• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need advise (XR400 value)

Reaction score
First Name
Nic
Ok folks.. i've been looking for a dual sport and today i went to check out a 2001 Honda XR400. The bike needs TLC, right plastic cover, tripmeter, few bolts here and there but pretty much complete. Billet upper tree and pro-taper bar included with it.

Now, she's not running at the time. Previous owner tried to "fix" a top end problem and ended up leaving it a corner for sometime; then he put it back together and forgot about it.

He's not sure what's the problem with it (:doh:) so it will need to be disassembled to check out the internals.

The part that i like is that he has a TX title for it. Wants $800 for the XR.

So.... it's worth it or not??

Let me know guys!!

Thanks in advance,

Nick.

Only parts missing are the right side plastic panel, headlight plastic (# plate) panel, tripmeter and rear brake pedal.
There are several bolts that are not in place/missing but not too worry about them.

Thanks!
Nick.

take the average value if the bike was running and in good condition. Ill guess $1000-1500. minus the parts needed to fix it. your time and labor equal your savings. So if you can get it for 600-800 and spend 200-400 you will have 1000-1200 invested.

the bike's probably been modified and/or raced and/or not maintained very much if it has "top end problems". How do you misplace a rear brake pedal? The bike's probably been wrecked too. I'd make sure it's not stolen, has a clean title. Unless you are willing to rebuild the engine yourself, or pay to have it done, I wouldn't buy it, you don't know what you're getting.

800.00 is too much for sure, Not knowing what's wrong with it could be bad leading it to become a part's bike for a better XR, XRs are so reliable, How could someone ruin an 01? There are 95 models out there that are still great running bikes for around 800 to 1200, check the compression with the kick starter and go from there. SZ.

95 Model? Now that may be worth the 800 since it would be the very first one (prototype - :lol2:) considering the xr400 came out in 96.

BTW for reference, I paid 1100 for a great running 96, 3 years ago and found that to be a good deal compared to others on market at the time. Today a good running 2001 should fetch about 1400 to 1600. If your good mechanically 800 is maybe still a little high but as suggested 500/600 would not be too much since you can get a replacement top end if needed on fleabay for around 200 bucks. And spend another fifty for gaskets. If all the rest of it is there and you get a title, go for it if you can get it at 500/600 range.

Keep us informed - inquiring minds want to know - :rider:

Also as a reference, I sold a running but rough XR400 for $700.00.

$800 for a non-running incomplete pile of parts seems a bit high. I paid $900 for an xr600 that I got running in 5 minutes after getting it home. Carb was gunked at the sellers house, but I guess the trailer ride knocked it loose. If you're REALLY handy maybe this one is for you, but I've seen running xr400's with no obvious headaches go for 1500.

re "95 model, Sorry Im getting on in my years, I think I had a 96 but dont hold me to that,,,,SZ.

I paid $1k for a '98 model and all I really had to do was, clean the jets.
I put more work into it, and put on other parts that it didn't need, but I wasn't planning on selling it right away.
I could easily get out of it what I have into it +/-$50 or so.

I remember when you posted that Terry, yes you got an exceptional deal. The kind that you need to jump on because the next guy will if you don't.

Usually I'm the second guy on those kind, (day late) :lol2:

Well, I bought it for $600. Picked her up Saturday morning and by noon I had her all apart and found out what's wrong with the motor. Long story short... previous owner replaced the head, piston, pin, clips and rings, gaskets, etc.. While putting her all together he broke 1 piston ring, slapped the rest of the parts and park her in a corner.
IMO, he replaced the head, piston kit and misc. thinking there was a problem with those components; the only thing wrong with it now is the connecting rod and crank (maybe). I didn't have a shop manual handy to compare some measurements but i looks like there is a lot of play at the rod/crank and it has that characteristic blueish colour around the connecting point (Oil supply fault?).
Bearings looks good, transmissions looks good... Oh... the clutch is brand new!

Unfortunately i didn't take any pics of it while in 1 piece.. but i'll take some tonight and post them.

Sooooo, what do you guys think.. just look for another complete crank/rod assy to get it running? Replace just the rod? 400Ex bottom end? E-Start? 440 kit?
Hmm so many possibilities!!!

Anyway, thank y'all for the feedback and will keep you guys posted with my XR400R project!!

Nick.

BTW, here are some pics of my old XR400R.. it was a '98 I bought with a non-running engine and all in pieces. I installed a 2002 engine in it (CDI, wiring, carb, everything 2002 and i ran like a champ!). Upgrade suspension internals, A-loop kit, Easton EA70 bar and more!

I think the Aloop kit looks good, but costs a ton and lowers fuel capacity

Well it certainly looks like you are capable of bringing that XR back from the dead. Good luck on it and keep us posted with your progress.:thumb:

post up pics and start a restoration thread in the project section.

I have a red XR400 rear fender with the stock light rewired to be a brake light for sale if you're interested

Yeah.. the A-Loop kit is expensive. A friend was selling it and i got it cheap :chug:

I'll start another thread with updates and progress!!

Thanks,

Nick.

Back