• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Power loss issue - help!!

Reaction score
Hi from New Zealand, you have a great forum here. Firstly, I am not very mechanically minded, enough knowledge to be dangerous, but there seems a wealth of knowledge here that I'd like to tap into.
Problem - 6 weeks ago I put my 2007 Bandit 1250SA K7 in to the workshop for a routine service AND for the installation of a pair of heated grips (yep, getting old!). The bike has about 7,000 miles on it, in great condition.
I rode home after the service, about 20 miles in rush hour traffic with no problems, a slow ride. Two days later, riding two up, about 20 minutes into the ride and going abit quicker, I started to get power loss when I got over 3,000RPM (about 65mph). It felt like a fuel blockage, but ran OK at lower revs.
To cut a long story short, the problem got worse the further I rode, to the point where after an hour I lost most revs and speed maxed out at 35mph! Ran OK when cold, got progressively worse as I rode. Catalytic convertor glowing red too. They naturally disconnected the heated grips, didnt help.
It has been in the shop since with no resolution yet. No fault found on the bike computor, although I found out today they have yet to put the diagnostic tool on it (have to borrow one!) They changed a temperature coolant sensor as they found a power drop and thought it was running rich, but no solution there.
Does anyone have any thoughts I can pass on to this workshop, who by the way have a very good reputation and have done good work in the past.
Many thanks
MartyNZ

Hi Marty

Fellow K8 rider from Wellington. What you describe sounds consistent with overheating. The workshop manual lists:

[*]Not enough oil in the engine. Add oil.
[*]Defective oil pump or clogged oil circuit. Replace or clean.
[*]Use of incorrect engine oil. Change.
[*]Sucking air from intake pipe. Retighten or replace.
[*]Defective cooling system.
[*]Lean fuel/air mixture
[*]Short-circuited IAP sensor/lead wire. Repair or replace.
[*]Short-circuited IAT sensor/lead wire. Repair or replace.
[*]Sucking air from intake pipe joint. Repair or replace.
[*]Defective fuel injector. Replace.
[*]Defective ECT sensor. Replace.
[*]Ignition timing too advanced due to defective timing advance system (ECT
[*]sensor, CKP sensor, GP sensor and ECM.) Replace.
[*]Drive chain is too tight. Adjust.
[*]ISC bad learning. Reset learned value.

I can't see the grips having anything to do with it unless a sensor lead was knocked off etc. What did they say they did regarding servicing?

I hope this helps!

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Nothing remarkable about the service, and they have checked everything according to the manual and the dealer setting on the bike. No fault found as yet.
Other advice ex Japan suggested fuel issue, so they're going back to very basics again.
Here's hoping

Since nobody else from this side of Texas has said it, Welcome to the site from a member of the Harley Contingent! :rider:

Since nobody else from this side of Texas has said it, Welcome to the site from a member of the Harley Contingent! :rider:

The list did not include a pinched or plugged fuel vent tube. I have seen this problem more than once after a dealer service. They were trying to make everything tidy and tyrapped the vent line to the frame. Enough air got by for low speed but higher rpms need more fuel.

Just a thought.

Good luck. Nothing worse than a scoot not functioning properly.

Ron

Welcome aboard, albeit with bad news! Hope your gal gets repaired post haste so you can enjoy her!

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome.
First thing I looked at was the fuel line as thats what the symptoms told me but no joy there, they're now looking at fuel vacuum pressure, maybe some dirt in the line/filter as well, the saga continues.
Coming up to our summer down here so looking forward to having a fully functioning machine sometime very soon!
Have posted a couple of pics as requested.
Enjoying the site, would like to get back to the US and do some serious riding, closest I got to you guys was Arizona about 10 years back
Regards
Marty

This may not help but:

Upon lifting my gas tank, mucking around under it a bit, putting a rag around & under the coolant fill..... all this to pour/burp/add/get the air out of my coolant, etc., to my radiator,

I fired the bike up only for it to run P O O R L Y ?!?!

What did I do????

Happenstance, luck, a detailed gander, and more luck.....I found a solitary wire/wannabe plug-in, hovering mid air with no place to go. Further inspection revealed a possibility, as there was a plug that looked like it may have had a tiny receptical for a second wire to go.... maybe(??!)

I got some needle-nose pliers and grabbed the wire with it's little rubber boot on it, forced it into the empty receptical of a plug (which already had one wire plugged into a neighboring receptical), and VOILA!.... the bike ran smoothly!!!

I don't like how easily such a seemingly cheezy connection could come undone and how easily it was forced back into place. Take your gas tank off and look for any single wires with a tiny wannebe rubber boot on it that is hovering mid-air looking for a place to be plugged in.......

It worked for me!
And there is NO WAY I should have been able to catch/find/discover/happen onto this tiny wire that came unplugged.... I must have been in good graces with the Suzuki God/Godess that evening. Thank you Nature Divas, Gods & Godess', "Personal Thought Adjusters", Guardian Angel(s), or whomever, whatever came to my aid! I BELIEVE!

Fitty: I bet it happened when you adjusted your chain on the center stand! :giveup::eek2:

Well people, pleased to say that problem solved (I hope).
Fuel pressure regulator was found stuck in the closed position. This is a valve that opens when the bike warms up, to divert excess fuel back into the tank and away from the injectors. By staying closed it caused the bike to run rich after about 15 minutes running, causing a power loss. They managed to open it up and get it working again, and bike now running as normal. Not wanting to risk a repeat fault, now waiting on the replacement part to arrive, and hopefully riding again this weekend! Hoorah...

MartyNZ
Thanks so very much for that update. We will all learn from it. I would of never though of that problem.

The "Catalytic convertor glowing red too" was the clue that too much fuel was going thru the engine.
I suspect they found that loose wire Fitty found.

If it glows red again, don't park it over dry grass

Back