• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding solo in the Forest

Reaction score
Hey. Just wondering if it is a bad idea for a beginner dirt rider--but experienced street rider--to ride alone in SHNF trails? Just can't seem to convince any of my buddies to get a dualsport. Maybe I can start off on an easy trail. Is there such a thing in SHNF?

I'm not trying to be a champion racer or anything. Just want to have some extra fun, when I go camping in SHNF.

On a weekend you could probably find someone out there to tag along with. Also you might find enough people that you don't feel all alone. On a weekday, make sure you have someone with you. Or maybe a Spot Messenger.

I'm not sure I would go it alone, you could be a long walk from the trail head if something happens.
Just post up when you want to go, I'm sure at least one other TWTer will be up for it.

That's a tough question. The wise and careful money would almost always be on not riding alone in many venues. But, the wise and careful money probably isn't anywhere near riding a motorcycle under most conditions anyway.

If I limited my dirt motor trips/rides and my mountainbike trips over my lifetime to the times that I could muster up another rider to go with, I would only have had about 1/3 of the trips experienced. I go a lot. On my solo rides and trips, I usually rode more within an envelope of safety and exposure...most of the time. I'm also a believer in protective equipment like body armor and the whole shooting match. Careful almost anal bike preparation and service helps too...along with having some tools and flat fixing equipment.

I've ridden in Utah, Colorado, SoCal, and other remote areas by myself for decades and didn't have any life threatening situations arise to speak of...even before widespead availability of cell phones...that often wouldn't have had service anyway.

On the SHNF, I used to race the Caney Creek Enduro there. Do they have a Ranger station anywhere in the area you'll ride? I've been in areas where you can advise a ranger or BLM rep where you'll be, and that you'll check back in when you're through. The caveat is that you must obviously follow through and check back in. I also stay in touch with my wife in areas where I can get cell or pay phone coverage these days. I tell her what general area I'll be in and when I'll check back in. If I dont, she'll call out the cavalry. Yeah, I might still lay out on a trail for awhile somewhere, but hopefully not for days...LOL!

It's a hard call, but it's one only you can make. Do you have kids? Do you have other responsibilities of a personal kind that might hinge on you not getting back? You just have to weigh those against not enjoying some aspects of life. And please understand I'm not trying to get "preachy"...it's just the way I've dealt with it. Now I see these emergency GPS locaters that are available. Lots of pros and cons about those, but pretty neat when a real emergency pops up.

Is it easy to get lost?
Maybe a GPS with a topo map download would be a good idea until you get used to the lay-of-the-land there. I'm taking it that the trails probably aren't well marked...or are some maps with identifiable land marks available?

Hey. Just wondering if it is a bad idea for a beginner dirt rider--but experienced street rider--to ride alone in SHNF trails?
Yes, bad idea. It would be better to hit a few of the MX tracks in the area to practice alone rather than the trails.

Just can't seem to convince any of my buddies to get a dualsport.?
Dualsport or dirt? There is places to do both in the forest.

Maybe I can start off on an easy trail. Is there such a thing in SHNF?
Trails are all about the same, the longer trails will have you fighting sand longer which will make it harder especially for a new dirt rider.

I'm not trying to be a champion racer or anything. Just want to have some extra fun, when I go camping in SHNF.
Post up when you will be out there, you could have 1, 2 or several others that will ride with you.

Is it easy to get lost?
Yes and no. You will have no problem staying on a trail. The problem may come with which trail you head out on and the number of intersecting trails which could cause you to get a little disoriented but not really lost, that is if you stay on the trails. Maps are available on line.

I know that I should not, but sometimes it is an adventure with doing out back by yourself. BUT, things can happen. Carry a spot tracking device to be able to summon for help if you need.

BTW: Some folks carry their spot in their tank bag. Fat lot of good that does if you have spilled and hurt yourself and can't get to your bike. I have mine strapped to my riding jacket so that I can reach it if hurt.

If you ride slow these trails really are pretty easy. There are maps available online and usually at the trailheads. I ride with my 2 young'uns and have had no issues with bike failure, flats, or injuries... (knock on wood).

Be aware that right now hunting season is open and there are potentially crazy people with guns in the woods. I am going to wait to go ride again until into January. I know we have just as much right to ride as they have to hunt but I don't want to give them a chance to practice at a moving target... some may take it as a challenge. Of course this is just my attempt at joking but I hunt in the public woods and have had some crazy guys actually fire their weapon in my general direction just for the fun of it.

I rode in the woods for years alone , Not racing just riding . Never got far enough away from my truck that I couldnt walk back if I had to , I did a couple times thru the years .I would get my truck drive as close as I could and push the bike out of the woods and load it to come home if something broke . If I parked in the designated parking area I would leave a note on the dash with contact info and the general direction I went riding . I dont ride in the woods anymore , It's too restricted anymore . My cell phone used to work anywhere before digital came along , now its like an old sprint phone , when you pass the city limit sign the no signal lights up . SEYA

Hey. Just wondering if it is a bad idea for a beginner dirt rider--but experienced street rider--to ride alone in SHNF trails? Just can't seem to convince any of my buddies to get a dualsport. Maybe I can start off on an easy trail. Is there such a thing in SHNF?

