• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Latest motorcycle sales numbers - down!

R

Red Brown

As to be expected, motorcycles sales on all classes have plunged. I wonder what the future holds?

It looks like 125 cc and under have remained firm relative to the rest of the groups. The report does state that:

"Generally affordable, fuel-efficient dual-purpose motorcycles declined the least, by 24 percent. The off-highway market went down the most, by 39.7 percent, some of which is linked to the government's ban on youth models due to a controversial new law regarding lead content in consumer products."

RB

I was at the motorcycle show today in Dallas. When the baby boomers quit riding, sales will take another huge hit(especiall HD). The aging riders outnumbered everyone else. In 10 years, the motorcycle demographics will drastically change.

I was at the motorcycle show today in Dallas. When the baby boomers quit riding, sales will take another huge hit(especiall HD). The aging riders outnumbered everyone else. In 10 years, the motorcycle demographics will drastically change.

Your only going to ride another 10 years ?;-)

in 10 years can I have your bike? In 10 years it will still be newer than my RS is now! :rofl:

Not a surprise, even Wal-Mart sale figures are down. . . and bikes are a necessity for just a few.

Not a surprise, even Wal-Mart sale figures are down. . ..

"Still, Wal-Mart delivered its highest operating income growth in nearly a decade."

Sales were down due to more aggressive price reductions and due to international currencies. Traffic count and market share were both up. Profit was up over 3% to more than $3 Billion.

4th Qtr (nov - dec - jan) is projected to be flat (+ / - 1%).

The way I read the charts the plunge started in 1993 and still driopping today. Heck by 2013 I might be able to get good deal on left over 2003 stock.

Does this suggest that mcl's in total ridership (at least in the US) is starting a major decline?

The exception might be in emerging markets, where scooters/mcl's are still the staple for urban transportation. But then, with the rising tide of economic global prosperity, even in mainland China, folks are preferring the car over the traditional bicycle/scooter option. Perhaps an electric option here...

The next 15-20 years, I see the trend for smaller, more compact mcl's including multi-purpose dual-sports, light-weight sport-touring and perhaps battery powered two to three wheeled vehicles that will have serious torque w/finally real long-distance driving potential.

I just can't imagine seeing too many 70+ year old riding porky bikes..if the demographic shift from the younger----older group continues.

RB

i don't know if someone else mentioned it or not, but a brand new Kawasaki dealer opened up in Humble a couple years ago. it was a very small dealer, but new building and all. i went by there a week ago to see if they had any new KLR's and they were shut down. made me sad. i wonder if this is going on all over or what. there are tons of bikes in my area and would have thought it could have supported a small dealer with no problem, but i guess not.

maybe then HD will truely regret axing Buell, or maybe they'll resurect the brand

maybe then HD will truely regret axing Buell, or maybe they'll resurect the brand

I heard from several Buell die-hards that Yamaha was contemplating buying them and or it's technology. I can't understand that considering the depth of Yamaha's R&D and quality products.

Although Indian did make an impressive return with private capital.

Talk is cheap.

RB

You guys are kidding yourselves, the Baby Boomers will live forever... They are immortal and will never quit buying Harley merchandise and playing dressup. :lol2:

biker_dudes_in_leather.jpg

I always want to ask people like that, "so were will you and the other village people be performing today?" or "Which way to the Blue oyster Bar?"

6a00d834515db069e201156f820de1970c-800wi

I remember when I turned 30 I realized I wasn't cool anymore and new clothes were not going to help. The girls at the bar will still call you sir. Why don't old Baby Boomers learn this. If you want a Harley, ride a Harley, but for the love of god, stop playing dress up like a reject from an S&M club. Plus it's OK to smile while riding, no one believes your tough, you look like you are one cheeseburger away from a heart attack.

I heard from several Buell die-hards that Yamaha was contemplating buying them and or it's technology. I can't understand that considering the depth of Yamaha's R&D and quality products.

Although Indian did make an impressive return with private capital.

Talk is cheap.

RB

but can you imagine a Buell chasis with an R6 motor in it, or maybe Yamaha will produce a sweet sport twin to stick in there.

An R6 motor in a Buell would definately be impressive.

Personally, if any one would be a good fit, I would say Honda. Honda could turn Buell into a power house. Not because of the motors but the R&D could eliminate any problem areas that Buell owners complained about and build a seriously advanced bike.

I'm starting to think I won't be happy till I completely derail this thread. Sorry OP.

I'm just going to sit on the porch and yell at the kids to stay off my lawn. With my best hemingway beard and a pack of smokes. If I make it to 70, then I'm going to start smoking again. Why not?

hwsg.jpg

I'm just going to sit on the porch and yell at the kids to stay off my lawn. With my best hemingway beard and a pack of smokes. If I make it to 70, then I'm going to start smoking again. Why not?

hwsg.jpg

My role models would be the old guys in "Secondhand Lions". Keep the 12 leaning against the wall behind the rocking chair for wandering door to door types.

I watched that movie this weekend. Those guys are definately my role models from here on out. I really like how one was always telling the other to cover him.

hwsg.jpg

What was that movie with Clint Eastwood...I think Gran Torino? It was about a bitter white retired police officer living alone in the hood next to an Asian family. He had to fight a turf war against the rival gangs as well as befriending an Asian family living next to him.

RB

I would get a photo for proof if I saw those knuckleheads on a Connie. I'd be the goober in Hi-Vis in the center. Don't even get me started on the hi-vis knuckleheads either. The only thing goofier is matching racing leathers or a stich suit :lol2: (Have I missed anyone?)

I loved Grand Torino also. The world needs more grumpy old men.
gran_torino.jpg

Back