• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tent Camping at TWS

vtwin

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing the 11/28 RideSmart Trackday at TWS but noticed that hotel rates seemed to have doubled from when I was down there this summer (A&M vs UT and Turkey day I guess). Is there a grassy area for tent camping at the track or just in the paddock area?
Also I assume the restrooms are open through the night Friday into Saturday?
If the only camping area is in the paddock area, what are the rules about a small camp stove for evening meal / morning coffee?
Thanks!

Last time I went down there, I stayed in my truck as the gates were closed and there weren't a lot of places outside to set up camp. That's been a few years though, don't know how they are running it now.

I have camped at MSR and Oak Hill though.

They usually post gate tiimes so you have to be in by closing time and then you're stuck in until morning when the gates open back up.

There's some grassy areas for a tent, but then you're a long walk from the bathrooms or any other form of life. Best bet would be to set up a free-standing tent in the paddock area - covered from any rain and close to rest rooms, but the lights and noise might bother you since there's no real "lights out" time. You can stew up whatever you want, some people bring a full BBQ pit/grill. Just watch for fumes and fluids around you and if possible just move away from the pit when you light up your camp stove to be safe.

They usually post gate tiimes so you have to be in by closing time and then you're stuck in until morning when the gates open back up.

There's some grassy areas for a tent, but then you're a long walk from the bathrooms or any other form of life. Best bet would be to set up a free-standing tent in the paddock area - covered from any rain and close to rest rooms, but the lights and noise might bother you since there's no real "lights out" time. You can stew up whatever you want, some people bring a full BBQ pit/grill. Just watch for fumes and fluids around you and if possible just move away from the pit when you light up your camp stove to be safe.

what she said, and I think there's a $10 - $15 per night fee

On a game weekend, no hotel within driving distance will not be overpriced. I have camped in bed of truck, tent under garage, and backseat of truck. All are do-able easily. Staying at the track WILL be noisy. 'Lights out' wasn't really policed last ridesmart event I attended...or any other over the last 7 or so years really. Lotsa folk come to wrench on their bikes, socialize, etc. the eve. before. I'm not knocking anyone, just being honest.

Still, unless you can split a room with a few buds, it's by far the cheapest route.

During the LSTD/CMRA race weekend in October, I noticed that people camped in the grassy area right behind the grandstands/spectator area and within 50 yards of the bathrooms.

Back