3 weeks ago I was in this exact same position. Been away from dirt riding for almost 25 years, didn't know anything about the SHNF trails either. As said previously, I didn't get lost but I did get disorientated once. No gasoline or darkness concerns so I just kept riding and eventually got back on track. Ready next time as I now have an cheapie Garmin eTrex handheld GPS.
Older used unit, B&W and no maps. You can find them on eBay for ~$20. I will mark my start point at trailhead and always be able to navigate back to that spot.

I rode for about 2 hours and only saw only one other bike on the trails. I went down once in loose sand and got both legs pinned under the bike. A street legal DR650 with 5 gallons of gas, tools and water is no lightweight. I knew nobody else was around to help me so I finally managed to free myself. Actually was very pinned and helpless until the exhaust pipe started burning my leg. Adrenaline works wonders, ended up with 2nd & 3rd degree burns though. (Note to self, if your burn doesn't hurt anymore it is serious).

I was still able to drive the 60+ miles of slab back home but this got me thinking also of being stranded in the forest, either bike unrideable or with injurys. I forgot to check if any cell phone coverage there to call for help. If there is cell coverage I plan to join AAA and get their premium membership ($81 a year) which covers bikes. They will tow up to 100 miles so that will be my fallback to get home if any problem arises. I would only have to push the bike to the nearest numbered fireroad for pickup and free tow home.

_

AMA offers free bike towing with membership for 39 bucks a year . SEYA

But AMA roadside assistance only tows you for 35 miles. That would put me in The Woodlands, 30 miles short of home.

But AMA service is very impressive.
No extra charge either for additional family members which is great.

_

As mentioned, if you must; do it on a weekend when you may find someone to ride with... Or post up & someone may join you out there to show you around.

Earlier this year I decided to chance it alone for a quick loop on a weekday & severly sprained my left ankle after hitting a particularly deep rut at about ~20 mph halfway through an 11 mile loop, Needless to say rotating my foot 180 degrees backward & wedging it between the swingarm & side of the rut stopped me dead & I was sure I broke my ankle:doh: The last six miles of that ride where kinda rough to say the least.... Thank God for good boots & electric start :clap:

Lesson learned... I wont be doing that again (well at least maybe not at that pace;-))

I'd like to do some trail riding in SH as well but would prefer going with someone who knows the ropes. Where's the best place to park, & enter the trails, etc. If anyone would like to put a ride together this Saturday after Thanksgiving let me know.:-P

Last edited:
Among the many other dangers is the real possibility of getting lost in SHNF. I did the first (and so far only) time I rode there and was by myself. It was during the summer and I also ran out of water. Not a good idea to replicate that stupidity.

I am looking for a beginner to ride with there and would be happy to tag along. PM me and we can hook up.

Among the many other dangers is the real possibility of getting lost in SHNF. I did the first (and so far only) time I rode there and was by myself. It was during the summer and I also ran out of water. Not a good idea to replicate that stupidity.

I am looking for a beginner to ride with there and would be happy to tag along. PM me and we can hook up.

Getting lost is the easiest thing to prevent for riding alone. Old Garmin etrex B&W or other small cheap used handheld GPS. Mark your starting point (or point you want to return to) and never worry about getting lost. And will never run out of water,gas or daylight due to being lost.

Also if your bike breaks down and you are forced to walk out of the forest you will know exactly where to return and find it.

_

There are numerous sources for maps of the trails, that along with a gps will certainly reduce the odds of being completely lost. The trails wind out thru the woods but there are roads and civilization all around it, might take some doing but you should be able to 'find' your way out. If ever I have to ride on the roads to get back to my truck that will certainly be my story... I was lost.

What if you break the GPS during a fall?;-)

Chances are you wouldn't need the GPS then because at that point you wouldn't be able to walk or ride anyway. So back to the mercy of someone passing by. Older Garmin B&W handheld GPS's are practically bulletproof. But newer ones with all the fancy bells, whistles, bigger color touch screens, etc. are more prone to damage so your point well taken for those.

_

I am also a relatively new rider to motorcycling in SHNF but I have ridden mountain bikes for years. I have found that mountain bike riding skills transfer pretty well to forest riding. I rode many times alone on the mountain bike and I would have no problem riding alone on the motorcycle. I just wouldn't push as hard as when I am with others.

I have also found that having a good map works just fine. There are enough markers such as road crossings, bridges and intersections that I never have a problem finding out where I am as long as I carry a map. I have colored in trail maps for both East and West side with Acrobat Pro and everytime I go for a ride I print out a new map. Here are a couple links that should work to the maps I appended too.

West Side
East Side

Last edited:
Back