you any different is a liar. :trust:

Only the Connie guys call us liars :rider: Did you buy your 09 new?

TombstoneRider
04-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Only the Connie guys call us liars :rider: Did you buy your 09 new?

yea, last Sept when they were running all the deals on them so they could get out the 2010. It is awesome :rider:

vulcanraven
04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Here's my 2 pennies. All sport tourers are compromises. All of them either lean towards the sport side or the tour side. For me, I ABSOLUTELY love my Blackbird and it's leaning to the sport side. With 1" lowered pegs, (needed for me on all bikes) Helibars and a Corbin seat, I've dealt with the touring short comings. That said, get the bike you like for the reasons you want and enjoy the heck out of it!

FJRHank
04-07-2011, 09:12 PM
One thing that might be helpful to those reading this thread...

It's okay to have an opinion, actually, I'd be worried about anyone that didn't have one...

but, it takes more then "believe me, it's great" to sway a buying decision. Personally, I don't even know you, why would I risk 10k+ buckeroo's because you said it's great?

What really would be helpful to those trying to make decisions would be things like "how do they compare"... Is one better at such and such then the other(s)?

that type of unbiased (as much as can be), is what will help people with multi thousand of dollar decisions...

at least it does to me!

Morgan Buchanan
04-07-2011, 10:19 PM
My opinion is that a vast majority of people who post opinions on forums like this advise to do whatever it was they themselves did. I truly think that this is often done to help them validate their own decision. LoL. Of course most of the people asking advice have mostly decided what they want to do and are just cherry picking for opinions that validate THAT desire.

Just my experience. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJRHank
04-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Think you're right Morgan... so... maybe we should say some people are looking for help to make intelligent buying decisions and others are just looking for emotional support for a decision they already made...

can we make people indicate which person they are at the beginning of their posts... would cut down on the reading time... ;)

Morgan Buchanan
04-08-2011, 06:32 AM
No kidding. :D Not nearly as much fun, tho. Really, the real questions are whether to use synthetic or dino oil, or if you can safely darkside a sport tour bike.... :D

dwoodall
04-15-2011, 08:48 PM
I don't have any input for you relative to those two bike, but wanted to say thanks for asking the question since I have been pondering this myself. I am thoroughly in the cruise control is a must have camp. The two bikes I ride regularly have it and I could imagine not having it. It is a bit hard to fathom that neither of these bikes have it. It doesn't take much to add it, especially if you have ATC and ABS already. All I would add it that before I bought a sport tourer these days I would certainly take a look at the new BMW K1600 (not the LT version) or even the R1200RT. They are considerably pricier, but it have a lot more stock stuff than either of these. I ride the BMW on chilly days because of the heated grips and seat. Makes a world difference to me. Just something to think about.

Doug

Exevious
02-20-2012, 11:07 PM
New to the forum, but thought I would add my input into the FJR.

The best!!

I say this because you get the best of ALL worlds of sport and touring.
The FJR just looks great when stripped down, and handles great on the twisties or the track.

Mine is a 05 model. It does give off some heat. This sucks during Texas summers, But is great.... I say its great, cause before my FJR I did not enjoy riding below 50 degrees. NOW I can and Will ride in ANY temp, as long as there is no ice on the ground.

Here are some pics in dressed and undressed form:

Thought I had more online pics dressed down... guess I will need to take more. Any way.... the FJR is one sexy beast dressed or not. None of the other bikes can claim this.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/garageSept2011018.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/garagefall2011004.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/garagefall2011006.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/MeFelmeyOliveBranch2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/MeFelmeyOliveBranch.jpg