• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #22.....Hands

Bob Dahringer

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Ok kids, this may seem a bit obscure (or not), but lets see some pictures of hands; our hands tell stories of who we are and our experiences, so wether you or your subject have gnarly bear paws or hands that belong on a Hummel figurine, lets see 'em.

As always, this is a photo assignment, so try to work on all the concepts such as framing/composition, lighting, depth of field, shadows, lack of distractions, and message to be conveyed.
All are encouraged to submit a photo, you dont have to be a camera guru. ;-)

Use this thread to post examples and to get critique. A different thread will be opened up for your actual entry submission.

This assignment will run from 0001 Wednesday, 6 January to 2400 Monday, 18 January, 2010. All shots submitted must be taken between now and then. Another thread will be opened up for you to post your actual entry. All forum posting rules apply.

Hopefully y'all dont this is too far out there......:loco: :scratch:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Photo assignment #22.....Hands

"Coffee break"

100_6172.jpg

Hah.... Here I was thinking that this challenge was going to centered around firearms. This one is going to be a lot of fun.

Hans?

moleman.jpg

was holding the boy this evening and the camera was in reach.
Please let me know what you think

just cropped...

759902055_tzMRS-L.jpg

759901781_kauxh-L.jpg

759901274_M4FLG-L.jpg

759901155_u7ADi-L.jpg

playing with the effects in PS elements...

759901476_VthyF-L.jpg

759902114_sWZdR-L.jpg

759901915_MQEvY-L.jpg

759901607_gqGWp-L.jpg

Now how is someone supposed to compete against that!?!?!

I like #1, #5 (wish it was more exposed though), and #7 nice B&W conversion. :thumb:

Now how is someone supposed to compete against that!?!?!

I like #1, #5 (wish it was more exposed though), and #7 nice B&W conversion. :thumb:

thanks! :)
I was playing with the settings, but he squirms so much there's no way I was getting the same shot twice

Jason, nice shots..... For me, the last one is headed in the right direction. B&W, shadows, your ring, both hands and Colt giving the "OK" sign is a bonus.

:doh: Why is it that a lot of cartoon characters are always a little sparse in the finger department? :huh: :shrug: :mrgreen:

Take it you don't frequent ADV. A lot of the hands over there only have one finger. :lol2:

This contest is not at all obscure! I take pics of hands pretty frequently for an amatuer.

This first one is my favorite; not simply for that image. It was just one of an afternoon impromptu photo shoot that Jamy and I had one fine pajama day.

th_PreciousHandsatWork.jpg

This second pic is a link to a slideshow of some of my "work".

Figures. Photobucket is having technical difficulties right now. :doh: Well, at least I got that album uploaded and slideshow finished before it started. Hopefully it will be back up and running soon.

Hands...down! A great subject.

This doesn't qualify as an entry (taken at a Habitat build I worked on in 2002), but I just want to share the pix.

Helping-Hands_web.jpg

Cute kids and baby's hands. How do you compete? :shrug: :lol2:

Working on this concept--first attempt. Suggestions & thoughts?

760936353_Qg3s3-L.jpg

I've seen a couple like this and here's what I enjoyed about them....

They were color, on the warm side with lots of the rich dark wood tones showing. The fingers were frozen as if picking a string which showed the rough cracked skin of the fingertips.

I see were you're going in the movement aspect, but to try and get the right motion captured will be the tough part I think.

Hands...down! A great subject.

This doesn't qualify as an entry (taken at a Habitat build I worked on in 2002), but I just want to share the pix.

Helping-Hands_web.jpg

Based on some of those hands, it looks like a few of those workers could stand to learn to be a bit more careful with their tools... :doh:

The one I entered is a picture of a picture I took in '97 with an HP 1 MP camera I had received as a gift when ordering a new HP Printer. I wonder how many people have seen this set of hands that really did effect me upon my first viewing of them. The place is suppose to reopen this Summer sometimes as it was closed for remodeling when I swung by there last Summer.

<< Based on some of those hands, it looks like a few of those workers could stand to learn to be a bit more careful with their tools... >>

Maybe. But consider this. Those hands collectively represent close to 1,000 years of tool use (average age on the build was 60+) and there were no "missing parts". I don't think a few minor dings are too much to get worried over.

But, you're right about job safety being important. It's too easy to get complacent ... and hurt. EVERY Habitat build we've been on began and ended each day with a safety discussion and no one has ever been pressured into working beyond their skills or comfort level.

Back