• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rosetta Stone/Language Learning Feedback - kinda Bike Related

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Smith
So, say I wanted to ride my motorbike to Mexico sometime (say, next year maybe...), or be able to understand my mother-in-law when she speaks (Japanese). :)

I've had an interest in languages for a long time and haven't done much about it. A little Spanish in high-school and some Japanese informal classes (and a little immersion in Okinawa last summer) is all. My kid has started us (mom and dad) thinking about languages again, and I'm curious if y'all have any feedback on the Rosetta Stone method (or can recommend others). I've played with it a bit but it's too much $$$ right now to buy... although I think the immersion method they use would work for me. They also offer a "homeschool" version that includes recommended lesson plans, alternate learning tracks, testing functionality, etc. Costs for ~ 3 "levels" seems to be consistently in the $400 - $500 range per language, even on Fleabay. Any feedback or words of wisdom would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

My mother is a foreign language teacher (french and german) and she says that of the stuff out there, the RS is some of the best...hence why it costs more than some other stuff out there. No personal experience myself however.

If you want to learn spanish fast, get yourself a latina girlfriend, and start a fight. You'll be fluent in just a few "lessons".

:sun:

Thanks for the insight gixxer. And thanks for the wisdom Bob, I'd be fluent in a few other things as well, like the word "divorce". :eek2:

Justin

I've never used the RS software, but have heard great things about it.
I believe they are running a "free trial dvd" offer right now. Might be an easy way to try it for very little cost.

The best way to learn a language is to go find a NATIVE speaker, this is critical, and get them to teach you. As much as possible have them avoid speaking to you in English, but strictly in the language you are trying to learn.

I find that if you ask people they're generally willing to help as their language is part of their culture and they like it when people take interest in their culture.

Asking your MIL to teach you would give you both brownie points with her, and the language :trust:

I've been interested in it too. I called them up last week after hearing their add on the radio about the free sample DVD but after talking with them found out that the sample CD is basically the same as the online demo they have on their web-page.

One good thing I found out is that once you purchase the course they allow you to run it on two different computers meaning you and a buddy could split the cost.

Dude, you're in Austin. You can pick Spanish up ANYWHERE! Like someone mentioned, find someone who is willing to speak to you in their language & teach you. I don't know about RS, but other courses I have seen out there just teach basic "tourist" essentials.

Dude, you're in Austin. You can pick Spanish up ANYWHERE! Like someone mentioned, find someone who is willing to speak to you in their language & teach you. I don't know about RS, but other courses I have seen out there just teach basic "tourist" essentials.

You're correct of course, but I have a wife and a kid and a job and too many things on the "To Do" list. Having a native speaker standing around waiting for that 30 minutes a day between 11:30 and midnight (or not) when I can use them would be tough to do :)

That said, a native speaker for once or twice a month to augment the RS and keep me honest would seem to make a lot of sense.

Unfortunately the ML lives in CO and is kind of fading out... and doesn't really speak English. It would be nice to speak more than 5 words to her and hear how it was to grow up in Kumamoto (port city, heavily bombed by us) during WWII before she moves on.

I'd be fluent in a few other things as well, like the word "divorce".

¡Divorcio!
MSN-Emoticon-spanish-204.gif

Hahaha... funny thing is, with the high school Spanish and the Austin "immersion" I get via osmosis, I can follow most of that ;-)

Morgan, how many "modules" is it worth it to buy? It seems you can buy one, three, five... etc, depending on the language. Is it realistic to just buy the first one or two and try to save some dinero, or do you really need to throw down the bucks?

Learning Modalities and Learning Spanish

See the link...Before investing $$$ in Rosetta Stone OR Pimsleur, or any other canned language program, I would recommend that you have a bit of an insight into what type of learner you are.

Don't be surprised if you are stumped by a program someone else swears by, and vice-versa.

Persistance is the key....no matter what your age, if you keep at it and find your personal "magic key" to learning (not just learning spanish), you will succeed.

It may seem like an oxymoron, but (and to insert Rosetta Stone's ad line): If you know what type of learner you are, and follow that, persistance then becomes the the "fastest way to learn a language - guaranteed".

