• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FJR vs 14 Concours

Reaction score
I believe I've finally narrowed it down. I'm wanting a true sport touring bike with things like hard bags, shaft drive, etc.
Like the last thread I did on the Bandit / FZ1 comparison, I'm very familiar with both bikes mechanically, but I'm looking for input from owners of their likes and dislikes.
Thanks in advance!

There are two correct answers to your question.

1) The FJR is the best bike ever built. It does everything well, has excellent looks, comfort, power, gas mileage, handling, and reliability.

2) The Concours 14 is the best bike ever built. It does everything well, has excellent looks, comfort, power, gas mileage, handling, and reliability.

I joke, but all too often that is where these threads end up. Seriously though, my only two gripes about my FJR are the smallish side bags, and the extra heavy throttle return spring. The cases are all rounded and pretty, which translates into less usable space inside than it looks like they should have. The locking and hanging mechanisms protrude into the interiors to keep the sexy shape on the outside.

I hear that the 08 and newer come with a lighter spring in the throttle, so that gripe may have been fixed by Yamaha.

I am happy with the power, handling, comfort, and reliability of my FJR.

Have you tried asking this question at the fjrforum? :rofl:

OK, seriously. I have a 2006 model, have put about 15K miles on it thus far. Overall it is a great bike. For commuting, touring, and sport-touring it does everything well. It is comfortable for eating miles, it is fun to fling through twisty roads, it will carry a passenger passably well, hard bags and (optional) trunk provide lots 'o storage.

What I like:
- Strong and flexible real world engine power - good grunt down low, good pull up high.
- Good handling, reasonable brakes, reasonable suspension pieces.
- Good comfort - I'm a lanky 6' tall, and it fits like a standard UJM. Smaller folks have some reach to the bars and usually install risers. Stock saddle is decent, all things considered.
- Good compromise between weather protection and airflow - Less protection than, for example, a BMW RT - but it's more comfortable in warm weather as a result.
- Good heat management for a 1.3 liter bike.
- Easy and inexpensive maintenance. Zero disassembly required to change the oil, filter, and final drive. Valves are done at 26K mile intervals.
- Good solid design - There's no one thing that consistently breaks on these bikes.
- Lots of aftermarket support. I have a Givi v46 trunk - there are probably a half dozen mounting options - Zumo, heated grips, two windshields, etc.

What I would change:
- Too many problems. The bike has had two service campaigns (instrument cluster and fuel computer) and one recall (ignition switch) since new. Briefly stranded me on the road once, but managed to limp it home (and promptly schedule ignition switch recall work!)
- Engine is extremely smooth up to ~75MPH, but then picks up some buzz.
- Fueling isn't up to par for the class. Other bikes have smoother throttle pickup and don't surge as much. Newer model years seem to be better in this regard.
- Less weight would be better. Hasn't caused me any difficulties, but some folks complain.

Compared to the Councours (I haven't ridden a Concours, these are anecdotal based on talking to folks, sitting on the bike, etc.)
- Concours doesn't manage heat as well.
- Concours has smoother engine, more top end punch but less low-mid power.
- Concours appears to be higher specification, e.g. engine has VVT, fancy rear suspension, etc. but doesn't ride any better on the road for it.
- Ergonomics on the Concours are just a bit more aggressive.
- Routine maintenance tasks much more difficult/expensive on the Concours.
- Both bikes will eat tires. They are heavy and powerful, but run on sportbike sized rubber. Expect 4K-10K miles per tire set, depending on what you buy and how you ride.

I bought the FJR because the Concours didn't really exist at the time. It was present at the moto shows, but you couldn't sit on it, couldn't ride it, and didn't know the price or on-sale date. I discounted the Honda ST because it's more a mini-goldwing than a sport-tourer. The BMW GT appealed to me, but I didn't feel offered extra value to a low mileage rider like me for the extra cost.

You can't go wrong with either the FJR or Concours - they are far more alike than different. Buy whichever appeals to you. Kaw seems to have made some nice updates to the '10 Concours, the FJR hasn't changed (again).

A guy at my work has a C14 right now and has had a FJR in the past.....he said he likes the C14 but it doesn't get the MPG that his FJR got.
I would like to try a C14 as I have had a FJR as well....which got 40+ mpg all day long even in traffic.

Have you tried asking this question at the fjrforum? :rofl:

OK, seriously. I have a 2006 model, have put about 15K miles on it thus far. Overall it is a great bike. For commuting, touring, and sport-touring it does everything well. It is comfortable for eating miles, it is fun to fling through twisty roads, it will carry a passenger passably well, hard bags and (optional) trunk provide lots 'o storage.

