• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lucky To Be Posting This

Roy

Reaction score
First Name
Roy
So shook up I posted in the wrong forum :giveup:

I hit a deer this morning.

I packed for 3 days getting ready for a trip south to Key West, Florida with good friend on ADVrider and it was all over before I got 2 miles from my house. A herd of deer(s)!! not one, not two but three of the **** things. I nailed the third one. I did not go down, impact was at about 50 mph. Bandit is in need of some parts, deer I hope is dead or dying somewhere. I could not see where he went. My bandit upper fairing is toast, Givi sidebag completely busted open, givi side rack peeled back darn near off the bike. I was able to split the 1st two, both brakes locked up and some what sideways, I could not miss the third one. His head hit the upper fairing just under the headlight portion, my knee was into his side and the Givi sidebag finished the *** critter off. I think it was his head that busted open the Givi bag, never seen one bust open like that. Impact noise was loud kinda like hitting a car, I should know what that sounds like too. I remember it like it was a minute ago. It was in slow motion and I had just thought to myself slow up a bit deer could still be out. Sun was up and it was beautiful out. Aerostitch Darien pants with armor saved my knee cap. The side of the deer felt like a solid wall on impact. I seen the suckers eyes when we made contact. I still can't believe I rode through it. A herd of deer on a sunday morning on Big Creek road. I took some pics so enjoy at my expense. I am glad I am able to post this.

Looking good at this point about to pull out on an adventure:
IMG00055-20091227-0743.jpg

IMG00056-20091227-0743.jpg

Not so good less than 5 minutes later and less than 4 miles total, trip over!!
IMG00058-20091227-0804.jpg

IMG00059-20091227-0804.jpg

IMG00060-20091227-0804.jpg

Total trip mileage
IMG00057-20091227-0803.jpg

Ya'll watch it out there these critters are dangerous.

Re: Lucky to be posting this...

You are indeed a lucky man! Really glad you pulled thru ok and staying on the bike is an attribute to your riding skills. Take care and I hope those aches get better soon.

I would like to think doing 10 trackdays a year helped me in this. I also raced in WERA for 5 years. It all reminded me of dodging downed riders and bikes at the track. But to be honest it was the good lord who was riding that motorcycle this morning and that comes from a not so religious guy.

I am still so shook up I posted this thread under "bikes" instead of the "Bandit forum". Forgive me.

Re: Lucky to be posting this...

Thank God you did not go down.... I was riding with a group of guys outside Boerne one
evening when a herd crossed in front of us. We all got through except the guy behind me.
Buck came up the guys fairing (we were hauling) and impacted him directly........
He did not survive it and after thirty years I have never forgotten it....
Bikes and parts can be replaced, human body parts are harder to fix.
Thankfully you were bright enough to be wearing good equipment...
Thanks for sharing this incident, Might save some other rider some injuries.

Re: Lucky to be posting this

Anyone know where I might locate a upper cowl, black. New they are $400 :eek2: Do they not sell the V35 bags individually anymore? Rack prices have jumped in 3 years also:eek2: Looks like the deer just cost me $1000 bucks. Could have been worse is what I keep telling myself.

I'm glad you're OK.

A deer strike is one of my biggest fears riding. At least with cars you have an idea of where they are. Deer? They just 'appear' like magic.

Roy, that kneecap, had it been broken, would have made that $1000 seem cheap!!!!!:giveup:

I have a VGC upper cowl black I might be willing to part with. PM sent.

Roy,
Glad to hear you made it though the encounter. I hate them , , , , Deer. I hit one in '97 at night near Winnfield, Louisiana on my '95 R11GS and came out lucky. Missed one by inches in central Texas this last summer at high noon! I am very afraid of them things.

So shook up I posted in the wrong forum :giveup:

:tab No worries. Because of the timing of the first two responses from the other thread, those two posts got deleted after I merged the two threads so that your post would be the first one in the new thread.

I hit a deer this morning.

:tab VERY glad it was not worse for you! Back at the beginning of October, I T-boned one on my KLR at about 35-40mph and went down on my left side, snapping my ankle. I know what you mean about them feeling solid when you hit them! I am just now back to walking without too much of a limp. The ankle had to be screwed back together :doh: I can at least ride again! Here in Texas, we are over run with deer. A few years back, I hit one in a manner similar to you where it came down the side of the bike. I was on my R1150GS doing about 65mph. Even the glancing blow did a good deal of damage to the bike and smashed my leg into the side of the bike. Fortunately, I was able to continue the ride because we were wayyy out in the middle of nowhere in West Texas near Big Bend.

:tab Did the insurance guy question whether or not you hit a deer? My adjuster wanted proof since there was no dead deer. He eased up when I showed him the deer hair stuck between the tire and rim on the front wheel. Other than that though, there was nothing to prove I had hit a deer instead of just losing control of my bike and crashing.

:tab Sorry about the trip having to be called off :-? But like you said, you are lucky to be posting... :bow:

Ouch! Glad you are ok and the + side is at least it happened early and so close to home.

Yea that was a bit funny.:mrgreen:

Update I finally went out and looked at the Bandit closer. Saints were getting beat again I was feeling like crap. Started taking things off and said this ain't so bad. Givi racks are toast of course. Fairing could be salvaged. Here comes the drill and zip-ties and we are back in business.:mrgreen: Went for a spin back to the sight. And seems ole Bandito killed ole Bambi
IMG00061-20091227-1540.jpg

dunno how i missed it this morning. Could have been I was looking on the wrong side of the road either way it is dead. Big Bandit lives on. I went home dug in my closet for those ancient Wolkman softbags i have. From there I re-packed the Bandit and will be heading out again in the morning at daybreak. contacted my friends and they said they would wait on me in Tallahasse, Florida. Bandit looks trim in softbags.:mrgreen:

IMG00065-20091227-1708.jpg

The franken repair, notice the hair still attached, it is everywhere.

IMG00067-20091227-1709.jpg

Roy, glad you made it through and are going to be able to continue on your trip...

I think deer worry me more than cagers....

Roy, glad you made it through and are going to be able to continue on your trip...

I think deer worry me more than cagers....

unfortunately I have been hit by both in the past 5 years.:giveup:

It is great to hear you are okay. It is better that you're not letting it spoil your trip.

Bandit=1
Vinny=0 (literally)

Wow thats sucks man, glad the deer got the worst of it. Florida Keys eh,, a few friends and myself are hedding down that way this Febuary can`t wait.

:tab Zip ties are your friend! If it weren't for them, my KLR would be in pieces! :lol2: Glad you will be able to make the trip, hopefully without further problems.

On the road again!!! Good on Ya, Roy!! Glad you came out of this without any more damage than you did.

Deer are lethal to motorists and help the spread of lyme disease. Sounds like a public safety hazard that needs to be addressed and put them on the extinction list!

Glad you are OK. Sorry about your bike. Some of my friends think I am crazy, but I do not ride at night or early in the morning. Alabama, like MS, is full of deer. I see them by the side of the road all the time - dead and alive.
There are all kinds of four legged critters that come out at night.

Back