:deal:

or if you have a Marine buddy, get him to give you his online password for marine.mil and you can do the Rosetta classes for free since they get them from the site in all languages(sp) and dont have to pay a dime.

Coolhand, my husband and I have the Rosetta Stone Japanese. We picked it up several years ago before PCSing to Japan. I used it for a while and it is good I guess. I remember the lessons I did do :lol2:

What worked better though was actually having a Japanese tutor. There was a bar near the base who's owner was a JP tutor by evening, barkeep at night. It was a very convenient arrangement. I learned so much better with actual conversation.

I also practiced writing, first with the -kana. Then I started to keep a diary of my day. Just simply writing sentences. It helped arrange the sentence form. I found the tenses and endings the trickiest thing. I never got those down. My husband and I got to a point where we were comfortable with what little JP we knew so the urge to continue further and actually get fluent didn't happen. I do regret that. I wish I could have got conversationally fluent. I might still try. We have tons of dictionaries and language tools here that we collected.

No matter what method you use the ultimate thing success depends on is you. The success you get from a program really does depend on what you put into it. Especially when you're in a situation where you don't need to. I think if I were dropped in the middle of Japan and told to survive, I'd learn because I have to in order to survive. If I want to learn for fun with no pressure or consequence if I don't, I probably won't get much out of it or retain much at all. Consistency is key. The other is necessity.

I'm getting rusty because we have no one to speak to. Maybe the chef over at Edohana restaurant. I know he speaks JP. I should go see if he'd give me lessons :mrgreen:

I had Spanish V.2 1&2. I'm considering buying V.3 1-5. I wish they had a better plan to not rape you if you don't buy all 5 at once.

Spanish Rosetta Stone costs about 50 pesos at most tianguis in Mexico.

Most Spanish language challenged riders (Including me) figure if they bring a English-Spanish dictionary, tourist phrase book, and then search their IPOD internet for google translator, then all of the language issues will be covered. Not so, if your bike breaks down, it's not likely that the Mexican Mechanic in Matehuala is going to understand what you are saying. Many of the common motorcycle mechanic words are not included in many dictionaries, phrase books, or even google translator.

There is a thread in the English Forum of Tequiladezert that addresses this, you may want to copy and paste the list and keep it as a "cheat sheet."

http://www.tequiladezert.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4092

The moderators of TD are bi-lingual so the vast majority of this info is correct unless you want to be really nitpicky. Some words may change a little in different areas of Mexico, but for the most part any mechanic should understand you. The list is always being added to and reviewed.

I don't mind slopping thru my Spanish skills in finding a hotel, a restuarant, dealing with the police, or asking directions, not a problem for me..but, if the moto has a problem, I want to be understood clearly.

Que te vaya bien.

Thanks a bunch folks. Looks like I might have a chance to do some "immersion" in Spanish through work this year as well. I hear Rosetta comes with two licenses... anybody want to split one with me if we can find a deal?

Trice I've played with a very old copy of Rosetta and I think the learning modality will work for me. Writing is another thing though... not so bad for Spanish but Japanese, at least the kanji, is shear memorization.

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for but I'd recommend checking out the BBC series Muzzy. They have several different languages. I don't have a set personally, but my cousin's daughter is fluent in German and French, in addition to the Russian and English as her native dual tongues, thanks to the Muzzy programs. It's definitely something that we'll be looking into for our kids.

Justin go back and re-read Monica's post #17.

That piece about writing out your thoughts in spanish, like in a diary, or maybe constructing a letter in spanish (I write to two kids I sponsor in Mexico) is huge.

Think of it this way, while you're sitting in a waiting area, when you're watching a movie, or reading something in the newspaper, pick out some normal, simple, everyday phrases and challenge yourself to say those in spanish.

Monica said it perfectly - what you put in is what you'll get out. The more you make it a priority and give it time and effort, is what you'll get out. You can be "travel functional" or you can set a goal to be fairly conversational. I find the more I speak the better times I have in Mexico, and that's my motivation. You have to have a motivation.

The wife and I just bought 3 modules of RS German and are pretty happy with it so far. I agree that the key is to stick with it and have somebody nearby to practice with.

Auf wiedersehen!

Back