• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Advice on a Bandit

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a 2nd bike to my stable and need some info on Bandits. I like the look of the 1200 Bandit and its pretty cheap for a Sport Touring machine. Problem is I'm quite tall, 6'4" so not all bikes fit me (other than a GS).

What is the comfort level?

How many miles have rode before you had to get off the bike?

Routine maintenance, how much?

Is the Bandit really fit for a big guy like myself?

Very good all things considered... fairly upright riding position, lots of aftermarket seats to choose from if you don't like the stocker (didn't care for the OEM gel seat myself though) Upgrading the suspension (rear shock in particular) is a must-do.

+/- 150 no problem... a lot depends on how you set the bike up though.

Typical oil/air cooled rules apply... regular oil/filter changes will go a long way toward longevity. Valve adjust intervals are more frequent than other bikes, however it's an easy check once you learn how to properly do it. Other than that the rest is up to you... chain/sprockets, tires, brake pads, all vary based on your riding style.

I would say yes... again, depending on set-up. Bar risers are readily available, aftermarket foot pegs, seats... there's bound to be a combination to suit your needs. You'll really appreciate the low end torque, low insurance, and all around versatility of the Bandit. There are shortcomings (lousy headlight, weak factory suspension, etc.) but the value is there.

Actually a V-Strom is on my list too. Problem is there are so many good bikes its hard to decide what to get next ;)

I had a 1200 before the 1250...that tell ya?.. I loved it. I'm only 5'8" and it was a bit tall for me at a stop..I don't see how you can go wrong with one unless it's been down or abused. I put 30K+ on it and ran across the fella that bought it from the dealer I traded it to..He also loves it.
Shotrod (with 2 Bandits under my belt) :rider:

IMO the V-Strom would make a better Sport/Touring bike. The problem with the newer Bandits, '07 and up, is the lack of a suitable windscreen. The windscreen/fairing is just too far from the rider to effectively block the wind. OTOH I have never ridden a bike with a better engine. It pulls from 1,500 rpms. My Bandit actually has better grunt than my ZX-14 below 3,000 rpms.
Here's a pretty accurate assessment of the V-Strom.
http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/comparison.htm
I am most likely going to sell my '08 ABS Bandit and get a more suitable Sport/Touring bike.
There is no better around town bike than a Bandit.

IMO the V-Strom would make a better Sport/Touring bike.

I'm not sure I would agree with you on this.
Had a V-Strom and got rid of it for the Bandit. Stability in cross wind was one of the issues. The 'strom is top heavy because of it's height & high ground clearance and that affects handling especially at low speeds. The buffeting issue with the 'stroms is well documented. True the Bandit does a small and low windscreen, but at least there isn't a buffeting issue.

I'm not sure I would agree with you on this.
Had a V-Strom and got rid of it for the Bandit. Stability in cross wind was one of the issues. The 'strom is top heavy because of it's height & high ground clearance and that affects handling especially at low speeds. The buffeting issue with the 'stroms is well documented. True the Bandit does a small and low windscreen, but at least there isn't a buffeting issue.

I also had a DL1000 for 16 months and 18,000 miles I got rid of for the Bandit. Engine stuttering problem we could never get rid of in the 2900 to 3000 range in the first two gears, tall for my 28" inseam ( dropped it twice due to that ). I find the Bandit way more fun in the bottom of the rev range and better handling also. Better fuel mileage by a couple mpg's. Had 3 seats for it, 2 corbins and a Rick Myers. The standard corbin was the best but made the beast even taller. I never did so much work on a bike with so little return than the Big Storm. Others have had a great relationship with them and my hat is off to them. But for what I want in a bike for my style of riding, it just didn't do.

There are actually far better Sport/Touring bikes than either the Bandit or V-Strom. My next bike will be either a Yamaha FJR or Kaw C14. I am leaning toward the C14 to match up with the ZX-14.

There are actually far better Sport/Touring bikes than either the Bandit or V-Strom. My next bike will be either a Yamaha FJR or Kaw C14. I am leaning toward the C14 to match up with the ZX-14.

The DL1000 and the 1250S are in the same price range. If money is not the problem then you could run up to BMW's fine sport touring bikes also. I do like the Connie 14 though. Maybe if I was still working instead of retired. ;-). :trust:

Virtually anything is fully capable, even the little 650cc "Wee Strom". Taking the advise or seeking OPINIONS from folk who either have a bias or believe they know truths....., may be an exercise in futility.

The way I look at it, you first consider your ego's need for POWER ..., or if you will be hauling around a passenger, carrying lotsa luggage, climbing steep grades to higher altitudes, etc., thereupon deciding what size engine you need/WANT.

Then you consider 'exotic', designer name, trendy, "work horse", reliable, or if you want a brand name known to be either easily serviced and/or with national/international parts availability.

Off road, dual purpose, standard, sport touring, sport, wannabe racer?

