• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

See SPOT (II) run! (GPS tracking device)

R

Red Brown

Yowza,

Has anybody purchased the second generation SPOT GPS tracking device?

I guess there is no RAM mounting hardware for the new units.

This eager beaver wants to know....

RB

First Generation

spot-tracker-fb.jpg

Second Generation (two color options)

new-spot-gps-tracker.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what would the purpose of the RAM mount be? Being as it's not providing a whole lot of info I would think that it might be better to have it on you, in case you get thrown from the bike and have to call for help. Note: I've never had a spot but I've read a lot about them and was just curious.

We usually keep ours in a 'glovebox bag' (mounts underneath KLR windscreen) and it tracks just fine from inside there.

Just out of curiosity, what would the purpose of the RAM mount be? Being as it's not providing a whole lot of info I would think that it might be better to have it on you, in case you get thrown from the bike and have to call for help. Note: I've never had a spot but I've read a lot about them and was just curious.

That's kinda what I was thinking. What good is the 911 feature if you can't get to it because your legs are broken? Sure it will "track" better when it's on a Ram mount, but 24 hours or 48 hours later when someone even bothers to try to find out where the last track was, you probably aren't alive and kicking still.

I know that if I ever owned one, it would be on my person instead of tethered to a motorcycle.

I can't compare the new vs. old Spot. I am very happy with my old style version and can not justify upgrading to the new style.

Mine rides in my top pocket of my camelback backpack, and have seen good results that way.

That's kinda what I was thinking. What good is the 911 feature if you can't get to it because your legs are broken? Sure it will "track" better when it's on a Ram mount, but 24 hours or 48 hours later when someone even bothers to try to find out where the last track was, you probably aren't alive and kicking still.

I know that if I ever owned one, it would be on my person instead of tethered to a motorcycle.

I have tried tethering the device and it tends to fall off on really rough trails and/or get poor reception. My experience with the device is fickle with reception unless it gets a clear site of the sky. The next generation SPOT claims to have dealt with this issue.

Most people that have it, securely attach it to the bike. The buttons are easy to access while riding if you want to sent an OK signal. Of course, if you do have a brutal crash and you roll away from the bike and are unable to reach it, it defeats the purpose, but this type of accident is so rare it is not worth considering for my needs. With an adrenalin rush, it is amazing how far you can move your body if the need arises.

RB

I guess it's one of those "to each his own" things. I wouldn't want one for it's tracking ability, in fact I could really care less if that feature was even there. I would want it for the okay button, and the someone come get me, I'm bout to die button. But that's me.

I can't compare the new vs. old Spot. I am very happy with my old style version and can not justify upgrading to the new style.

Mine rides in my top pocket of my camelback backpack, and have seen good results that way.

I was told the Gen 2 has a cover over the 911 button now.

Also note that when you sign up for the service, you put in your ICE info. If you hit the 911 button, your ICE contacts will be notified as well. That said, I would never have a problem giving someone a scare if it means saving someone else. I would just ask the emergency responders to contact my ICE to report an OK.

I also learned that if you press 911 in case you come upon another motorcycle accident, the person injured will receive the bill or invoice for the recovery and not the registered SPOT owner.

RB

IMHO An Essential Part of Trip Planning

420923125_VoEaZ-M.jpg

Mount it on the handlebars and forget its there.

You won't have any problems with line of sight to the satellite.

I crashed with this setup in Mexico, October 2008. I was glad it wasn't on my body.

I use the tracking feature almost exclusively. I combine SPOT's tracking feature with Fire Eagle and Jason Jonas' SPOT trip tracker for real-time web based reporting for family and friends and trip reports. They love it.

I used the "OK" feature early on, but now almost never use it since I've implemented the bells and whistles of the above mentioned enhancements.

I didn't buy it for the 911 feature, although I'm glad its there. IMHO that would be more useful stateside than past the border, but I'll let you know when I use it in Latin America.

Overall, the unit has performed well in Mexico, to Honduras to Argentina.

