• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dummy needs help.....

Fittysom'n

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Torque of the header bolts that snug the flange/pipes to the head.....?

And I took the radiator off, dumping and catching the coolant. Now I gotta get it back in there!?!? All that I can find is the over-fill tube under the seat, and that pretty much maxed out with coolant after a few cups.
So I started the bike with the hope of opening the thermostat, that didn't seem to help.
I called a buddy who suggested the same..... this time I let it idle until the fan came on (more quickly than I have EVER heard it kick in), but that seemed to make no difference either.
I don't have a manual to refer to, and I want to buy one (you wouldn't BELIEVE what the Suzi' dealership told me).

Help somebody!

1) I've already torqued my bolts down, possibly too much but at least they're all torqued to the same value. What was I SUPPOSED to have tightened them down to?

2) How do I get all the coolant back into my bike???

Thanks in advance,
-= Pat =-

Fitty, here you go.

Don't forget to fill the recovery tank if it is also empty or low.

Engine coolant capacity (excluding reservoir)
3 000 ml (3.2/2.6 US/lmp qt)

Air Bleeding From the Cooling Circuit
1) Support the motorcycle upright with the center stand.
2) Lift up the fuel tank by removing the mounting bolts.
3) Place a rag under the thermostat connector.
4) Pour engine coolant up to the thermostat connector
inlet.
5) Slowly swing the motorcycle, right and left, to bleed
the air trapped in the cooling circuit.
6) Add engine coolant up to the thermostat connector
inlet.
7) Start up the engine and bleed air from the thermostat
connector inlet completely.
8) Add engine coolant up to the thermostat connector
inlet.
9) Repeat the 6), 7) procedures until no air bleeds from
the thermostat connector inlet.
10) Close the radiator cap securely.
11) After warming up and cooling down the engine
several times, add the engine coolant up to the full
level of the reservoir.
12) Reinstall the removed parts.

Thank you Mr. Bandito Dude!

Sounds a little labor intensive and time consuming, but it's gotta be done.

I'll wait until morning before tackling it, but does anybody know the torque of the header bolts???

WooHOO!
I hand tightened the header bolts, then tightened them to 15.5 ft.lb's, but some were still (hand tightened) to more than 16; so I bumped the torque wrench up to 17 ft.lb's and torqued 'em all down. Cool, good guess.

Adding the coolant was a mess.... Leaning the bike, burping, swishing, splashing, and adding the coolant. Firing up the bike up with the gas tank balancing nicely on a 2x4, warming the engine, (too much) coolant boiling over, adding, burping/swishing/splashing again, and again..... I think it's all good though.

I bought the modified header system from "bluebandit"; he cut the CAT' cut off the header, pipe welded in place, necked down to meet the muffler mid-pipe, and then he had it all ceramic coated.

My impressions for the various steps of mods are as follows:

1) Least expensive: 1 1/2" hole drilled in air box lid, snorkel in or out, OEM air filter, slip-on muffler. Works really well!
2) If ya have the money: The Holeshot Stage I with K&N, TFI, modded air box lid, slip-on muffler. Peace of mind knowing that your air/fuel ratio is right.
3) Interestingly....: Holeshot Stage II. However it's "drive-ability" is MUCH improved with the back pressure of a DB killer inserted at the end of the after-market muffler.
4) Sweeet marriage of mods! Holeshot Stage II with custom header sans CAT', i.e. Holeshot 4-2-1 SS header. Nice smooooth delievery of power; seems just as strong off idle, through mid-range, all the way right up to red line. In a word, 'WOW!'.... but in a gentlemanly sort-a-way.

Just curious, when you say IE holeshot 4-2-1 I assume its not actually a holeshot but a stocker modified correct? If so were the header flange port openings made larger? That seems to be where most of the air exhaust restriction is before it even gets to the cat from what I understand.
Or were you just stating IE some form of aftermarket header as a mod?

Also out of curiosity does ceramic coating add weight?and Pics?

sounds like she's real happy now
:clap:

Yes.... "bluebandit" mod'ed his factory header system, did it with the help of some seriously qualified folk/craftsmen. He kinda "paid if forward" by selling it to me for next to nothing, wants me to do the same when I do what he's doing. He's installing a Holeshot header; it's tuned, lightweight stainless steel, and maybe the ID is larger too.....

I presume 'bluebandit' must have smoothed the flange port openings of his customized OEM header, as they were trimmed and smoothed for little (if any) air exhaust restriction.

The silver ceramic coating is rather remarkable, 'caues it can almost be mistaken for chrome! I wouldn't know if it adds weight or not, but I can tell you that the weight difference between his customized header sans CAT', and my header system with the CAT' in place, is four pounds. My factory header is heavier.

Pics? I financed a new computer a couple days ago, still learning Windows 7..... but you can bet I'll post some images when I figure this thing out. I've also gotta get out there and clean all the coolant stains off the engine cases and collector.
Seems to run pretty good, looking forward to getting out there for an extended spin this weekend.

Yes.... "bluebandit" mod'ed his factory header system, did it with the help of some seriously qualified folk/craftsmen. He kinda "paid if forward" by selling it to me for next to nothing, wants me to do the same when I do what he's doing. He's installing a Holeshot header; it's tuned, lightweight stainless steel, and maybe the ID is larger too.....

I presume 'bluebandit' must have smoothed the flange port openings of his customized OEM header, as they were trimmed and smoothed for little (if any) air exhaust restriction.

The silver ceramic coating is rather remarkable, 'caues it can almost be mistaken for chrome! I wouldn't know if it adds weight or not, but I can tell you that the weight difference between his customized header sans CAT', and my header system with the CAT' in place, is four pounds. My factory header is heavier.

Pics? I financed a new computer a couple days ago, still learning Windows 7..... but you can bet I'll post some images when I figure this thing out. I've also gotta get out there and clean all the coolant stains off the engine cases and collector.
Seems to run pretty good, looking forward to getting out there for an extended spin this weekend.
Cool. yeh unmodified the stock header is a pig.

Back