• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding Gear Storage

PhilS

Reaction score
Guys:

Posted this in the GEAR section of the main forums and got 30 views and 1 response. You guys have any thoughts on the matter?

Hi Guys:

I am looking for a cool way to store my gear. I have not owned this much riding gear before and was curious how you all store things. I found this rack (SuitRak) online in the UK, but I can not seem to find anything in the states. Clearly I am not looking heard enough as this is too good of an idea.

Thoughts anyone?

540099.jpg

I am looking for a cool way to store my gear. I have not owned this much riding gear before and was curious how you all store things. I found this rack (SuitRak) online in the UK, but I can not seem to find anything in the states. Clearly I am not looking heard enough as this is too good of an idea.

Thoughts anyone?

Broaden your search and don't look for motorcycle specific. I did a quick Google search for "garment rack" and this popped up, almost equal to what you showed. Probably many many more available in all price ranges.
http://www.stacksandstacks.com/supreme-garment-rack-and-optional-cover

_

Attachments

• reg-1220032602-132333.jpg
    reg-1220032602-132333.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 128
A plywood shelf, plastic tubs, and some hooks for the coats. Simple, cheap and out of the way.

Attachments

• DSC01387.JPG
    DSC01387.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC01388.JPG
    DSC01388.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 143
I've just dedicated the guest room closet to gear. I put gloves and a helmet in a container once and came back to it all covered in mold, they were a tad damp from a long trip with some rain time so everything stays in the open now.

The garage is way too dusty and hot to keep gear out there.

Guys:

Posted this in the GEAR section of the main forums and got 30 views and 1 response. You guys have any thoughts on the matter?

Hi Guys:

Thoughts anyone?

540099.jpg

Actually I'm guilty of NOT giving a lot of thought to that. But that gear rack is not unlike how we store gear at a firehouse. It is a good idea to do that for drying or airing out purposes. Very good subject, thanks.

A plywood shelf, plastic tubs, and some hooks for the coats. Simple, cheap and out of the way.

Word is, storing your helmet in the garage is a no-no. The fumes from gasoline and other harmful things in the garage (fertilizer, lube) tend to eat away at the foam in the helmet that protects your noggin.

So say the internets anyway.

trey

Actually I'm guilty of NOT giving a lot of thought to that. But that gear rack is not unlike how we store gear at a firehouse. It is a good idea to do that for drying or airing out purposes. Very good subject, thanks.

Gear Grid is expensive :)

I bought a cheap ikea wall wall locker like the ones we were issued in the military and stowed my wife's and my gear in there.

I've got you all beat on cost and ease of use with my riding gear storage method, and it travels with me were ever I go :rofl:

IMG_0225.jpg

Dang! My stuff is scattered between a Hall Closet for really old stuff (old Sears Horsehide Leather Jacket from 1958, Gosh, that makes 50 years since my first bike ) behind my office door for boots and jacket liners and the garage with a mobile clothes rack for currently used gear.

I built my own from wire shelving bought at Lowes. Works great! Of course I am no organizer type but you get the idea. Cost me about $125 for all the shelving. Gear hangs from the shelves just fine. I have the Roadcrafter one piece hanging from it's own hook on the wall not because it is too heavy but because the hook was there before the shelves, told ya I was organized.

Attachments

• Motorcycles001[1].jpg
    Motorcycles001[1].jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 171
Word is, storing your helmet in the garage is a no-no. The fumes from gasoline and other harmful things in the garage (fertilizer, lube) tend to eat away at the foam in the helmet that protects your noggin.

So say the internets anyway.

trey

oh well then all mine are runined already. I don't keep a helmet long enough for that to happen.:mrgreen:

My helmets sit amidst the dirt and dust of an unkempt garage, on a towle, tucked into some shelves, with nocturnal rats & mice check'n 'em out.

My leather & mesh hang on cheap hangers from a make-shift drying line strung from one end of a garage wall to the other.

Boots sit in a closet in the house on shelves away from the cats, for fear that Cleo or Patra might want to chew on the soles.

Fancy poly-blend underware & socks in designated drawers mixed with with day to day cotton blend chonies & socks.

Our garage has field mice now and then, so I don't like leaving any jackets or helmets out there. The kitchen chairs seem to catch the jackets and the helmets go on the table (or the floor next to the table when it's time to eat). With most days being bike commutes for both of us, there's hardly any sense to putting the gear away.

We do keep off-season gear in a guest room closet, and on-season gear that just doesn't happen to be in use that day (liners, rain gear) in the coat closet right at the front door of the house. We also hang the Camelbaks in there to keep them within easy reach.

All said, I really DO want to make a storage closet for my bike gear, helmets, and work uniforms. If I was made of money, I would have a closet lined with cedar, circulating filtered air, and a negative ion generator.

But I think the best thing I could do is clean the garage, and possibly bring the leather and helmets into the house.....

Everyone's going to REALLY hate where we keep our gear
SRAD

Attachments

• P1010144.jpg
    P1010144.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 158
  • P1010143.jpg
    P1010143.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 149
Hey SRAD,
You and your lovely wife may need that as a reminder when pushing 200 mph. Ride safe guy and really loved your reports on pushing that Busa.

I've got you all beat on cost and ease of use with my riding gear storage method, and it travels with me were ever I go :rofl:

IMG_0225.jpg

I didn't want to have you all think that I am actually a slob, so this was a staged picture and is not at all how I keep my riding gear.

My jackets hang in my hall closet and my helmet and gloves sit on a shelf in my garage next to my bike. :rider:

I bought it at Sam's or Costco about 4 years ago. It's a closet organizer but there's no mfg info on the paperwork that I could determine. The baskets on the side columns are on drawer slides so you can fill them up and then slide them out to get at things. The center bar that the jackets hang on can be adjusted width-wise and that's the only thing that determines the distance between the two columns. The standard mesh shelves have plastic liners so that little things don't fall through. The legs have adjustable feet so that you can compensate for uneven floors. It's very sturdy and as you can see holds most of my and Brenda's gear.

Yeah, saw them at an outdoor concert being used by a couple and mentioned it to my wife. Next thing I knew they were in the garage. That was two years ago and they've never been used.

Back