Yes, when I can get my hands on GEN II, I'll get one, only because I'm a gadget geek.

Here are some of the most concise instructions for SPOT you'll find anywhere:

Jodie's SPOT Instructions

Here's a link to make your SPOT tracking come alive on any real time website you wish to link to in the world, from trip reports to personal blogs:

Jason Jonas SPOT Trip Manager

For the above link, you'll need to create an account and have Fire Eagle active from the SPOT website. Contact me for questions/clarification.

lol.. the only time I have seen one used when when someone had a blowout in there car.. I got the txt message long before the spot one. but I do have to say I am not getting my email @ 3 or 4 in the morning,

Re: IMHO An Essential Part of Trip Planning

420923125_VoEaZ-M.jpg

Mount it on the handlebars and forget its there.

You won't have any problems with line of sight to the satellite.

I crashed with this setup in Mexico, October 2008. I was glad it wasn't on my body.

I use the tracking feature almost exclusively. I combine SPOT's tracking feature with Fire Eagle and Jason Jonas' SPOT trip tracker for real-time web based reporting for family and friends and trip reports. They love it.

Great info!

I think it is prudent you also have the device tethered to the bike in case the crash is really hard. I can't imagine low/high siding with the device attached to my body, but I think hiking with it velcroed on the backpack frame is fun. Heck, if you have teenagers, you could tape it secretly to junior's car to see where he really goes on his travels. :)

I think I am going to try the Jonas' SPOT trip tracker feature you suggested.

I am planning on getting the second generation soon. I guess I can just transfer the account to the new one. They are shipping the second gen models this week I believe. I have seen group buys for the new one at around $115.00 per unit. Maybe if you have contacts at FindMe, we can whip up a TWTEX group buy?

BTW, putting an ICE number on the outside surface of the FindMe unit I think might be a good idea in case the unit is damaged and/or you have been knocked out on the side of the road and help arrives. Hmmmm, dialing from Mexico to a US number may not work, so I guess you could forward calls to a friends cell phone or perhaps a personal contact at the US embasssy in that country?

RB

I just ordered SPOT II from Amazon. When it arrives, I'll switch my SPOT account over to the new unit. The new SPOT II won't fit into the old SPOT first generation mount.

To fix that, I went back to RAM to get the updated mount. Here is their website:

RAM Mounting Systems

Here is the specific link to their SPOT II mounting products page....almost any application including motorcycles, cars and bicycles:

Next Generation SPOT mounting system heaven

If you just need the new SPOT II cradle and have an existing handlebar attachment (my situation), order this:

717206504_e2LXn-L.jpg

If you're starting from scratch and need the SPOT II mount and handlebar hardware, order this:

717206810_oNsXK-O.jpg

also have the device tethered to the bike in case the crash is really hard. I can't imagine low/high siding with the device attached to my body, but I think hiking with it velcroed on the backpack frame is fun.

I'm just wondering, but why? Is it because you might damage the unit?

I'm just wondering, but why? Is it because you might damage the unit?
I'm guessing the tether in case it becomes dislodged from it's base, you don't have to search through the bushes while injured to find the silly thing.

Not carrying on the body in case you land on it. I had an awful bruise where my keys were in my pocket in my crash, a spot might not be so good either. But still, I think for emergency purposes I'd rather have mine with me. I can see that there's probably little point outside the borders though.

The purpose (my purpose) for the tether is to keep the SPOT from flying out of the cradle when I hit the topes (Mexican speed bumps), and similar road challenges elsewhere.

Your own risk management assessment will dictate whether or not to keep the unit on your person. For motorcycle use, given the fact I packed it in on a ride in the mountains last year, my stance is never to carry a SPOT, or any hard item for that matter, in a pocket....no way. I also think there's better communication with the satellite when mounted on the handlebar.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary

I was just wondering. I've had quite a few tumbles all while carrying some form of firearm (which is notably bigger and pointier, and less forgiving than a Spot) and have never had a problem with it. Do what you gotta do I guess, and just hope that you are always in the position to get back to your bike. I just don't have as much faith in myself so I'd always carry the darn thing on me.

