• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your "impassable" road pics here

Reaction score
Rebecca creek rd, at the guadalupe river, close to new braunfels, 2007.

193118526_M6kFt-L.jpg

RR 962 flooded by the Pedernales River. Obviously not taken anytime in the last few years.

2PedernalesRiverat962.jpg

3ClairePedernalesRiverat962.jpg

Here's the crossing on Sandy Creek on that same day.
14PaulClaireSandyCreekcrossing.jpg

This wasn't exactly "impassible" for me but it was for every bike out there and yes some did try and it is safe to say they had one heck of a time fishing them out.
4766_101224253221390_100000014476574_49712_2066272_n.jpg

No it is at Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan and during really rainy years you get this lake/ run-off river though the middle of the park and on bad days like the one pictured the only way across is either over or through.

Common Richard.. You know you could have just ridden a wheelie through that. :zen:

RR 962 flooded by the Pedernales River. Obviously not taken anytime in the last few years.

2PedernalesRiverat962.jpg

3ClairePedernalesRiverat962.jpg

Here's the crossing on Sandy Creek on that same day.
14PaulClaireSandyCreekcrossing.jpg

None of those roads are impassable . . . with the right boat.

Somewhere up in Oklahoma Southeast of Clayton... I don't know if this road even has a name or number :shrug:

DSC04979.JPG

DSC04981.JPG

So we had to do some back tracking...

This was the next day on a different road in the same general area. It seems they had some SERIOUS rains a few months back... :shock:

DSC04996.JPG

DSC04997.JPG

It doesn't look so bad in that second pic, but the water is actually quite deep, probably 3-4 feet. Those are big, slippery, chunks of the former road laying in the water. So once again we back tracked...

Looks familiar

18337076_7iFcL-L.jpg

Yep. that's the place. Lake has been up to level for a few years now. :thumb:

We took a family vacation there on a 56' houseboat when the kids were little. It was down 32' and it went down to 48' the next year. Still one of my favorite TX lakes.

I don't think I've ever encountered a part of a road or trail that was truly 'impassable'; where there's a will, there's a way and I absolutely despise turning around (I think it's an OCD trait), thus having a tendency to put myself and others through heck for the sake of continuing. The only exception I can think of was the AZ trip I took Scott and John on a couple of years ago, but I'll get to that in a minute...

Back in '01 I took a trip to Baja, and we decided to take a side trip to an old Spanish mission out in the middle of nowhere, near the bottom of Baja Norte. The map we had showed a trail going to it, then continuing past it, returning to the main route. It was a long and very tough trail with a lot of descents, but gravity worked in our favor and we didn't give it much thought because we weren't going to have to come back that way... well, the trail eventually ended at the mission, and I mean ended; we hiked around for a while trying to find anything that so much as resembled a trail, with nothing but shear cliffs etc :doh:. There was no way we were going to get out that day, so we camped at the mission, then got up early to fight our way back the way we came. It didn't help that we were out of water either. Pictures never do justice, but this hill (which came immediately after a very tough, deep swamp) was very steep and off-camber (in the wrong direction too), with a tight bend to the right about 1/2 way up. The boulders were basketball to beachball sized, and for some reason I refused to unload my XR :loco:
PDC_0468.jpg

We finally got the bikes up it, and the rest of the 15+ mile trail seemed so easy :zen:. After returning home I decided to research the old mission, discovering that it was nicknamed "Mission Impossible" :lol2:

The only time I can think of that stopped me (sort of) was the AZ trip in '07. It was the 1st day of the trip, and the river was very swollen. We'd ridden all day (another story) and I had no intention of turning back, but the crossing, while possibly doable, was flowing fast, and if it pushed just one of us over, the trip would be over for all of us on the 1st day.

The "crossing" (Photo courtesy of Scott):
IMG_0784.JPG

The 4wd quad had just crossed, but not without some tense moments... so we went up-river :-P
Doesn't look like we'll make it across here either :giveup:
DSCN2313.jpg

But like I said, where there's a will, there's a way :zen:

Last edited:
Impassable? I guess that applies to the drunk dude who once tried to cross Canyon Lake - on the boat ramp.

The "crossing" (Photo courtesy of Scott):
IMG_0784.JPG

The 4wd quad had just crossed, but not without some tense moments... so we went up-river :-P

:tab It is hard to tell in that shot, but he went over on his right side because the water was pushing so hard against the ATV. One of his other ATV buddies had to wade out with a wench cable to get him flipped back over and pull him out. It was at that point that we decided to look for another option :cool2:

Back