• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Triumph street triple. $3000 better than a ninja 650r?

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Well, ive been bikeless for awhile now, having sold the speed triple, it was just too tall for me. I am getting the itch again, and am only considering 2 bikes, the street triple(non r) and the ninja 650r.

Can get an 09 650r for $6800 OTD, while the speed trip. is going to be $10,000ish. Anyone have experiance with these two bikes? Is the triumph worth the extra money?

I would say it depends on how you ride. The street triple is a far more
capable sporting mount if you like to run fairly quick or do track days

650R capable for sure but a little tamer and more relaxed

Why didnt you just lower the Speed to suit your inseam ?

I've test ridden both, and I think the street triple is about $2000 better than a ninja 650R. Based on the fact that I was willing to pay about 9k OTD for a street triple. Couldn't get that deal worked out though. Some people reportedly could. Here's my review of the 650.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=523984&postcount=82

The Street had none of these problems. It was essentially perfect for me. Of course what I'm actually looking at is used ducati Monsters, because my financial situation changed since I was shopping for new street triples...

I agree with the consensus, that the triple is a superior machine to the ninja... and I'm a Ninja guy. If the 2k was not an issue, I'd go with the Brit.

This is why I like buying used. I really like Kawi's parallel twin (I have the quarter-liter version) but for the same money as a new ninja 650 I'm sure you could find an awesome used Triumph triple. That's what I'd do, anyway. (and if you just have to buy new, then yes, I'd think it was that much better, but my budget would dictate what I ended up on - and I'd be happy either way).

Apples to oranges really. The Ninja is a nice bike, but puts out something like 50 hp while the Triumph puts out over 100 at about 350 lbs. The street triple is a hooligan bike for tearing up the tarmac. The Ninja is a nice beginner/commuter bike.

A look at the specs shows that the Street triple is a stripped down sport bike and the Ninja is a mid size standard

Kawasaki

Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve per cylinder, parallel twin

Displacement 649 cc

Bore & Stroke 83.0 x 60.0 mm

Compression Ratio 11.3:1

Cooling Liquid

Fuel Injection Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies

Ignition Digital CDI

Transmission 6-Speed

Final Drive O-Ring Chain

Frame Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel

Rake/Trail 25°/4.2 in.

Wheelbase 55.5 in.

Front Suspension / wheel travel 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 4.7 in.

Rear Suspension / wheel travel Single offset laydown shock with adjustable spring preload / 4.9 in.

Front Brake Type Dual 300mm Petal Disc with 2-Piston Caliper

Rear Brake Type Single 220mm petal disc with single piston caliper

Fuel Tank Capacity 4.1 gal.

Seat Height 31.1

Curb Weight 449.8 lbs.

Overall length 82.7 in.

Overall width 29.9 in.

Overall height 47.2 in.

Color Candy Lime Green, Ebony, Metallic Island Blue

Warranty 12 months

Triumph

TypeLiquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder

Capacity675cc

Bore/Stroke74 x 52.3 mm

Compression Ratio12.65:1

Fuel SystemMultipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with SAITransmission

Final DriveO ring chain

ClutchWet, multi-plate

Gearbox6-speed, close ratio

Frame Aluminum beam twin-spar

Swingarm Braced, twin-sided, aluminum alloy

Front Wheel Cast aluminum alloy 5-spoke 17 x 3.5in

Rear Wheel Cast aluminium alloy 5-spoke, 17 x 5.5in

Front Suspension Kayaba 41mm upside down forks, 120mm travel

Rear Suspension Kayaba monoshock with adjustable preload, 126mm rear wheel travel

Front Brakes Twin 308mm floating discs, Nissin 2-piston sliding calipers

Rear Brakes Single 220mm disc, Nissin single piston caliper

I think it depends on what you're looking for. ("They got what you're looking for; if that's what you're looking for")

I, for instance, would at this point want another mid-size standard. You may want a stripped down sports bike. That's why they make them both! :clap:

A look at the specs shows that the Street triple is a stripped down sport bike and the Ninja is a mid size standard

Kawasaki

Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve per cylinder, parallel twin

Displacement 649 cc

Bore & Stroke 83.0 x 60.0 mm

Compression Ratio 11.3:1

Cooling Liquid

Fuel Injection Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies

Ignition Digital CDI

Transmission 6-Speed

Final Drive O-Ring Chain

Frame Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel

Rake/Trail 25°/4.2 in.