Whats the SPOT good for if its mounted on the bike and you're thrown off your bike and all mangled up?

Why is that?
My thought is to keep it on my person ... just in case of the really bad, flying through the air way off the bike type of accident, rare though it may be. In that situation, I imagine that it'd be worth its weight in gold.

Why is that?

What oil do I use? Wait, that's another thread....

Well, first of all, landing with guns, cell phones, SPOT devices or rocks in my pocket might not feel good to me. Some people ride with pieces of the Berlin Wall in their jacket and an uzi in their shorts, and report no ill effects after crashes. Congratulations. Whatever works for them. When I smacked the road in the mountains outside of Mascota, I had zilch in my pockets and still was sore for days. I didn't use 911 or help, just continued to use the tracking feature, which BTW worked flawlessly the whole trip in Mexico, before, then, and since.

But I see the main issue as this: there's the fact that your SPOT device, if on your person, isn't going to ping the satellite very well. In it's mount on the handlebar (at least, with my setup) it's facing flat to the sky, where it transmits best. Also, if it's in your pocket, it is harder if not impossible to check. When I'm pulled up to a stop, I usually cup my fingers around the indicator lights, to make sure SPOT is doing what I ask it to do. This all relates to the tracking function. If you're not into the tracking aspect of SPOT and you will only use it for emergencies, and don't care if it's on your person if you crash - have at it.

You can run through in your mind a hundred scenerios of what condition you'll be in after a crash. I suppose there are permutations of factors which might make it ideal to have it within reach, but as I work through my own expectations, desires, and needs, it works best for me where I've had it since day one. The punchline - ok, let's say you're alone, crash, break your legs, and can't crawl back to the bike. You reach into your pocket and activate your SPOT, and you're rescued. Winner! But if you're thrown from your bike and really wipe out and you're out cold or worse, it won't matter if you were wearing your SPOT around your neck, it's not going to activate on it's own.

Again, this is my own formula. I like constant satellite connectivity because the tracking feature requires it, and I'm wary of hard things in my jacket if I face plant. I'm not trying to convince anyone where to mount their SPOT, I'm just giving my experience and explaining what I do. You'd cringe at the stocks I invest in and would probably not like the NFL teams I do - to each his own. One poster on this subject posted on the logic of where he'd keep his SPOT - if he had one. Feh, if you have no experience with the thing and it's all speculation, then it's just cocktail conversation. If someone has a SPOT and has some experience with it, I'm not going to debate them about where they like to mount it or keep it. I want them to be happy, really.

Note: Having had SPOT I and now SPOT II, SPOT II wins, hands down. But that's another thread as well.

What oil do I use? Wait, that's another thread....

Well, first of all, landing with guns, cell phones, SPOT devices or rocks in my pocket might not feel good to me. Some people ride with pieces of the Berlin Wall in their jacket and an uzi in their shorts, and report no ill effects after crashes. Congratulations. Whatever works for them. When I smacked the road in the mountains outside of Mascota, I had zilch in my pockets and still was sore for days. I didn't use 911 or help, just continued to use the tracking feature, which BTW worked flawlessly the whole trip in Mexico, before, then, and since.

But I see the main issue as this: there's the fact that your SPOT device, if on your person, isn't going to ping the satellite very well. In it's mount on the handlebar (at least, with my setup) it's facing flat to the sky, where it transmits best. Also, if it's in your pocket, it is harder if not impossible to check. When I'm pulled up to a stop, I usually cup my fingers around the indicator lights, to make sure SPOT is doing what I ask it to do. This all relates to the tracking function. If you're not into the tracking aspect of SPOT and you will only use it for emergencies, and don't care if it's on your person if you crash - have at it.

