• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1:18:26:49

what is it?

I'm buying the 2000 ZRX 1100 that Zorba had listed here a few weeks ago.

695924447_FWPEf-L.jpg

tick tock, tick .. tock, tick ...... tock. Seems like the clock is slowing down, and I am not even the one getting the bike. You are going to have fun with that! Congrats in advance.

Very cool Green Team machine!! I like green anyway....too bad my ST is silver.:eek2: But I like it too. Good luck with the new ride.:clap:

Well, Saturday was an adventurous day for sure! I started out catching an 8am flight to Dallas, where Zorba (Steve) kindly offered to pick me up from the airport, even though it was 1 1/2 hours from his house.

I was very pleased to find a 737 at my gate and not the usual little plane they send you over to Dallas on. The break of a new day from 40,000 feet:

8fb458c0.jpg

I didn't take many pictures on my trip back because I had so many miles to cover, but I did have Steve snap a picture of me before I left on the new bike:

f040f575.jpg

I had programmed in a route into my GPS that was close to 500 miles long, basically following what I could tell to be the best roads on the map.

Headed south from Sulphur Springs on some great roads, over to Gun Barrel City, where I grabbed some lunch yum, yum! (Why don't we have these in Lubbock?!)

b0562b67.jpg

After lunch I made my way over to Cleburne, where I grabbed the latest tag:

0deb78a1.jpg

From here on I didn't really take many pictures, as I had a lot of ground to cover still and the only stops I made where for fuel. I headed up to Mineral Wells and headed West on 180. I met up with a group of riders - a couple of harleys, a goldwing, and a few other sport touring machines. I rode along with them for a while, then the turned of and headed north and I continued on. Well my fuel was getting low and right around Caddo I passed a gas station with old pumps (pay inside) and a line. Well I didn't want to waste time with that, so I headed to the next town.... hmm.

Well five miles out of Caddo I hit reserve, and a sign said 39 miles to Breckenridge. I thought about turning around, but I made the decision to just try to eak out the last drops from the tank. I got in a good tuck and just babied the throttle. Started getting pretty nervous as the gas gauge was sitting on empty about 10 miles out, and it was getting dark fast. Just as I was coming into town she finally died on me. I coasted downhill as much as I could and then pulled over under a street lamp. I knew the fuel pickup was on the left, so I got a good hold of the handlebar and the grab handle and leaned it over as far as I could to the left. GPS said there was gas .86 miles up the road. A little cranking and she started up again, and I barely made it to the gas station! It died again and i coasted up to the pump!

Wasn't going to do that again. So I fueled up and headed out. Next part of the story includes one of Fischer County's finest. I came up on an RV in the hills and he moved over to the passing lane. I went to zip around him and discovered a sheriff right in front of him. To my amazement the sheriff just pulled off and didn't come after me. Well after my next fuel/coffee stop I took off up hwy 70 and this same sheriff comes by the other way. I saw him pull a u-turn and hit the lights. Said he got me on radar doing 73 in a 65 (night limit). Not too bad but I still don't want a ticket. He ended up being very nice and let me off with a warning. Warned me about the deer and hogs and let me on my way.

I really appreciated the warning - because as it turns out, I was about to ride right through deerland. Luckily these dual headlights put out an incredible amount of light. I saw so many dear and hogs (both dead and alive) that I slowed down to about 55 and spent the next 2 hours just focusing on the side of the road. It was mentally tiring, and I was starting to get a bit chilly. Finally made it home at 10:30. While I was falling asleep that night I actually awoke 3 or 4 times with a start thinking I was about to hit a deer :eek2: Then I'd realize I was actually in bed and would fall asleep again :yawn:

Anyway, overall it was a great day, hit some fantastic roads and I love the new bike. Made a quick video which can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgU-9AqqXHU

The next day Rangerscott came over on his VFR to say hi and go on a quick ride with me. First stop was the new tag:

IMG_8389.jpg

Then we stopped and checked out some retired planes :pilot:

IMG_8391.jpg

Went for a little loop which turned out to be a little long, then made it back just before some nasty weather came in. Overall it was a great weekend and I'm super happy to have two green machines in the garage now!

Dude....Jack in the box is NOT good food! Never. Never. Never. However, if you are going to be on the bike and must stop in there, I'd highly recommend the Chili Cheese Fries. They are tasty and you need to make sure your next town is less than 5 miles and they have adequate facilities....or you bring something of your own to clean up with! :mrgreen:

Sweet ride, how do you like it so far? Sounds like you are already getting into trouble with the law that the little 250 would have kept you out of. :mrgreen:

It's definitely not fine dining but as far as fast food joints go, I like it!

And I'm sure I would have been doing at least 73 on the 250 as well on that stretch... hopefully I don't get into any bigger trouble than that on it though. My ticket on the 250 about a year ago was for 24 over :doh:

Back