• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 Dallas Cycle World International Motorcycle Show Photo Log

I demo'd:

Spyder RT
Kawasaki Nomad
Yamaha FZ6R
Star 1300T

Only spent about 2 hours inside... New Duck is a sexy beast

I took my gear with me, but ended up not demoing anything. :doh:

How did you guys like the FZ6R. MCN gave it a rave review. Sounds like it may be a better bike than the spec sheet would lead you to believe.

How did you guys like the FZ6R. MCN gave it a rave review. Sounds like it may be a better bike than the spec sheet would lead you to believe.

I rode both the FZ6R and Ninja 650R. Overall I was surprised at the difference. The FZ6R was very smooth and turbine like. The seat was decent, the transmission shifted very smoothly. The power band was pretty flat. I didn't like the tiny windshield, I'd like at least a little bug protection.

I was surprised to find the Ninja 650 had a transmission that seemed like it was made by Harley Davidson. Very stiff, with each shift accompanied by a loud clunk. Totally different than the FZ6R or the very smooth and easy to use transmission on my Ninja 250. My toe was sore from shifting at the end of the 30 minute demo ride.

The Ninja 650R had a much lower pitched sound, again more Harley like compared to the turbine like FZ6R. The 650R seemed to have torque curve that favored the lower rpm ranges a bit. I heard two Harley like barks on deacceleration of the 650R.

I preferred the Ninja 650R seat and windshield.

I suspect actual measured performance differences between the two bikes would fall within the error band of the measurements.

Both bikes give you that nice (to me) 'sit up and beg' ergonomics that favor riding past the nearest bar. The FZ6R may be slightly more upright, but the difference is small if it exists at all.

I need a new bike (my 250 is sick) and I'm torn between getting a 650 and setting it up as a little sport tourer with hard bags and a larger windshield, or just saying 'budget be dammed' and going with the FJR or ST-1300. :doh:

There were demo bikes from Yamaha, Kawasaki, and CanAm Spyder.

My bad... I knew there were demo rides ( I did demo the Connie, and trust me, you should have too!), I was mainly just making a comment to the OP to see if he did any of the demo rides himself. Sorry bout that.:chug:

Starting about mid-page here there are some different folks opinions on the demo rides. It would be kinda nice to get them all in one place. I know that Butte really liked your comments Jim. She rode the Ninja 650 but was glad to hear about the FZ6 too.

Back