You can run through in your mind a hundred scenerios of what condition you'll be in after a crash. I suppose there are permutations of factors which might make it ideal to have it within reach, but as I work through my own expectations, desires, and needs, it works best for me where I've had it since day one. The punchline - ok, let's say you're alone, crash, break your legs, and can't crawl back to the bike. You reach into your pocket and activate your SPOT, and you're rescued. Winner! But if you're thrown from your bike and really wipe out and you're out cold or worse, it won't matter if you were wearing your SPOT around your neck, it's not going to activate on it's own.

Again, this is my own formula. I like constant satellite connectivity because the tracking feature requires it, and I'm wary of hard things in my jacket if I face plant. I'm not trying to convince anyone where to mount their SPOT, I'm just giving my experience and explaining what I do. You'd cringe at the stocks I invest in and would probably not like the NFL teams I do - to each his own. One poster on this subject posted on the logic of where he'd keep his SPOT - if he had one. Feh, if you have no experience with the thing and it's all speculation, then it's just cocktail conversation. If someone has a SPOT and has some experience with it, I'm not going to debate them about where they like to mount it or keep it. I want them to be happy, really.

Note: Having had SPOT I and now SPOT II, SPOT II wins, hands down. But that's another thread as well.

No desire to debate. Thanks for your thoughts and perspective.

Your own risk management assessment will dictate whether or not to keep the unit on your person. I also think there's better communication with the satellite when mounted on the handlebar.

I know with the first gen SPOTs, it was recommended to mount with the SPOT logo facing up to optimize communication; if you were using the unit in tracking mode this would pretty much dictate mounting to the bike somewhere.
If you were to only use the 'OK' function, it could be kept zipped up in a jacket pocket and taken out as needed.
My preference has been to keep it clipped and tethered to the top of my first aid kit as shown.

100_1348-2.jpg

Had a guy on another forum going around 30 mph making a left turn hit some leaves and go down. He flew off and smacked a tree. He laid there not being able to move with his bike several feet away from him. Luckly he had his phone on him. Poor recepetion but they were able to track him down.

Having an object in your stomach region would probably be best since there's no bones there and your belly will mold over it.

I have a first gen Spot and tend to keep it in the top of my tank bag.

I thought when I first saw it I'd like to have a, for lack of a more appealing term, deadman switch where if you were thrown from the bike and unable to activate it then it would wait an interval then activate 911 mode.

I figured the cheapest, most reliable and easiest way to achieve that would be a tether arrangement that sets off a buzzer when pulled from the unit, this give you a chance to replace the tether or turn off the unit in case of a false activation. After 30 seconds of buzzing without interaction from the user, it enters 911 mode. You can either mount the device to the bike and attach the tether to your person, or vice versa according to user preference.

Maybe an option that it starts to SMS your contact list if you don't hit the "check in" every 3, 4, 5, 6 hours... I think a 30 second buzzer and then 911 is probably bad.

Now, how about this for Spot 3....

the device has a pin in it, and you tether a cord from the pin to your body. If the pin is pulled, the device emits a high pitched beep and the 911 alarm goes off if it's not canceled (reinsert the pin, or some such) within a minute. That would solve all problems. Device is now mounted, face up for best communication, and if you're thrown away from the device and can't get back, you're alarming.

A personal location device that uses RADIO waves instead of GPS is something I purchased as a Christmas present for a relative. It is the same technology that is used when a passenger hits the water with a life jacket.

The model I purchased transmit TWO signals simultaneously: a global 406 MHz signal and a 121.5MHz local signal. Once activated, FAST FIND's signals will continue to transmit for at least 24 hours, at a powerful 5 watt output, the 406 MHz transmission ensures that a call for help gets through, no matter where one is in the world.

The device has a sliding toggle that activates it. It could be turned on by attaching a spring-like device to it and a tether. When you fall off the bike, it turns on the homing device. It could also be a redundancy device when using the SPOT device.

CW35134.jpg

The device costs a little under $300. It is called the Revere Ultra Compact FastFind 210.

Back