• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Removing airbox snorkel with slip on questions

anthep

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone who has a slip-on road exhaust with removable baffle has also removed the snorkel on the air box with the standard filter ? My questions are..
1. Is there any improvement in how the bike runs?

2. will the o2 sensor/ecu be able to compensate so the bike will not run to weak?

3. Has anyone tried this?

When i get the cash together i intend to purchase Dales stage 1.

Cheers Anth

YES, I have.... and with very good results!

I anticipated receiving my Stage 1 components via UPS one day, but they didn't show up in time for a ride that weekend. And I jus' HADDA go for a RIDE!

I already drilled the 1 1/2" hole in my air box lid, returned the snorkel to place (I think the snorkle's purpose is partly intake noise reduction), already drilled the DB killer outa my after-market slip-in, and went for a ride with the fellas.

THE BIKE RAN REALLY REALLY WELL! And it ran better than before I drilled that 1 1/2" hole in the air box lid....

I say GO FOR IT!

By the way, I happened to have mounted a pocket camera to my handlebars that weekend. Judge for yourself, this was my bike with slip-on and 1 1/" hole drilled in the air box lid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLQGgP7iWyo

0------------------------------------------------------------------0

Do you have any pics of where to drill the hole? I'm also wondering if the ecu/02 senser can cope and adjust the mixture so it's not running to lean, though by your experience it does not sond as thugh your bike was running lean.
\cheers
YES, I have.... and with very good results!

I anticipated receiving my Stage 1 components via UPS one day, but they didn't show up in time for a ride that weekend. And I jus' HADDA go for a RIDE!

I already drilled the 1 1/2" hole in my air box lid, returned the snorkel to place (I think the snorkle's purpose is partly intake noise reduction), already drilled the DB killer outa my after-market slip-in, and went for a ride with the fellas.

THE BIKE RAN REALLY REALLY WELL! And it ran better than before I drilled that 1 1/2" hole in the air box lid....

I say GO FOR IT!

By the way, I happened to have mounted a pocket camera to my handlebars that weekend. Judge for yourself, this was my bike with slip-on and 1 1/" hole drilled in the air box lid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLQGgP7iWyo

0------------------------------------------------------------------0

Stage I stuff costs money, it gets you a TFI, K&N air filter, and an O2 bi-pass plug. I think the computers on most of these modern bikes do a pretty good job of reading air intake, exhaust, and adjusting the air/fuel ratio accordingly. As good as the bike was running, I had already decided that I was going to trust Dale Walker's work for getting my air/fuel ratio 'right', thus my having purchased the full-on Stage I package. As GOOD as the bike was running with just a hole drilled in my air box lid and slip-on can, it ran even BETTER when I completed the Stage I as prescribed.

Let's see if I can post this image from off Dale Walker's 'Holeshot' site:

tfi_install04.jpg

Hi,
Yes winter is setting in here now so i will wait until spring and get Dales stage 1 kit as it seem to improve the mid range where i tend to ride most of the time... I'm not so interested in the top end as you can get jailed here in the uk for speeding big time !

Anthep

I remember taking the snorkel off my '06 DL1000. That sucker was so loud I put it back on again. ;-). Fixing to build me a DB buster for my Yosh as that sucker is getting pretty loud. If only that stock can was not so dang big and ugly, it would still be on.
I ride through too many small farm communities and don't like people looking for me two blocks away because they hear my bike coming. ;-(. Attracts the wrong kind of attention.

I remember taking the snorkel off my '06 DL1000. That sucker was so loud I put it back on again. ;-). Fixing to build me a DB buster for my Yosh as that sucker is getting pretty loud. If only that stock can was not so dang big and ugly, it would still be on.
I ride through too many small farm communities and don't like people looking for me two blocks away because they hear my bike coming. ;-(. Attracts the wrong kind of attention.

Relax Andy,
The Bandit ain't loud with the aftermarket end-can. Besides giving the farners a two block notice gives everybody a chance to wave as you go buy. Now if you were riding a Harley with open shorty straights. I would definitely be worried! You would never know wear that rife shot came from my friend.:eek2:

I hear the relax part. ha ha ha ha. But , sucess on my DB killer I built this morning after my old Lincoln cracker box decided to come on. ;-(. Getting almost as old as me. ha ha ha. Took a 1" heavy washer and cut a piece of fence piping and split it. Kept cutting the fence piping till it fit inside the can end. Welded the washer to it. Dressed it off with the hole more to the down side of the pipe for to get rid of water accumulation more better. Drove it in just passed the little hole to put a retainer bolt and did so and ground the end of the bolt off flush with the nut. Painted the insides all flat bar be cue black. Took off for a 20 mile test ride.
All is good. No more popping and cracking on deceleration. Back the sound level I had before loosing the 30 buck DB killer in Colorado somewhere s a few months back. ;-(.

Back