What I like:
- Strong and flexible real world engine power - good grunt down low, good pull up high.
- Good handling, reasonable brakes, reasonable suspension pieces.
- Good comfort - I'm a lanky 6' tall, and it fits like a standard UJM. Smaller folks have some reach to the bars and usually install risers. Stock saddle is decent, all things considered.
- Good compromise between weather protection and airflow - Less protection than, for example, a BMW RT - but it's more comfortable in warm weather as a result.
- Good heat management for a 1.3 liter bike.
- Easy and inexpensive maintenance. Zero disassembly required to change the oil, filter, and final drive. Valves are done at 26K mile intervals.
- Good solid design - There's no one thing that consistently breaks on these bikes.
- Lots of aftermarket support. I have a Givi v46 trunk - there are probably a half dozen mounting options - Zumo, heated grips, two windshields, etc.

What I would change:
- Too many problems. The bike has had two service campaigns (instrument cluster and fuel computer) and one recall (ignition switch) since new. Briefly stranded me on the road once, but managed to limp it home (and promptly schedule ignition switch recall work!)
- Engine is extremely smooth up to ~75MPH, but then picks up some buzz.
- Fueling isn't up to par for the class. Other bikes have smoother throttle pickup and don't surge as much. Newer model years seem to be better in this regard.
- Less weight would be better. Hasn't caused me any difficulties, but some folks complain.

Compared to the Councours (I haven't ridden a Concours, these are anecdotal based on talking to folks, sitting on the bike, etc.)
- Concours doesn't manage heat as well.
- Concours has smoother engine, more top end punch but less low-mid power.
- Concours appears to be higher specification, e.g. engine has VVT, fancy rear suspension, etc. but doesn't ride any better on the road for it.
- Ergonomics on the Concours are just a bit more aggressive.
- Routine maintenance tasks much more difficult/expensive on the Concours.
- Both bikes will eat tires. They are heavy and powerful, but run on sportbike sized rubber. Expect 4K-10K miles per tire set, depending on what you buy and how you ride.

I bought the FJR because the Concours didn't really exist at the time. It was present at the moto shows, but you couldn't sit on it, couldn't ride it, and didn't know the price or on-sale date. I discounted the Honda ST because it's more a mini-goldwing than a sport-tourer. The BMW GT appealed to me, but I didn't feel offered extra value to a low mileage rider like me for the extra cost.

You can't go wrong with either the FJR or Concours - they are far more alike than different. Buy whichever appeals to you. Kaw seems to have made some nice updates to the '10 Concours, the FJR hasn't changed (again).

Gratr write up, thanks!

I'd wait and see what the new Honda VFR1200f is going score in reviews. Mike be a another good candidate.

Patrick,

I would be interested in reading your comments about both bikes from a mechanics/shop owners perspective. My next bike will be an FJR or Connie 14 and I have been leaning more towards the FJR because several friends have one and they have good things to say about the Yamaha.

pk

They are both great bikes, I prefer the slightly lighter and a tad shorter 1st gen FJR. 39K on my '05 and I had to replace a tail bulb and glove compartment latch last week, no other issues.
For the best handling budget $1800 for an upgraded suspension, then you have a sportbike with bags and a shaft.

I get great mileage on the C-14. I get 42-46 on the gauges which according to my calculation is usually in the 40s. I am a die hard Yamaha guy and I test rode both and the FJR wasn't as smooth or fun to ride.

The bikes are to close, the only way to make a choice is to do a test ride. If money is a problem you can get a used FJR for cheap. Just don't ever ride a C-14 and you will never know what your missing. I would have been happy on the FJR but I should have never taken that ride. It cost me a lot of money to buy a new bike versus a used one. :doh:

I've never ridden an FJR. I'm plenty happy with my C14. I could do without the Kipass crap though. :rolleyes:

I know nothing of the C14..

But the FJR is easy to do all in the maintenance. For example, the oil filter is exposed, making it very easy to change the oil without removing the plastics.

It also has a plentiful aftermarket.

The oil filter and easy maintenance is the same with a C-14. They really are too close, it comes down to asthetics and ergonomics. You need to test both. My only C-14 complaint was that ther was no ambient temp gauge until this year and the top case doesn't come keyed to the ignition like an FJR. Although that took me 20 minutes to fix.

*If you just pick one, never, ever, ride the other so you don't know what your missing. :lol2:

If you spend more time on the Ineterstate The connie probobly gets the nood!
The FJR will out handel the Connie in the twisties.
I have had a couple of 1000 mile days one up on the FJR and its easy.
I have had a couple of 750 plus 2 up on the FJR and it was easy.
Want to catch up with the local sport bikes in the tight stuff and the FJR will do it.
The connie is a little sluggish in the front end in tight stuff. Big fast sweepers and the connies rock!

They are both great bikes...

Man, this is alot to think about! I myself am trying to decide between a Bandit 1250 ABS, with a complete Givi hardcase setup vs the FJR vs the C14; although, I think I'm narrowing it down to the FJR vs the Bandit.

That was a very interesting article...Looks like they addressed alot of the former issues...

Both are great bikes and my last experience on a connie was on an 07. It is a great bike. Incredible grunt and great brakes. I thought it was very comfortable and I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I really like the FJR as well. I haven't ridden a newer one though so I can't really make a comment on that.

Back