• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anybody know this road?

Thanks, Reuben - I hadn't thought of using Google's street view :doh:

I've been on the south end once upon a time and have seen it several times - simply haven't had the time to run over the whole length. May find out on the 12th.:rider:

:rider: Looks like a fun little road! Street view is awesome, especially now that they are getting more of the rural areas, really helps for route planning. You can usually tell by satellite view, but street view is more definite. I've been on more than one ride where we ended up unintentionally riding some dirt. The worst was when an entire "road" turned out to be more like a river. Being on a ninja 250, I turned around at that point :)

:rider: Looks like a fun little road! Street view is awesome, especially now that they are getting more of the rural areas, really helps for route planning. You can usually tell by satellite view, but street view is more definite. I've been on more than one ride where we ended up unintentionally riding some dirt. The worst was when an entire "road" turned out to be more like a river. Being on a ninja 250, I turned around at that point :)

I hate to further side-track this thread (which is about encouraging folks to come to the LDDave BBQ ride!!!!) - I must commiserate with you. I led a small group (5 or 6 bikes - one of which was a Harley Road Glide) onto a 6 miles stretch that was large gravel. It was exceedingly rough - I was on my Yamaha XS850 and on the pegs most of the way. Harley rider sternly warned me to NOT do that again! I want to avoid a similar experience next Saturday.

Let's all get folks to join us for the ride to BBQ and have a great time.:eat:

I'm glad you posted this. It would have never crossed my mind to make sure the roads are paved when planning a route. The weather will play a factor for me, but I am planning on coming down with at least 1 more rider.

It just dawned on me that I didn't derail this thread - because it ain't the LDDave BBQ thread :doh:

I hope I'm better focused when I ride than when I type :eek2:

Tony - I hope the weather is good for all. You're coming from my original home town. :sun:

Headed South from 159, it turns to limestone between the first two 90° turns. I have a friend that owns 100 acres between them. If you zoom in to that area, you will see a triangular pond, 10 pound Largemouths are pretty common in it.

I have run most of that road, typical gravel country road for that area.

Headed South from 159, it turns to limestone between the first two 90° turns. I have a friend that owns 100 acres between them. If you zoom in to that area, you will see a triangular pond, 10 pound Largemouths are pretty common in it.

I have run most of that road, typical gravel country road for that area.

Thanks for the "report from the field" - the best G2 possible.

How long would you say the gravel portion is?

I believe it turns back to asphalt around Beeler Rd.

Its good hard graded gravel , I have ridden my Duc on worse with no problum . It may be better now , I havent been thru there in a couple years . Shorty's is on 159 at the north end , He sure complained a few years back when he had to raise the price of cold beer from a dollar to a buck and a quarter . Like I said its been a while . SEYA

Typical gravel road for that area, rode it all the time as a kid
as I grew up in Industry and had friends in Nelsonville, that area
has some great gravel roads, and as long as we did not ride on
the FM roads the local law let us run the gravel roads all we wanted
as kids. As a 12-15 year old I rode those roads on almost a daily
basis

Its good hard graded gravel , I have ridden my Duc on worse with no problum . It may be better now , I havent been thru there in a couple years . Shorty's is on 159 at the north end , He sure complained a few years back when he had to raise the price of cold beer from a dollar to a buck and a quarter . Like I said its been a while . SEYA

Must have been a while David, Shorty's has been gone for some time now.

Back