Wheelbase 55.5 in.

Front Suspension / wheel travel 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork / 4.7 in.

Rear Suspension / wheel travel Single offset laydown shock with adjustable spring preload / 4.9 in.

Front Brake Type Dual 300mm Petal Disc with 2-Piston Caliper

Rear Brake Type Single 220mm petal disc with single piston caliper

Fuel Tank Capacity 4.1 gal.

Seat Height 31.1

Curb Weight 449.8 lbs.

Overall length 82.7 in.

Overall width 29.9 in.

Overall height 47.2 in.

Color Candy Lime Green, Ebony, Metallic Island Blue

Warranty 12 months

Triumph

TypeLiquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder

Capacity675cc

Bore/Stroke74 x 52.3 mm

Compression Ratio12.65:1

Fuel SystemMultipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with SAITransmission

Final DriveO ring chain

ClutchWet, multi-plate

Gearbox6-speed, close ratio

Frame Aluminum beam twin-spar

Swingarm Braced, twin-sided, aluminum alloy

Front Wheel Cast aluminum alloy 5-spoke 17 x 3.5in

Rear Wheel Cast aluminium alloy 5-spoke, 17 x 5.5in

Front Suspension Kayaba 41mm upside down forks, 120mm travel

Rear Suspension Kayaba monoshock with adjustable preload, 126mm rear wheel travel

Front Brakes Twin 308mm floating discs, Nissin 2-piston sliding calipers

Rear Brakes Single 220mm disc, Nissin single piston caliper

I would say it depends on how you ride. The street triple is a far more
capable sporting mount if you like to run fairly quick or do track days

650R capable for sure but a little tamer and more relaxed

Why didnt you just lower the Speed to suit your inseam ?

I dont know if it could have been lowered enough to make me comfortable. I had a perfectly good sv650 that i liked, then i saw that speed triple and just had to have it. I was on the tips of my boots, almost got blown over one windy day sitting at a red light.

I am 44, well past my Evil Kneivel speed demon days, i doubt i would ever go WOT on the ninja, much less the triple. The ninja has some wind protection and a little bit more of an upright riding position. I havent ridden either bike yet. Im sure the ninja is fun and comfortable, having owned a speed triple, i know those motors are sweet!

Another factor is that i could be riding the ninja this weekend, who knows with the triple, British USA has none in stock, just one R. eximports has 3 09's left, i was in there wed. for a good 15-20 minutes looking at them before anyone bothered to "help" me. That and having read alot of negative comments about them, i would rather not deal with them. I asked the salesman what the OTD price on one was and he said off the top of his head $10,400 maybe a couple hundred less. sounds way too high for an 09 when they have 3 of them!

I am 44, well past my Evil Kneivel speed demon days,

???!!!

I'd buy used as well, and I'd buy the R. That white at Lone Star has a nice exhaust system tuned by AF1. I'd have bought it at this price, but it was quite a bit higher when I was considering.

I think it depends on what you're looking for. ("They got what you're looking for; if that's what you're looking for")

I, for instance, would at this point want another mid-size standard. You may want a stripped down sports bike. That's why they make them both! :clap:

I answered thr question strictly from a "ïs it worth it" perspective and the triumph has features that cost more than the kawasaki - aluminum vs steel frame for instance.

I dont know if it could have been lowered enough to make me comfortable. I had a perfectly good sv650 that i liked, then i saw that speed triple and just had to have it. I was on the tips of my boots, almost got blown over one windy day sitting at a red light.

I am 44, well past my Evil Kneivel speed demon days, i doubt i would ever go WOT on the ninja, much less the triple. The ninja has some wind protection and a little bit more of an upright riding position. I havent ridden either bike yet. Im sure the ninja is fun and comfortable, having owned a speed triple, i know those motors are sweet!

