• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Possible Project bike: '82 GL1100 Aspencade

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
There's a chance I could be building a 1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade.

I don't know a whole lot about these bikes and was curious what y'all thought of the thought of rebuilding the bike and using it as a 2-up touring machine.

I'm not scared of doing all the wrenching and the bike is fairly mechanically sound. Cosmetically, it needs help.

If you've got experience with these bikes, where does one find parts? I've found a few sites for them, but more is always helpful.

Thanks!

In 1982, there were four big touring bikes that everybody wanted. The Aspencade was the king, Yamaha with their Venture, Suzuki with their Cavalcade, and Kawasaki with their Voyager fought amongst themselves for runner up. Of these I think only the Cavalcade came close to being on the same level as the Aspencade. Not sure why, but even at 19, I wanted a touring bike. I ended up with a more manageable SilverWing (Honda's attempt at producing a mid-size touring bike ... it sold poorly and they were still available in a crate two and three years after they stopped producing them. Ironically, they used the name again for a mega scooter).

It's a great bike (or was at the time). I'd make sure you find shop manuals for it and you might want to check for parts availability on a bike that's 26 years old.

Wayne

My bet is that parts are going to be a problem. You might check with a Honda service dept.

With all due respect to all you folks; the Wing 1100 was a project bike when Honda built it. The handling was.....waiting for a place to spit you off. The engine was fairly well thought out but extremely expensive to work on.
I owned an independent repair shop and saw my fair share of these things, none impressed me. The two up means..sitting straight up and no leaning.
MHO

Thanks for the input so far.

Been looking around and it appears that parts shouldn't be too bad. Seems there's enough of a following, the reproduction parts abound.

Smoky, how does the 1100 compare to the 1000 and 1200 models? How about the CX/GL500's?
I've done work on a GL1000 and a CX500. Took both for a short spin, nothing peg-dragging in the slightest, and the main thing I noticed was the brakes, or lack there-of.
GF's father has a GL1200 and we're going to take a spin on that tomorrow so that'll give me some clue how the OldWings work.

Due to the cheap entry price and relatively good state of repair of this bike, I'm leaning towards going ahead with the project.

I thought the 1200 was a marked improvement over the 1100, still no canyon carver but at least stable.
Yes lots of after market parts are available BUT the quality is suspect on many of them. I know times change but the AM timing belts use to break without reason, h2o pumps would have bearing failure etc. I'm sure there is a dedicated forum where you can get specific help on what is good and what's junk.
Good luck and I think you'll prefer the 1200 after a ride.

I bought a two-tone brown 82 Aspencade brand new. Rode it 50,000 miles in 4 years with my wife on the pillion most of the time. The ONLY repair I ever had to do was replace the water pump. It handled like a pig but was smooth and dead reliable.

Traded it for a 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale. In my opinion, the Yamaha was head and shoulders better than the Gold Wing in every aspect. It handled better, had twice the torque, was waaay quicker, and also dead reliable. I only had it for 20 months, but put 20,000 miles on it it that time with the only repair being a side stand safety switch that failed.

Wayne

Now for a positive reinforcement.
Congrates on the Wing. Typically these bikes are very easy to work on. I have semi restored two. a 1000 GL and a 1100 GL. I did not tear them down to the frame and do a concurs restoration. They were riders. There are several parts guys that specialize in old Wings. There is also a man that goes by Randakk. He loves these things enough to have a complete and accurate carb rebuild kit and instructional video on how to do it correctly. Worth every penny.

Randakks Cycle Shack

Gold Wing info

The Gold Wing Forum not the new improved wing, just the old 1000, 1100, 1200 versions. The 1500 is considered a "new" version.

There is a guy in Seguin that buys and sells parts, He post on CL on occasion.

I regret selling both bikes, times is hard and that is the way things work. My 1100 was black and combined with the black leather moto cop jacket and white helmet, people and cops thought I was a moto cop:lol2: Great stuff, they pull over to let me by!:mrgreen::rider:
The Yellow Wing was a gift from my brother, some day I hope to buy it back.

Back