• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Murphys' return

Reaction score
I may make this pilgrimage an annual event. I had sorta hoped I would make a trip back in the space of the year since my first visit last veterans day. Never got around to it though.

The weather was even better than last year, sunny and warm. Still a bit bummed out having attended the ft hood memorial ceremony the day before. Needed to unwind a bit though, so I took kinda the long way, south from paige east toward giddings, then back south toward winchester. A friend sent me this pic, can't place the name, and its not on the way to winchester, but i won't deny being in the neighborhood while i was in the neighborhood :trust:

24864678_iQstX-M.jpg

plenty of space to do that though, might get some jail time out of it

710696942_4Bx7L-M.jpg

I did take some more pics of the joint this time. As a result of last years ride and the generosity of a fellow twtxer (thanks Hardy) the 'ol Gs was sportin a new look.

710693742_A7veS-M.jpg

A gentle reminder to those barn raised folk..........

710691123_zwiwm-M.jpg

Inside, not much had changed from last year, not a bad thing IMO

710687690_RkHnP-M.jpg

The steakhouse still shares space with the post office

710689083_3NfAM-M.jpg

I did change things up somewhat. I didn't arrive until 2 pm, so the crowd picked up quickly. I ordered a smaller portion, even so, that's one large 10oz ribeye steak.

710703400_PA5Qc-M.jpg

Had a tough cut last year, it was good, but maybe I ordered too rare (medium), so this time i moved up to medium, and it was much more tender. I still like a little pink in the middle though, and this was past that. Gotta whine about somethin.

710685542_SjyWm-L.jpg

10oz steak vs 12 0z beer.
710684962_FzReg-M.jpg

It was the perfect size, as long as some fasting was done starting the day before.

The salad bar didn't seem up to last year's standards, but who cares when you've got a steak that size to contend with? from a price standpoint, I think I paid a buck or 2 more so there might have been some price increase.

One of the highlights of this ride from austin, is a fair amount of d/s riding on the way back into town.

710697379_m7ZMp-M.jpg

There were even some large mud puddles to play in

710696316_zWNFJ-M.jpg

You can usually get though the park without paying, not that I would ever attempt so shameful an act. I didn't spend much time there with twilight's encroachment.

710702023_TPbhR-M.jpg

Overall I can't think of many more pleasant RTE destinations in central texas. I intend to dedicate myself to making it there at least once before veterans day 2010. :sun:

I like Murphy's too. I'm convinced you order x-sized steak and they bring out the first one they stab from the fridge. There's no such thing as a 'small' there.

Looks like you had a great ride. :rider: :eat:

Back