• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HID Lights Installed

Reaction score

Attachments

• Stock Halogen.jpg
    Stock Halogen.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 123
  • HID 8000K.jpg
    HID 8000K.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 135
Has anyone run that " blue light " in fog yet to see the reaction. I know that the amber lights let you see better in it that a white light does to to reflection.

are those the 35w or 55w? I know the 55w 8000K lean more to the white side than the 35w.

That looks way too blue for me. I've never seen a recommendation over 5K for HID if you want the best light output. 10k or 12k is going to be purple/violet.

I run a 55w 6k and it is the highest lumes output with out it being that oem yellow color that defeats the purpose of hids. It works amazing in fog seeing that i had to drive through it all Dec when i was working 1st shift. here is a pick of it in the garage not quite warmed up all the way with all the lights off and doors shut.
20255_107776622566153_100000014476574_219636_4038378_n.jpg
:sun:

SK, the slim ballast fit really nice on the inside fairing ledge one on each side, it's supplied
with very good two way tape. The wiring just zip ties out of the way.

5k is one of the lower colors with 6K being pure white. It's the same light as on the newer HID cars. Very little blue

Here is some info taken from the HID50 website, which is where I got my set up for my Adventure. It is consistent with everything else I have ever read on HID lighting.

Light Colour

The colour of light is represented by the temperature in degrees Kelvin
(Kelvin is a basic unit of thermodynamic temperature). "White" light is at
5600K.

1800 K - Candlelight
2700 K - Tungsten bulb (house bulbs, parking lights, sealed beams)
3200 K - Halogen bulb (uses tungsten filament)
4300 K - OEM HID light
5500 K - Camera flash
5600 K - White light reference point (midsummer sunlight, Washington DC)
5800 K - Directly overhead sunlight at the equator (the surface temp of the sun)
7000 - 12000K - light under overcast skies (reduced contrast)
12000 K and up - Ultra Violet light

Lighting for photography and movie work is typically either at 5000K,
5500K or 5600K. By choosing HIDs at either 5000K or 6000K you will get
the whitest light. Light at a source below 5000K takes on an
increasingly yellow tinge, while light above 6000K becomes increasingly
blue and purple. Contrast is strongest to the human eye when light has
a slight yellow tinge (thus high contrast glasses and ski goggles are
yellow-orange) and light beyond 6000 K sees contrast fall dramatically.
5000K light offers slightly higher contrast for the human eye than 6000K
light. On the other hand 6000K light has a very attractive purity to
it as it is the closest HID colour to overhead sunlight.

Very interesting information. Thanks. Probably would not be very fun running with them in the fog as good fog lights tend to be pretty amber.

Probably would not be very fun running with them in the fog as good fog lights tend to be pretty amber.
As i stated in my last post I am running a 55w 6k HID and in good old Texas fog i can see further and clearer than in my truck or my fathers truck witch has a $100 dollar set of fog lamps on it. The only color that i noticed actually performs worse in fog is the higher 9-12k bulbs because of the amount of color they put off; an example is my buddy's scooby that has 9ks and they are really vivid blue and they suck in the fog.

Very interesting information. Thanks. Probably would not be very fun running with them in the fog as good fog lights tend to be pretty amber.

I've seen the amber HID kits but... as a main beam, you'd probably be asking for trouble with the local LEOs. Maybe less than with the bright blue ones though...

l_95db03c3af974b61ba79446fdcebab00.png

trey

If you look back to spring 09, there is an HID thread under the Suzuki Bandits on this sight with lots of good info.

I'm using DDM 55w, 6K hi and low. Ballasts are mounted flat in nose of fairing with industrial strength velcro from Sears HW. Ignitors and wiring is tie-wrapped up out of the way on the frame. This light gives a very brilliant, almost icy, white. The light output is tremendous. You have to see it to believe it.

Personally, I like the 6k in 55W. It is about the cutoff point between the yellows and blues, below and above that temp respectively. As mentioned previously, in 35W the cutoff is probably 5k since the lower output allows more of the color to be visible.

Back