• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

South TX road food

Reaction score
I'm flying into San Antonio next week to hit the Werstfest in New Braunfels with some buddies there and then heading out to Terlingua to cook in the International Championship. I need some help. I'm bringing my wife this year and we'll be looking for some good places to eat along the way. Any tips for cool restaurants and bars between SA and Terlingua??

Ernies in Tarpley, Texas. Amazing food from a small shack.
Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia, Texas. Good breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Have a good trip.

Mi Tierras downtown San Antone...Awesome Tex-Mex and bakery in the Mercado. Catch it off hour or you will wait a while.

Well... which way are you headed to Terlingua? Are you going out of SA on 90 West to Del Rio...along the border? Out I-10 then down? or a more "scenic" route?

Let's start there.

If you're not sure, then ask how long of a drive are you looking to have (time wise). All three of these offer "something", but time will determine how far off the path you may be able to go.

In New Braunfels you can get great food at the Huisache Grill or Myrons for an upscale
steak night, McAdoos seafood for Canjun style,Friesenhaus for real authentic German food, Father and son are German Chefs and the mother is a german pastry chef:eat: Coopers BBQ is in town now if you are in the mood for Q
of course you have the Grist Mill in Gruene which is a cool palce to spend the
afternoon and while she shops you can hang out in Gruene Hall or Mozies bar on the corner and watch the crowds stroll by

I live in the neibhorhood just above Wurstfest, called home tonight and
my wife said you can already hear the bands playing from the back porch

Ahh Wurstfest our 10 day salute to sausage and cold beer:eat:

Dont know if you have rooms yet or not but the Faust Hotel is a great place to stay its right downtown priced like the chains and has its own micro brewery

Where in Indiana? I am in Kokomo tonight finishing up some testing at Delphi and fly out tomorrow myself

I say stop at Rudy's BBQ
and pretty much any hole in the wall mexican resturaunt in SA

In New Braunfels you can get great food at the Huisache Grill or Myrons for an upscale
steak night, McAdoos seafood for Canjun style,Friesenhaus for real authentic German food, Father and son are German Chefs and the mother is a german pastry chef:eat: Coopers BBQ is in town now if you are in the mood for Q
of course you have the Grist Mill in Gruene which is a cool palce to spend the
afternoon and while she shops you can hang out in Gruene Hall or Mozies bar on the corner and watch the crowds stroll by

I live in the neibhorhood just above Wurstfest, called home tonight and
my wife said you can already hear the bands playing from the back porch

Ahh Wurstfest our 10 day salute to sausage and cold beer:eat:

Dont know if you have rooms yet or not but the Faust Hotel is a great place to stay its right downtown priced like the chains and has its own micro brewery

Where in Indiana? I am in Kokomo tonight finishing up some testing at Delphi and fly out tomorrow myself

I'm in Westfield on the northside of Indy.

Actually one of the guys I'm going to see in NB is the new owner of the Faust Hotel. We grew up in the same small IN town.

Not sure which route we'll take. I've been on I-10 a few times before, so, maybe take 90 this time. Need to check the drive time though. Gotta be in Alpine at a certain time. Thanks for all of the tips so far.

For the best German food and atmosphere in the great San Antonio are (just east of New Braunfels), make it lunch or dinner at Oma's Hous.

I'm in Westfield on the northside of Indy.

Actually one of the guys I'm going to see in NB is the new owner of the Faust Hotel. We grew up in the same small IN town.

Not sure which route we'll take. I've been on I-10 a few times before, so, maybe take 90 this time. Need to check the drive time though. Gotta be in Alpine at a certain time. Thanks for all of the tips so far.

Cool that is a great Hotel, I get all the reps I work with to stay there when
they come to town. If you have time go down the street and check out
AF1 Racing the will let you demo a Aprillia if you have time.

You really need to go Downtown and try Freisenhaus it makes Oma's
feel like a Waffle House in comparison.

I spent several years in West Germany and have a pretty good idea of what German food should be like. Found the BEST German restaurant on the continent in Edmonton, Alberta.

I will give Freisenhaus a try next time I'm over there.

Freisenhaus is greatness. You might want to stop by AF1 and test ride their Mana. It's a really fun bike.

If you were coming down this way, I'd just take you to the dives we've got. The Grist Mill in Gruene is good for Chicken Fried Steak, and their pecan pie is good too. Podna's in San Antonio off of Old Austin hHghway is really good cajun food. Chester's is usually a good burger choice, as is Chris Madrid's.

I spent several years in West Germany and have a pretty good idea of what German food should be like. Found the BEST German restaurant on the continent in Edmonton, Alberta.

I will give Freisenhaus a try next time I'm over there.

I think you will like it, a former co worker that was from Bohn( think I spelled that right) really felt it was just like home. But he really like the steak
house as he said that they do not have good steak houses over there.

I think you will like it, a former co worker that was from Bohn( think I spelled that right) really felt it was just like home. But he really like the steak
house as he said that they do not have good steak houses over there.

Having eaten "steak" in several European countries, I would agree with your German friend. I can no longer donate blood because I was in the Army in Europe during the early 80s and some of our beef came from England (continental beef was fed fish and it wreaked!) - and though their beef was far better tasting, a very small percentage developed mad cow. So Denny Crane and I have something in common. :rofl:

Mi Tierras downtown San Antone...Awesome Tex-Mex and bakery in the Mercado. Catch it off hour or you will wait a while.

+1

must go there when you visit San Antonio. This place invented Tex-Mex....and they NEVER close.

I like the Monterrey Special
Cabrito — tender young Goat baked to perfection. Served with Guacamole, Cheese Enchilada, Spanish Rice and Refried Beans.

Margarita

http://www.mitierracafe.com/default.html

:eat:

Man, you guys are making me hungry. Love all of the feedback on this.

I recall seeing a place that I thought was west of SA somewhere that was on the food channel. Great little hole in the wall out in the middle of nowhere. Ring a bell with anyone??

After checking out our trip, I think we're going out 90 and back on I-10, so, hopefully we'll get to check out a few of each.

yep that was Mac and Ernies in Tarpley it was on Diners Drive Inns and Dives a while back

Back