• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

F800ST or Honda Interceptor?

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Currently riding an SV650 and I love it. Upon returning from Iraq I plan to give this to my wife and upgrade in size to a sport touring or another standard so we can ride together. I really like the F800ST, but not the price tag (or the stupid "destination fee"). If I get a sport touring I'm thinking BMW F800ST or Honda Interceptor.

I hate to move away from naked bikes, but there's just not that many it seems. If I were to get a standard, I really like the BMW R1200R (the K1200R is unavailable in the US unfortunately. :-(

Anybody have any thoughts?

Triumph Tiger 1050, best of luck to you in your search. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.:rider:

I've been told, that my VFR isn't the most comfortable bike to ride on back of. I don't think it is the most uncomfortable, just that there are far better choices for two up riding especially for long distances.

I never thought about a Triumph. I'll definitely look at those.

We don't plan on riding on the same bike so the rear seat is pretty much a non-issue. If she does ride on the back, it would be for a short distance. In the year we've had this bike, we've only ridden two up once I think.

A TWTer -- dutchinterceptor -- rebuilt a VFR and has it for sale here at a stupidly low price because he now has two.

If you decide on a VFR and want to go the used route, dutch is a prince of a guy and you'd not be making a mistake.

The FZ1 is really nice. I really like naked bikes, and the FZ1 is half-faired which is the best of both world. mostly naked looks with a windshield for protection. I also happen to have one for sale too :-) lemme know if you are interested

Do you have access to back issues of Cycle World? CW did a great back-to-back comparison write-up on the F800ST and the Interceptor in the September, 2007 issue.

Thanks for your service to our country. Good riding to you on whatever you decide to get.

Yamaha makes a nice naked bike (FZ1), and used Honda 919s can be found as well.

Would I be out of line suggesting an '06 or later FJR? Not that I'm biased or anything. They are pretty cheap these days.

I've got an '02 VFR800. I've got the full OEM luggage and have done several long trips. A couple of those were 2-up.
I have been very pleased with the bike overall. I've had a few issues with mine, but they seem to be not too common or fixed in the newer model bikes.

I've never even sat an a F800ST so I can't compare them.

If you're looking in that size, don't forget the Triumph Sprint ST. Its the VFR, but with ~300cc more oomph.

If you're ever in the DFW area and are still looking, give me a shout and you can take mine for a spin.

Thanks for your service :patriot:

I was not a fan of the BMW when I was looking It just didn't have the get up and go that the trumpit or the VFR had.

Sprint ST 955 or 1050
VFR
XX (way way way way more power)
older busa (way way way way way more power)

some without plastic
z rex
fz1
honda 919

The VFR has been known as the "perfect motorcycle" for many years. It's cited as having the best blend of performance, balance, and comfort. It just hasn't been updated in a few years while new bikes have gotten bigger, specialized, and more powerful.

Still, not many bikes approach the overall balance of the VFR. Many used bikes to choose. I would imagine the Honda is better in most ways over the Beemer.

I own a 2006 VFR with oem saddlebags and I've ridden the BMW on a short demo ride. I'd sum it up with, "If you want more 'sport', get a VFR. If you want more 'tour', get the BMW" but I've still ridden my VFR on long, multi-day cross country trips and had no worries at all. That's basically what this article says if I remember correctly:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-out...f800st-vs-honda-vfr800-interceptor-86719.html

Here's a good F800ST writeup by a VFR owner on Advrider:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218631

And I find it interesting that with the F800ST, BMW sort of tried to move into the VFR domain (mid-size sport touring), but now the new VFR1200F is going to try to move into the K1200/1300 domain!

Great articles. Thanks for the info.

I plan on commuting on this bike daily, with long rides a few times a month. Seems like the F800 is the way to go (so far)...the gas mileage on the BMW was much higher as stated in one review. That's weighed pretty heavily in my mind.

Still torn, I plan on checking out Honda today. I just got back from a trip into New Mexico where I checked out the limited amount of Triumphs and BMWs that are available in W Texas and New Mexico. It definitely reaffirmed my like of the BMW. The Triumphs were appealing, but there was only one Triple displayed. Like I said, not a lot of these bikes in Albuquerque, Sante Fe, or El Paso. :-(

I know there will be a million varieties, but for MY bike, a 2006 with the OEM saddlebags, AND the taller European touring screen, I only get about 39-40 in mixed riding, but out on the freeway running 70-75 mph, I get 47-48 mpg. The Euro-screen surely helps as before that the best I usually got was 43-45.

I understand the model availability. I'm in Houston so there's most dealers SOMEWHERE and I liked the Sprint ST as well. But that dealer is a 40 minute drive whereas Honda is 10 minutes so that factored in!

Good luck in your quest! :)

I went from an SV to a Triumph Street Triple. Great upgrade. If you want something a little larger, check out the Triumph Speed Triple. Great bikes!

I always wanted those to come stateside and now that they have, the exchange rate is so bad, the price is outrageous especially since they haven't done any new R&D on it. I'd like to ride one at the cycle show though. They call it dullsville and the Accord of cycles and that is just fine by me.
$7995 sounds right to me +$500 for ABS but Honda didn't ask my opinion. :lol2:

I really want to like the F800ST and I sat on one with the low seat but I just don't like the tank or control levers for some reason.

Welcome home Sir and Thank you for your service....:clap: :clap: :clap:
I had FZ6 before and upgrade to Aprilia Futura..Great sport touring but not for heavy traffic commute...any 1000cc bike is heavy...Not fun at all..
VFR, ST1050, Futura & Duc ST are great for upgrade from 600 if you love spending hours in saddle over the weekend without getting tired...
Good luck

I liked the Triumph bikes I checked out the other day. I guess my main concern for those is the availability of dealers, parts, etc. I hear they're great bikes though. I did notice the different handlebars/riding position with the VFR. Not uncomfortable or too aggressive, just different.

I appreciate everyones thoughts, I'll do a lot of thinking over the next year (I leave in a few days). My brother Chris (former TWT) has accepted the great and terrible burden of window shopping for me while I'm gone. I know I'm in good hands.

Thanks again.

I liked the Triumph bikes I checked out the other day. I guess my main concern for those is the availability of dealers, parts, etc. I hear they're great bikes though. I did notice the different handlebars/riding position with the VFR. Not uncomfortable or too aggressive, just different.
I put a pair of Helibars on my VFR and have since put over 1300mi on it in a 23hrs period. I find the position to be comfortable for rather long stretches :trust:
I appreciate everyones thoughts, I'll do a lot of thinking over the next year (I leave in a few days). My brother Chris (former TWT) has accepted the great and terrible burden of window shopping for me while I'm gone. I know I'm in good hands.

Thanks again.
I wondered if you were related to wczimmerman. :thumb:

I know of no one that has had availability of parts. The only one I have ever needed in 28000 miles was a saddle bag and it got at no cost to me under warranty even being 4 months out of warranty

I know of a few guys that had a gremlin and no one could figure out what was up with the bike but I also know a R1 and two R6 and a few gixers that have them two

BTW my dealer is over 40 miles away and the shop that works on my bike is 50. I just do not see why that would be a problem

Back