• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Talking, texting, while riding.

Reaction score
[rant]Lately my wife and I have seen many fellow motorcyclists talking with their phone while riding(holding ear to shoulder), and many more texting while riding and/or while at stop lights.

I guess I'm old, but this extremely pisses me off. What set me off to post this was my wife and I saw a Longview motorcycle cop pull out his Razr and start texting while leading a funeral yesterday morning. IMO, highly unprofessional and unsafe. [/rant]

Unprofessional for sure on the cop's part. Just idiotic on the riders part. Is riding not challenging or interesting enough anymore?

This post reminded me of our ride this weekend. I was in the right lane on the highway and this lady in a car is coming up on me in the left lane. She starts pacing me, I look over and she's texting :angryfire I dropped speed to get out from beside her. I don't want to be there when her car wanders. I had the urge to throw my shoe at her window.

People just won't learn and don't care about the consequences. At least not until they hurt someone.

I've checked a text message at a stop light, but can't respond. Texting with gloves on would be way too hard and there's not enough time to take the gloves off, respond and put the gloves back on. Whoever called/texted can wait unti l I get home

I can't imagine doing either while riding :eek2:
eventually natural selection will get some of those guys

I've checked a text message at a stop light, but can't respond. Texting with gloves on would be way too hard and there's not enough time to take the gloves off, respond and put the gloves back on. Whoever called/texted can wait unti l I get home

I can't imagine doing either while riding :eek2:
eventually natural selection will get some of those guys

I've done this once or twice (honestly, only a couple of times). If I've felt the need/urge to text while riding I either suppress the urge or I pull off the road into a parking lot or something.

What about taking photos while riding?

Is that dangerous?

I've often wondered that myself when I see photos posted on this site, and numerous other sites, taken while riding. I just don't have enough confidence in my ability to try to whip out the camera while riding.

I admit. I do talk on the phone on occasion while riding. Generally, to let my wife know that I am 10 minutes out from picking her up at work. However, I do ride a wing and I have everything intergrated through the bike's headset and it is all hands free. Not really any different than talking to her through the intercom.
Go ahead. Beat me up for this. :giveup:

I've often wondered that myself when I see photos posted on this site, and numerous other sites, taken while riding. I just don't have enough confidence in my ability to try to whip out the camera while riding.

I agree. But then I've seen an occasional poster on this site one-handing it through a peg dragging turn, holding a camera inches off the asphalt, while taking a pic. and passing me.

I saw loads of people texting/talking on the phone while riding in the Philippines. Scary for sure!

I won't text on the bike for sure. Impossible with gloves on and just plain dumb.
IF I were to get a way to talk on the phone through the comm system, I'd take important calls. But, i'd most likely use the excuse "I'm on the bike" to not answer the calls :trust:

That's one thing I love about riding. It is my escape so to speak. When I am riding, my phone is usually in my tailbag or in inside pocket in my jacket I can't get to with gloves on. Whatever it is, it can and will wait until I get to a stopping point. It's the only time I don't feel I have to answer that blasted thing.

That's one thing I love about riding. It is my escape so to speak. When I am riding, my phone is usually in my tailbag or in inside pocket in my jacket I can't get to with gloves on. Whatever it is, it can and will wait until I get to a stopping point. It's the only time I don't feel I have to answer that blasted thing.

Ditto.

Riding is my time. Work will wait. And I don't have friends that call :tears: :lol2:

Re: photos
Unless its done with a mount, forget it.

Pet peeve: people who intentionally ride with one hand to be cool/do stupid things. Try doing it all the time and see how "fun" it is :moon:

Nice Open Air Office

704980264_3B6yJ-L.jpg

I saw this going on while enroute to work this morning. One hand on the throttle, the other hand was holding a phone (Blackberry) and the thumb was going nuts trying to type....while the bike was in motion!

My phone stays in my pants pocket or under the seat. I don't need the distraction and if I hear it go off, I might pull over or wait until I arrive at my destination.

What EVER did we do before cell phones? :doh:

I admit. I do talk on the phone on occasion while riding. Generally, to let my wife know that I am 10 minutes out from picking her up at work. However, I do ride a wing and I have everything intergrated through the bike's headset and it is all hands free. Not really any different than talking to her through the intercom.
Go ahead. Beat me up for this. :giveup:

No flogging deserved. ;-)
As you said, this is no different than using the rider-passenger intercom or bike-to-bike radios. :thumb:
Only a problem if you can't normally chew gum and walk.:sun:

As for two wheeled texters.....:loco:

Is that dangerous?

Not only did you take a photo of yourself while riding, but you then sent it to me via text, and then we have a text conversation of how you were texting while riding!!!! But you said it was okay because you had the cruise control on!:rofl:

I've checked a text message at a stop light, but can't respond.

+1 - I will often send a quick text before I hop on the bike and when I get to a red light I'll check to see if/when we're meeting up or if Jamey has left work yet.

I agree. But then I've seen an occasional poster on this site one-handing it through a peg dragging turn, holding a camera inches off the asphalt, while taking a pic. and passing me.

Umm... while passing on a straight maybe :rider:

I've taken pics while slabbing it. but I can pull the camera out of the tank bag (which is tethered to the tank bag) and turn it on and snap a pic with out really looking at it

ive done it on the spyder a few times.. but 2 wheels i wouldnt feel safe.. if i need to make a call or text.. i will pull over.. if i am pillion and i hear my phone buzz i will whip it out and text away..

I have indeed texted while riding. It was a few years ago, and I'd regularly do it on my way home from work going from Denton to Lewisville. I'd keep my phone in the map pocket of my tank bag so I could see it light up when I got a message. I'd then pull it out and respond as I rode down the highway (probably at higher than legal speeds). At the time my biggest concern was that I might drop my phone while going down the road. I look back now and wonder how in the world I didn't kill myself.

Is that dangerous?

You can add to that fiddling with the GPS device on a bike while under speed. I have been guilty of that, but tend to wait for open roads and only for a few seconds.

It depends on your location relative to traffic density and how much text you are entering. In most cases I think you need to pull over and/or wait for an area on the road that allows you to do it quickly and away from traffic/cars.

RB

This post reminded me of our ride this weekend. I was in the right lane on the highway and this lady in a car is coming up on me in the left lane. She starts pacing me, I look over and she's texting :angryfire I dropped speed to get out from beside her. I don't want to be there when her car wanders. I had the urge to throw my shoe at her window.

I honk at people when they're doing stupid stuff like texting near me. I've also been known to yell "Hang up and drive!" But I'm ready to evade, too. I also wave people back when they're driving too close to my back wheel. So far, people react pretty well. People are more clueless than vicious.

Is that dangerous?

It can be. I hope everyone here uses good judgement about when to take a photo.

Same with fiddling with the GPS, or the radio or iPod, or talking on the intercom/phone. It's more a matter of timing than anything else.

Back