• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Neutral light

Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Floyd
Just developed a glitch on my bike. The green "neutral "light has become erratic. I'd suspect it to be the gear sensor. Bike Bandit on the web has a picture, and I can get it from them for about $75.
Anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking I might take it out and clean it (maybe a pintle is sticking)
It works part of the time but sometimes I have to play with the shifter to get it to come on in neutral. Suggestions?
Shotrod

Just developed a glitch on my bike. The green "neutral "light has become erratic. I'd suspect it to be the gear sensor. Bike Bandit on the web has a picture, and I can get it from them for about $75.
Anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking I might take it out and clean it (maybe a pintle is sticking)
It works part of the time but sometimes I have to play with the shifter to get it to come on in neutral. Suggestions?
Shotrod

Have you checked all of the electrical connections for the neutral light, and
have you checked that the gear position switch mounting screws are tight?

Haven't taken it apart yet..probably next week..of the two above, the most likely are the mounting screws..it's too consistant with movement of the shifter . Will let y'all know when I get to it.
Shotrod

Awhile back I commented on the neutral light being "iffy" and not coming on when the bike was in neutral.
It leads to no start with the kickstand down, and some uncertainty when coming to a stop where you want to let the clutch out.
I finally got to where I had a chance to look at it, and it wasn't too bad (in my case) to repair..
The switch sits just over the front sprocket, so you have to remove the side cover to accesss it just like you would do to replace the gear. Once you have the covers off, just look directly above the gear and you see a large switch with wires leading from it. Use a good allen head, for the bolts (2) are locktighted. I pulled mine out and used some electrical contact cleaner. It felt a bit gritty when I rotated it so I used the cleaner, blew it out with air, then used the cleaner again til it seemed to move freely. Reinstalled it (making sure the o-ring is in place) and then tried it...my problem is fixed...BTW the switch lists for about $75.
I seem to be the only one who this has happened to, but in case any of you have it happen...this worked for me :sun:
Shotrod

I am aware of one or two GSX65-F having suffered the same problem.
Seams to be quite isolated with only a few cases. On the GSX650F which has a gear position indicator, it only seams to affect neutral. The gears still get displayed without problem

Maybe the o-ring is being pinched when being installed causing a small amount of oil to get past. Not much oil, but enough to cause the sensor to muck up after a while.

I too have this problem on my K7 Bandit 1250SA but I've sort of got used to it. Was planning to get it fixed at the next service in a couple of months, but now you've posted this, I might try to fix it myself. It happened before, a year or so ago.

Thanks for sharing this.

I know the Suzuki DR650 neutral light switch screws came loose often, but I guess it could happen on many different bikes. When they come loose, the screws bounce around in the case and see what kind of trouble they can cause. First symptom is the light quits or gets erratic.

As El Bandito says, please check soon...

That's what his psychiatrist keeps telling him, "You are a patient, man." :rofl:

:rofl: tell me about it.

BTW Greg I owe you some thanks. I believe it's because of you I was able to download the 1250 workshop manual some time back, and this morning I used it as evidence during a dispute with a local Suzuki dealer, proving they sold me the wrong oil filter wrench (the one with the socket in it rather than the spanner attachment - there's no way fitting a socket behind those downpipes :doh: )

So - thanks for that :thumb:

Well, actually I'm the killjoy who knocks those links off of the board. Downloading copyrighted material without permission from the publisher is against the law - and boards which host such information have found themselves in legal trouble. To protect TWTex.com I bounce those posts.
I still recommend that you pick up a copy of the manual (I found one on eBay for around $40 last summer) because it's handy in the garage - and it will give you a clear conscience.

Just stumbled across this thread... I've been having the same neutral light problem for a month or so. Hadn't cracked the case to take a look yet, but now I know what I'm looking for. Thanks!

trey

Well, actually I'm the killjoy who knocks those links off of the board. Downloading copyrighted material without permission from the publisher is against the law - and boards which host such information have found themselves in legal trouble. To protect TWTex.com I bounce those posts.
I still recommend that you pick up a copy of the manual (I found one on eBay for around $40 last summer) because it's handy in the garage - and it will give you a clear conscience.

But then I'd never get the Bandit[fastest RED] into tripple digits! No see, you thought I meant on the road, I REALLY meant on a "closed course":rofl:

GregH sorry I now realise I was confusing you with Windman. But my thanks still stand as without your excellent forum I would probably never have obtained it (of course I deleted it straight after...)

GregH sorry I now realise I was confusing you with Windman. But my thanks still stand as without your excellent forum I would probably never have obtained it (of course I deleted it straight after...)

You're welcome. I never expected a happy guy posting about his new motorcycle would lead to all of this - more than 6,300 posts and 350,000 views in Mega-Thread!

Oh, and congratulations for walking the straight and narrow...

My neutral light was giving me the "iffy" fits as well. Oddly enough, when the engine was running, and I'd come to a stop, and shift it in to neutral on the fly or while stopped, the light would sometimes not come on. I noticed that if I moved the side stand a little, the light would kick on. Go figure.

The side stand switch is a sealed unit. I took the GP switch off and cleaned it and all seems well.........for now.

But in reading the schematics I cant for the life of me figure out how the Neutral Light turns on!!!

Can someone read through it and translate? I see the GP switch adn how it appears to provide a ground when in neutral, but I cant find out how it gets the hot to light the LED?

what page in the manual shows the wiring for the neutral light? If you let me know, i'll study and try to provide an explanation.

looks like through gps to a purple wire going to the ecm[prolly a powered line. this is just a quick look on my laptop scrn. I'll load the manual on work computer[19" screen] and see if its easier to find. My guess is that ecu/ecm box provides many powered lines for various things. hope this helps, if not give me a few more days to look it over.

Maybe I can get a friend with a huge printer to print it for me[he can do "b" size drawings=11x17"

Mine's gotten bad enough so that now (at times) if I put the kickstand down while in neutral, the engine dies. When I took the neutral switch out and cleaned what I could before..it worked normally for a few days.
Basically, wiring diagrams or not, apparently the neutral switch is bad..I just gotta shell out about $70 bucks for one.
It's got a logic circuit I can't figure out, probably because it goes thru the PCM.

Shotrod - you replaced this yet? If so, results?

Wanabeguru - you figured out the wiring diagram yet?

I cleaned mine, but after a day or two, the issue came back.

I'm curious about this switch. If the ECM knows what gear it's in via this switch, and the switch is giving erroneous outputs, will the engine not perform up to spec?

Back