Another factor is that i could be riding the ninja this weekend, who knows with the triple, British USA has none in stock, just one R. eximports has 3 09's left, i was in there wed. for a good 15-20 minutes looking at them before anyone bothered to "help" me. That and having read alot of negative comments about them, i would rather not deal with them. I asked the salesman what the OTD price on one was and he said off the top of his head $10,400 maybe a couple hundred less. sounds way too high for an 09 when they have 3 of them!

I think you have reasons to buy the Kawasaki that have nothing to do with cost. I understand that motor in the triumph is amazing though. 100 hp in 350 lbs seems really attractive. You wouldn't have to ride like a hooligan to appreciate that.

Since you're considering a Street Triple, I'll toss one more bike into the mix. The no-longer-made Buell 1125CR. Central Texas still has some (and they are getting 30 more Buells according to one of the people I know who works there) and the price is going to be well within your price range. Yes, it's more or less orphaned, but you still get the full warranty and the bike is nearly perfect in every way... but don't take my word for it (I'm biased), read the reviews of the bike, or the reviews from the "new to Buell, never thought I would own one" crowd. My favorite is the Ducati guy from the speedzilla forum...

"After taking a close by twisty road to test the suspension adjustments I stopped at a AM/PM for a cup of coffee. I chatted with an older guy about the bike, he really liked it and then I looked at it and was overcome with a wave of happiness. Sounds corny, but all of a sudden I felt really good about the ride improvement, the sound, the rawness of riding with clean wind in your face. This bike brings back the day of riding "real" motorcycles. I haven't felt like the above since I took out my 999R for the first time. I think it has to do with pre expectations, you expect one thing but get a lot more out of the deal than what you bargained for. "

... Now, I haven't ridden a 999R, heck, this is my first sportbike in 30 years of riding, but I love it and since you're looking at sportbikes, you might want to at least give it a look. HD by the way is one of the few companies that will allow you to test ride a bike. So, you can actually put your rear on the seat on the open road... too bad more companies don't do that.

Wayne

Apples to oranges really. The Ninja is a nice bike, but puts out something like 50 hp while the Triumph puts out over 100 at about 350 lbs. The street triple is a hooligan bike for tearing up the tarmac. The Ninja is a nice beginner/commuter bike.

It's not apples and oranges. it's apples + 3000 dollars compared to oranges, but oranges are better. :) LOL

Different bikes.. I've ridden the Triple, we own the 650R. The 650R is a do allot bike, around town, spirited riding on the twisty, day cruise. It's not a pack mule sport tour, it's not a knee dragging wantabe racer bike (though it does make a nice track bike that does quite well with a new rear shock and some fork work)

It can be lowered an inch if needed with a rear shock suspension link, and sliding the forks up in the triple clamp. This of course is a compromise in corning clearance...and suspension action.

The Triple is a blast to ride.. much faster than the 650R. Handling is different as well in the short ride I got to take (about 40 miles)

If I was looking for a Speed Triple like bike, it would not be a speed Triple.. There are too many other $10,000 bikes i would rather own.

If I was looking for a around town, spirited riding on the twisty, day cruise do allot well with good after market support..in a 650r like power bike.... well,,,, it would the Ninja 650R or a Versy’s (same motor) or a Wee strom

The white one at Lonestar does look like a deal. Remember, it's consignment and will go for less than asking, in all likelihood. A properly done lowering job won't hurt handling too much, so long as it doesn't involve one of those goofy lowering links.

As was said above, the Ninja 650 can be made to handle pretty well with a new shock and some fork massaging (a lot less than 3k). The crude (linkageless) rear suspension will always limit it a bit, but it's not bad. Both good bikes, but very different.

I loooove my Ninja 650R. It is my first bike and has been great to me so far. My main problem with the triple is that it has no wind or rain protection. My girlfriend rides a naked SV650 and she gets soaked even in light rain, whereas I can ride in moderate rain and stay pretty dry. The power of the triple is enticing but for practical purposes I love the 650R. If you buy used you could get a 650R for about $3k and still have plenty of money for accessories.

Of course, I am just a bit biased.

Back