"Barn door" wind protection, 3/4 fairing, 1/2 fairing, 1/4 fairing, bikini windshield, or naked?

"Ergos": Does it fit you with minor alterations? How long do you plan to be in the saddle? Is the seating position, handlebar position, foot peg placement where they need to be?

What do people have to offer (aside from personal opinions) with regard to reliability, servicing, known quirks, etc.?

What color do you want?

--------------------------------------------------------------

* Handlebars can be easily bent for minor modifications, replaced, or brought up and/or back via bar-backs or risers.
* Seats are subjective, but a seat can be modified or replaced quite easily.
* Foot pegs..... are you a former cruiser cowboy, a duap purpose guy, or a racer dude? You jus' gotta acclimate.

* I have ridden more than 450 miles in one day from the saddle of my Bandit 1250. Sometimes with a sheepskin seat cover, sometimes without.
* Oh, you wanna know..... "before (I) get off the bike?"
Whenever I feel the need, have to get gas up, want some water/beer/JD, take a picture, or talk to the local color, in short.... whenever I WANT.

* I change my oil every 3,000-4,000 miles (or when the oil is contaminated), change my filter every other oil change.
* Lube my chain every 400+- miles, run a bunch of WD-40 over it every 2,000+- miles, clean it with Kerosene every 7,500+- miles.
* I clean (w/o water) my bike frequently to catch things that might need my attention.
* I pay attention to the factory recomended valve check/adjustment.

* It's sure gonna fit YOU better than it fits a small guy like myself!

hey there, i just picked up a 2005 bandit, i am 6'2" and about 200. ergos are great, you might want bar risers if you like an even more upright seating. i am coming from a cruiser so the seating i have to get used to. distance... well about 50 miles (i only got it wednesday). mine came with a corbin gel seat, do not know if i like it yet, it seems a bit hard and slick (they do not use leather but some kind of carbon fiber). i am going to have to a gambit of maintenance, have to check the valves since the prevoius owner did not in it's 14k miles. this is also my first chain bike so i am learning about chain maintenance too. if these are o-ring chains does all this oiling and lubing matter, other than protecting the sprockets??

On the seat, use some kinda leather protection oils or cream. Will make it lots less slick. I had a friend whom Armorolled a seat for me once. WOW!
Need to keep the outer part of the o-rings lubed also with the sprocket and chain rollers is my understanding. Clean it ever so often with kerosene. Everyone has their own method.
Probably not do as I did yesterday and do about 10 miles on a loose limestone gravel road with lots of dust to work on my new chain. Sigh!

hey there, i just picked up a 2005 bandit, i am 6'2" and about 200. ergos are great, you might want bar risers if you like an even more upright seating. i am coming from a cruiser so the seating i have to get used to. distance... well about 50 miles (i only got it wednesday). mine came with a corbin gel seat, do not know if i like it yet, it seems a bit hard and slick (they do not use leather but some kind of carbon fiber). i am going to have to a gambit of maintenance, have to check the valves since the prevoius owner did not in it's 14k miles. this is also my first chain bike so i am learning about chain maintenance too. if these are o-ring chains does all this oiling and lubing matter, other than protecting the sprockets??

I had the 1200 also 02 model. Now since I'm a mechanic, you'd think...hey this guy does his own maintenance. Well, I do...up to a point . When it comes to the valve adjustment, shims need very little, I checked mine once at about 25K (I had a slight valve cover oil leak) and didn't adjust any of them..too close to worry about. The dealerships love to sell that maintenance though. Same thing with my old 850..now my 550 Honda had lash adjusters, and they did need periodic adjusting. I'd do them anywhere from 5 to 8K miles. As for the lubing, yes...the orings themselves seal the links, which have grease inside them. If the orings get stiff or lack lube, they can wear, easpecially if the chain gets a bit of rust. It happened to my 1200 with the stock chain.I let it go too long one trip, and one of the links actually kinked. I freed it up, but it needed lubing about twice as often after that. BTW..when replacing..IMHO an x-ring chain is much better.
Shotrod

I'm 6'4" and a tad over 140 Kilos, I had knee issues on rides over 500 miles, not bad but my knees needed to be walked some. I then put the seat up into the top posisiton and all was well. It depends on you leg inseam. You might try the stock seat height but if you need more you can change it. Love the B1250 now, it was a little tame stock but since it is so inexpensive you can save some money to bring the motor to life. You might also want to look at the new VFR as well.

Mark

Now since I'm a mechanic, you'd think...hey this guy does his own maintenance. Well, I do...up to a point .

Shotrod

I agree with that. I spent most of my life as a mechanic. People think my stuff is in the ultimate shape due to that. Ha ha ha ha;. I work on my stuff only when really needed. I'd rather ride. But really do spend more time playing about with the machines now that I retired. But,. I'm not gonna get carried away or pay a shop to touch my bike.

Back