• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Crash photos down under style

Reaction score
These photos are the result of a 60mph+ high side 'flick off' on wet road on Easter Monday 2009, in the south island of New Zealand. A very slick patch of road, a very slight bend in the road, and power being applied to pass a slow vehicle saw 3 x tank slaps before ejection over the top, a big slide down the road, hit in the back by the bike and catapaulted down a bank landing next to a railway line!! Total slide distance - 70metres (130ft). Bike - totalled - crank case cover worn down and crank shaft worn down, other superficial damage but that was enough for the insurers!
Rider - I walked away with a scratch on the arm, and some bruising. 30 years of riding counted for nothing, I was a passenger as soon as the back wheel lit up and let go. but a life changing moment with every day being GREAT, and yes, I upgraded to the 1250 a few months later.
My buddy Darryn (also on this site) was following on his 1250 and was lucky not to join me - photo 1 shows us a few days before

Attachments

• 100_4806.jpg
    100_4806.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_4833.jpg
    100_4833.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 100_4843.jpg
    100_4843.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_4837.jpg
    100_4837.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 100_4844.jpg
    100_4844.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
You are very lucky to have walked away! Goes to show you never know when you'll get bit. Good on ya for wearing (obviously) good gear.

That is scary stuff. Thank goodness no trees, light poles, etc to hit. Looks like a guardrail buried down in the bushes though? Wow...

attachment.php

I've seen some badly damaged motorcycles (including one of my own), that was one wicked slide. Sorry to hear about the accident, but good to know you came out OK physically.

Hi Marty,

is that just around Kaikoura?

Cheers Peter

I was wondering that too, or maybe near Akaroa?
Hey it could even be along Queen Charlotte Drive (one of my favorite roads in NZ)

Anyway, glad you came out ok, times like those you appreciate good gear huh?
Those Bandit covers don't handle much abrasion. I was told it is the magnesium alloy they use, but oggie knobs would have helped the casing survive.

Ride safe,
Mack

Crash was on State 1 about 10 minutes north of Dunedin, around a little settlement called Waitati.
Fortunately I missed anything nasty, and yes there was a post sticking out of the ground about 10m away.
Great gear, Dri Rider with all the relevant Kevlar and padding, with the left sleeve bearing the brunt and shredding through 4 layers down to skin - a good scar on the elbow to remind me of my folly.
Every day is a good day from now on!

Marty:

Your crash was seriously more impressive than mine - well done!!:eek2:

Seriously, glad you're OK for the most part unlike the bike. Amazing how much we humans can endure when we're actually wearing protective gear, eh?

I shall never understand the riders that wear shorts, t-shirts, no helmet, and are scooting along in traffic or on the freeways - MORONS!!!

You said "30 years of riding counted for nothing". Interesting comment. I remember Motorman Jerry Palladino used the concept that twenty years of riding doesnt give you twenty years of experience, it gives you one year of experience repeated twenty times!! That's where I am. I've been riding for 30+ years, but I still make the same mistakes I did when I first started. I am curing that now with some cornering courses, but it's amazing how my bad habits can come up out of nowhere and bite you in the butt when the pressure is one.

Well done getting out of that accident in one piece!!!

Later - Phil

Wait a minute! If these photos are from Down Under, shouldn't they be upside down?

Glad you didn't get badly hurt. Sorry about the bike.

No but the oil leaking out the case is going the opposite direction. :lol2:

I always tell new riders how I had a get off like this at 90mph and walked away unscathed because I was in full gear. Glad your alright.

And yes, sometimes no amount of skill or experience can keep you on a bike that has other ideas. If it wasn't true then why do MotoGp riders crash?

No but the oil leaking out the case is going the opposite direction. :lol2:

I always tell new riders how I had a get off like this at 90mph and walked away unscathed because I was in full gear. Glad your alright.

And yes, sometimes no amount of skill or experience can keep you on a bike that has other ideas. If it wasn't true then why do MotoGp riders crash?

Evil conspiratorial squirrels and they're brethren

Back