• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's a good 2 Person Tent

Mountain Hardware Lightwedge 3 is a darn good one.

I use a 3 person tent for my MC camping because if it's raining I can still have enough room to keep everything inside and spread out to dry for the next day.

I have the Grand Mesa as my small tent. It packs nicely on the bike. My bigger tent for longer stays is a Kelty Gunnison 4.1 One huge difference in design is the GM has a single door at the end, and one small vestibule. The Gunny series all have two doors on the sides and two vestibules, each of which have more space than the GM. If I were doing it all over myself I would spend the extra coin for the Gunnison 2.1 The side door access makes life easier.

Having said that, these tents are secure in winds, comfortable in cold, and with the vents built into the fly they prevent condensation from forming between the tent body and the fly.

I think a good two person tent is my 6 man Eureka!. My 4 man Eureka! is just a tad tiny for me and my son to share.:giveup:

I have an REI Half Dome Plus tent. It's a 2-person tent and is extremely well made and has never leaked a drop of water (knock on wood). It has a very nice rain fly with a vestebule to keep your boots, etc. dry but outside the tent. There are a lot of little nice touches on this tent that aren't apparent until you actually use it. I don't know what they call it now (mine is several years old).

If you're anywhere remotely near an REI, swing by there and try them out. the REI-brand tents, and everything else, is of very good quality and usually saves you a fair bit over high-end names.

I have a Kelty Vortex 2. They quit making in several years ago, but I love mine. Plenty of room for me and my stuff. Gets pretty crowded if you put two people in it though.
Mine is a 3.5 season tent. Full rain fly that creates a vestibule on each side plenty large enough to put boots and even a backpack if its not fully packed.

Eureka is a good brand and I looked at the Apex before I bought my Vortex. The lack of a full-coverage fly on the Apex is what drove me away from it.

My favorite two person is the 35' toy hauler with A/C, heat ,and a genset, with hot shower, the bike packs neatly inside with room to spare.

My Kelty Teton 2 has served me well since purchasing it in Spring 2008. Looks to be very comparable to the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 in size and price. I just wanted something that went up superfast and freestanding with me inside it to weight it down just in case I didn't have time to stake it down.

If it were for two people I would say go with the Eureka simply because of the two doors. But if you are going for just you then the larger vestible with more usable space on the Grand Mesa would sway my vote.

Two doors are really nice even for just one person. One door/vestibule for your gear to stay dry. And one door that remains unobstructed for midnight excursions to a tree. Trust me on this one!:trust:

Two doors are really nice even for just one person. One door/vestibule for your gear to stay dry. And one door that remains unobstructed for midnight excursions to a tree. Trust me on this one!:trust:

tent door ain't called a fly for nothin'

:shame:

I have a couple camping trips coming up and at least one is going to be be on the bike so I'm thinking about getting a 2 person tent cause my Eureka Timberline is a little big.

I'm thinking about the Eureka Apex or Kelty Grand Mesa

I have the Apex, great tent, light, easy to put up and take down. The dual vestibule is great, especially for keeping your shoes dry on dewey mornings. And it is bright ***** yellow!

We have the Apex 2.

100_3733.jpg

It is great for 1 or 2 nights. Sets up quick and packs up small & light.
If we are going to camp more than 1 or 2 nights we use this:

SN850851.jpg

2000 Bunkhouse. here is a night pic

SN850847.jpg

A inside pic

SN850880.jpg

Hooked up to the bike for moving down the road.

100_4155.jpg

I wonder if I could pull that rig through water crossings and washes with my KLR....
:giveup: NOT! I would need a Tee-Dub for that! :rofl:

After a misspent youth of Boy Scouts and other outdoor activites I have quite a collection of tents ranging from lightweight backpacking up to huge stand up in car camping.

Recommending a tent is akin to discussing what type of oil to put in your bike -everyone has an opinion...

My 2 cents on the choices from the first post would be to go with the Eureka simply for the fact it has 2 entrances with two small vestibules. Price is too close to matter, but if your camping with someone and dont have to climb over them to get to the bathroom at 2am this is a huge plus.

Also, assuming you will be camping in the South (this is a forum for Texas riders...) it will be more beneficial in the summer months (read 10 months out of the year) to have more mesh to let a breeze flow through. Get a good sleeping bag for the winter.

Good luck!

Back