• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Waterproof Boot?

leekellerking

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Last Name
King
:doh:I am looking for a new pair of waterproof books. My Vega Nitros just don't do it any more (i.e., they leak like a sieve) and I'd like something a bit better.

So, what are some good waterproof touring/commuting boots for someone on a budget?

Just looking around, I see the following in my general price and style

range:

Teknic Defender ($116 at Motorcycle Superstore)

2009_Teknic_Defender_Waterproof_Boots_Black.jpg

Joe Rocket Meteor (New Enough has the best price I've seen, btw, at $109)

2007_Joe_Rocket_Meteor_Boots_Black.jpg

Tourmaster Solution ($116.99 at New Enough and Motorcycle Superstore)

2006_Tour_Master_Solution_WP_Road_Boot_Black.jpg

Joe Rocket Sonic ($125 .99 at Motorcycle Superstore)

2007_Joe_Rocket_Sonic_Boots_Black.jpg

Alpinestars Ridge ($129.95 at Motorcycle Superstore)

2009_Alpinestars_Ridge_Waterproof_Boot_Black.jpg

Or I could just get another pair of Venoms for about half the bucks ($69.99 vs. $116 to $130), but they sure are HOT when it isn't cold outside.

2008_Vega_Touring_Boots_Black.jpg

What you y'all think?

Lee
(Broke, but not poor)

I'd bet money on the Tourmasters. Don't expect exceptional venting in any of the truly waterproof boots though.

I've got a like new pair of Kochmann Assen boots in 45 Euro (11 US) if anyone can use them. They don't import them any more, and all I can find is the info for the ladies version, but they look the same and have the same specs:

http://www.streetbikereview.com/sbr_guides/LadiesBoots/SBR_KochAssenBoot.html

I have had two pairs of the TM Solutions and really did like them. Switched over to the Oxtars when they were super-discounted and love these too, but not sure I could ever spend $250 for a pair of boots (new TCX-branded replacement cost) so I'll probably either see about re-soleing my first pair of Solutions or get another set of them. All-day comfort, decent looking for wearing with jeans/khakis at work, and waterproof. Only down side is that, like tires, the sole is a softer compound that has great grip but wears out too quickly. The leather loosened up enough over time that a second pair of socks in the winter or a thick insole/insert in the summer helped snug them up some.

I've been through this decision just recently myself, and opted for the Tourmaster Solutions. They seem to have the biggest bang for the buck, like most Tourmaster gear.

Interestingly, I'm also coming from a pair of the Nitros, which always kept my feet dry, but were really hot in the summer, and the leather tabs that cover the top of the zipper tore at the seams on both sides. They also had no ankle protection of any kind. You get what you pay for.

My Tourmasters should arrive in the next day or two.

Well, the Tourmasters arrived today; I only ordered them Wednesday....

IN the pictures, they look so similar to the Nitro's that I figured they'd be pretty much the same, with some ankle armor tacked on. I couldn't have been more wrong. These are very well constructed, fit much better than the nitro's, and the leather is much thicker. These will take some breaking in. I'm pleased with the purchase.

Well, after riding in the recent deluges in Dallas I bought a pair of cowboy-style leather work boots (ie - no laceups) and hit 'em with lots of Sno-seal - a beeswax based waterproofing compound for leather. I know they aren't as insulated or armored as true motorcycle boots, but the $50 price tag made it easy - and that's what smart-wool socks are for. I may have to hit some of the seams around the sole with goop (they are cheap work boots) but they work so far.

The Teknics are junk.

The Tourmasters are fair, the Alpinestars work well but some models have a narrow footbed.

I've no experience with the Venoms.

Any of the Joe Rockets work well and fit pretty well.

Several local Houston shops have them in stock at that price plus you can try them on.

Another brand to consider are the Sidi's, but they may be outside of your price range.

I'm so cheap I re-use ear plugs but I had to cry uncle on cheap boots. :giveup:

My summer boots are TCX Air-Tech and in winter I wear Sidi On Roads. Both are worth every penny.

If your old boots are just leaky and in good shape otherwise you might want to try this.

:rider:

I like the Aplinestars. I have an old pair of their Web Goretex boots and they've been great. a little higher that the ones on your post, but thumbs up for the AS boots. Probably couldn't go wrong with Sidi either.

I carry these in my saddlebags along with my TourMeister Defender rain suit. Keep my boots dry in the worst rain.

My vote is for going to Academy and buying some side-zip Bates boots. They have a better tread pattern than any motorcycle boot, they really are waterproof, they tie up tighter than the velco of most of the budget MC type boots, and they are still plenty padded around the ankles for when you go tumbling down the pavement.

I used to have the Astars waterproof boot that used to be around $140 before they jacked the price to $249. Now that I've got my Bates boots, I don't see how they can charge that much for a boot that only cinches up with a tiny zipper, and some velcro that wears out. Never again, will I buy a specific "motorcycle" boot. For my money there are just much better alternatives in the regular person section that work just as well, or better.

I ride in my Doc Martes. I have some steel toe pull ons that would keep my feet dry, unless it was a downour and I was wearing jeans, then they'd fill up from the top.
They even suvived a low speed low side (steel toe saved my toes) and I still wear them. More comfortable for walking than any moto specific boot I've worn. My lace up Docs are great too, though I haven't rain or crash tested them.
I say if you have walking to do when you get to wear you're going, look for some good leather boots, but not nessissarily "riding" boots.

I will say I had some Sidi Vertigo bots for doing track days, and they were great if I was only riding, they totally sucked to walk in.
And I LOVE my alpine star tech 8 off road boots (ebay special :thumb:)

The Teknics are junk.

The Tourmasters are fair, the Alpinestars work well but some models have a narrow footbed.

I've no experience with the Venoms.

Any of the Joe Rockets work well and fit pretty well.

Several local Houston shops have them in stock at that price plus you can try them on.

Another brand to consider are the Sidi's, but they may be outside of your price range.

+1 sidi's rock. I have had several pair and they are good boots

And the Kochmann's that Kurt gave me make good snow boots, too!

14536_1307827097634_1289278330_897876_3290079_n.jpg

Thanks, Kurt.

Lee
(Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada)

I haven't had good luck with boots at all. My Sidi's leak like a sieve and my Bates are worse!

Back